S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

How much room under center console bin?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 S500 4Matic
How much room under center console bin?

I have a little tiny storage bin just in front of the shifter in my 2005 S500 4matic. It's normally covered by a spring-loaded sliding door, just below the dashboard ash tray.

I'm contemplating installing an extra lighter socket & USB power outlet in that bin.
Does anyone know if there's space underneath that bin for something like this:
http://a.co/813UqZa

Does the entire center console need to come out to get that bin out to modify it? I've found instructions in another post for removing the entire center console, I just need to know if the entire thing has to come out to get out just that little bin.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
See attached PDF instruction #4. Just reach in and unsnap it and it will come out. Not much room below as I remember.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install center console.pdf (100.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 S500 4Matic
So nearly a year and a half has passed and I finally got around to getting into this thing. I have a lighter power socket and a dual USB charger socket that I want to install in that location, and never could figure out if that storage bin comes out or not.
It does. In the PDF supplied above by mercy-me, it is item #9 on the diagram, and it is a piece of L-shaped plastic that is spray-flocked with black fuzzy texturing. To get it out, you really have to pull off the shift knob (untwist the base of the shift knob first), and pry off the plastic covers over the shift knob. Once those are out of the way, you push forward on the back wall of the plastic bin liner. It has two tabs that will disengage if you push it forward, and then you can pull it out. They show removing it at about the 0:45 mark in this youtube video:

There's not much room under the floor of that bin, as there's air-ducting beneath it. I believe my power and USB socket gadgets are too long to install as-is. I believe I can fabricate a new stowage-compartment floor that is shallower, or mount a small box above the stock floor so that the sockets will fit, but I'm not certain. I'll post back if I figure something out.

Last edited by Bugsi; 10-28-2018 at 09:51 PM.