MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   2003 S500 exhaust sound (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/664112-2003-s500-exhaust-sound.html)

kmcapitals8 04-25-2017 02:11 PM

2003 S500 exhaust sound

I have a 2003 S500. Although I love the exhaust note how it is stock, I wouldnt mind a little more throatier sound. When i bought the car, the car had quad exhaust tips installed in the back, of course knowing this was a weird feature I asked the guy and he said those where factory installed since new. I have yet to see those actually factory options, none the less, they where just tips when i looked underneath. The actual exhaust had a hole on the bottom of the tips, so the quad exhausts where for show only. I was wondering if anyone knows a good system or mufflers, like Borla or Flowmaster or on the line of those that can give the car a more throatier sound on the outside. I would not be opposed to take off the quad tips if the system or mufflers require it. Also i do not want to delete the resonator or cats. Thanks for any imput.

tusabes 04-25-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by kmcapitals8 (Post 7127360)
I have a 2003 S500. Although I love the exhaust note how it is stock, I wouldnt mind a little more throatier sound. When i bought the car, the car had quad exhaust tips installed in the back, of course knowing this was a weird feature I asked the guy and he said those where factory installed since new. I have yet to see those actually factory options, none the less, they where just tips when i looked underneath. The actual exhaust had a hole on the bottom of the tips, so the quad exhausts where for show only. I was wondering if anyone knows a good system or mufflers, like Borla or Flowmaster or on the line of those that can give the car a more throatier sound on the outside. I would not be opposed to take off the quad tips if the system or mufflers require it. Also i do not want to delete the resonator or cats. Thanks for any imput.

don't delete The cats, but if you want loud you need to delete everyting behind the cats with straight pipe . That means both the oem muffler and resonator get removed . Leaving these in will just leave your car quiet , no matter which aftermarket brand you choose

kmcapitals8 04-25-2017 02:26 PM

Will deleting the oem muffler and resonator throw up any error codes or messages from the ecu/ computer?

amstel78 04-26-2017 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by kmcapitals8 (Post 7127386)
Will deleting the oem muffler and resonator throw up any error codes or messages from the ecu/ computer?

No, but you will end up horrible drone on the highway.

618Syndicate 04-26-2017 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by amstel78 (Post 7128278)
No, but you will end up horrible drone on the highway.

You're absolutely correct. Have a shop put a pair of magnaflows on it. Got a pair on my Lexus LS 400 and they sound great.