MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   Rust Removal (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/676205-rust-removal.html)

Lpicture 07-31-2017 04:04 PM

Rust Removal

Please can someone give suggesstions on how to remove rust from underneath my 2006 S430 4MATIC........just purchased it from New Jersey and drove back to New Orleans....H E L P!!!:bow:

larrypmyers 07-31-2017 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lpicture (Post 7226000)
Please can someone give suggesstions on how to remove rust from underneath my 2006 S430 4MATIC........just purchased it from New Jersey and drove back to New Orleans....H E L P!!!:bow:

Photos would be helpful so as to ascertain extent of the rust.

tusabes 08-01-2017 01:52 AM

Buy some evaporust or rust converter on Amazon

wallyp 08-01-2017 08:56 AM

That really depends upon what your goal is.

Are you looking at just stopping the rust, and don't care what the bottom looks like?

Do you want to make the bottom look new again?

Where would you like to be between these two extremes?

Lpicture 08-01-2017 12:17 PM

I want ALL RUST removed from all the under carriage, control arms, etc. and for RUST not to return ever again. This one I'm gonna keep. My first was a 250- 1969.....

Lpicture 08-01-2017 12:19 PM

Taking the parts off and soakingthem is not my preferred option....One where I can lift the car and remove would be best..............I'm at a lost. Will try and post some pics as soon as I can get back into a shop .......Harold

Lpicture 08-01-2017 12:21 PM

Hmmnn......I would prefer the new bottom look but I guess the cost and process would guide my decision so yes I want it to look new again........ponders that $

tusabes 08-01-2017 02:22 PM

You're not going to get it to look new again (at least not without sobering several thousands of dollars ) so forget that idea .

If if its just surface rust you are seeing , Spray a rust converter product like por15 or equivalent which will turn the rust into a shiny black protective coating

you don't want to get it to bare /raw metal as that will instantly start to surface rust again

if it's more than surface rust and is bubbling up from the underneath then this is not the car to keep forever , sell it and buy one from California not New Jersey

Samorai981 09-16-2017 01:42 AM

Will try it

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 7226929)
You're not going to get it to look new again (at least not without sobering several thousands of dollars ) so forget that idea .

If if its just surface rust you are seeing , Spray a rust converter product like por15 or equivalent which will turn the rust into a shiny black protective coating

you don't want to get it to bare /raw metal as that will instantly start to surface rust again

if it's more than surface rust and is bubbling up from the underneath then this is not the car to keep forever , sell it and buy one from California not New Jersey

thanks
will try it on my car

tusabes 09-16-2017 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Samorai981 (Post 7265128)
thanks
will try it on my cat

While it's good to always try rust removal on a test panel before you work on your car, I don't think your cat will like it . It might even poison them!

lol

C3Duece 09-17-2017 04:01 AM

Bad news bud but the real truth is you can't ever stop it from spreading unless you cut it out and replace it with new metal. You can grind/patch/epoxy/prime/paint/sand/buff and it will just bleed through again after it gets rained on 5-10 times. You'll have to do this twice a year just to keep it looking decent.

Some people have resorted to plasti dipping the entire car. There's a thread here somewhere where a guy did it to his 2002 E55 and say's after a year in michigan there's been no bleed through.