S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Head Unit Stereo Cutting Off Problem!

Old 05-27-2017, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 2003
Head Unit Stereo Cutting Off Problem!

I have Mercedes S430 2003 and its stereo was cutting of as you see. It makes a sound from the CD as if the CD is changing 3 times and the music completely stop. I have to shut down the unit and turn it on again in order to work. I was doing that for like two months and it keeps cutting off more often till it stopped working at all. Also it had a black dot.

Today, I replaced the head unit and the new one worked fine for 20 mins and I was super happy. Then, the exact same thing happen, Cutting off!, and a sound from the head unit, not beeping but like "Teet Teet Teet". As if something is going through the CD or so!

I also recorded two videos to explain the problem!

Please advise!!

Video 1: https://youtu.be/6eubkys0YYk

Video 2: https://youtu.be/6HqGBvglme0
Old 12-09-2021, 12:16 PM

e320 wagon
Bringing back the dead! Alright smart folks... I purchased a 1998 e320 wagon for my son and a few weeks later the aftermarket sub stopped receiving signal and a few days later the head unit stopped sending out sound. The sub lost power, even though I had 12v at the wire. The head unit turns on, but no sound. We swapped out the head unit and still no sound. I'm stumped because it started with the aftermarket sub and then the head unit followed. Is there a fuse or something I'm missing? My son said he can hear music with his head near the speaker, but at full power it is whisper quiet. I'm open to suggestions, before I start rewiring the entire car, but I don't mind doing that either being an old school installer.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Sounds like some basic troubleshooting now needed . First you need to tell us what this car has and how it’s all connected .

Is it a factory or aftermarket radio ?

Are there separate amps for the highs and subs ?

Or is it using the built in radio power for highs ?

is the sub amp signal via rca cable inputs or speaker level inputs ?

If the sub is connected via speaker level inputs it makes sense it’s not getting sufficient signal

if the highs are using radio power , and you put in a different radio , there’s a wiring problem from the radio to the speakers

with the cheap cost and new features of new stereo components I’d just upgrade the whole system with new wiring . Get apple CarPlay and android auto for safety and ease of use
Old 12-09-2021, 12:59 PM

e320 wagon
I'll do my best with what I've seen without diving real deep into the issue.

Is it a factory or aftermarket radio? Aftermarket was installed and working at the time of purchase

Are there separate amps for the highs and subs? From what I can tell, the PO had the sub on it's own amp and utilized the original power from the car to power the other speakers.

Or is it using the built in radio power for highs?

is the sub amp signal via rca cable inputs or speaker level inputs ? Sub amp is via signal from RCAs and blue wire

If the sub is connected via speaker level inputs it makes sense it’s not getting sufficient signal - keep in mind, the sub was working fine and just quit

with the cheap cost and new features of new stereo components I’d just upgrade the whole system with new wiring . Get apple CarPlay and android auto for safety and ease of use - I think doing the wiring and adding a new amp for the highs might be my best bet. Then I can eliminate the unknows about the factory amp and all that wiring.