S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Lesson Learned, S500 over high water, need input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Lesson Learned, S500 over high water, need input

On my way to home, I drove over high water. Got home okay. The next day, I started my car and drove around the neighborhood. Then the next day I tried to start the car and get no feedback from the car, no click, no response.

Got the car jump started by AAA and drove 8 miles to my office. It was sluggish first so I drove around the block 3 times to make sure it does not die on me. Then I drove to the office parking garage. Took the key out of the ignition and reinsert it back, same thing, no click, no response. BTW, there is feedback from the instrument cluster, CD player works after a pause...

Got the car towed to my mechanic. Diagnosis: battery, starter and alternator is good. Wet carpet in the rear passenger seats. Contacted AAA insurance and is awaiting adjuster. Car is covered under comprehensive with a $1000 deductible. There is not a pool of water in the back seats but the mechanic claimed the carpet was wet.

The question is, is the car worth fixing? Or it is so bad and don't even think about it! Paid $7000, had new belt (even though not needed), new engine and transmission mount replaced (much needed). The car has 117000 miles, 2002 S500 LWB, key less entry with starter button, soft close doors, and the rest are the basic options on your base S500. It has been maintained by the dealer up to 115000 miles and I have all records. The rear air suspension was replaced at 99000 miles. Every thing works except the driver side sun visor. My mechanic's verdict: not worth fixing, too many modules, it is like a black hole, fix one module and then the next module and so on and so on. Most likely the car would be totaled. Is it worth buying the car back, have a mechanic rip out the seats and dry it out, and replace the modules as needed? I know a place that has 4 S500 models, ranging from 2001 to 2004. I bought the ash tray and a sun visor (still does not work) from him, installed at $23. So I think I can get the modules (if needed) for cheap. He is looking to transfer the engines and transmissions on the S500 and the BMW 7 series to older classic cars. Can some of you send a detail instructions in a step by step format like:

- rip out carpet
- rip out seat
- get to the modules (specify locations and which one)
- let them dry
- replace module if necessary
- put everything back

Also would appreciate if you could estimate the cost of the labor to get the car back on the road to do the above items. Th cost of labor for a professional MB special mechanic to put the car back to operational. Is it even unreal to think about putting this car back on the road? Any comments or input appreciated? By Tuesday I will know how much I will get back from the AAA adjuster.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Sengr, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have multiple problems. First question - did your mechanic run Star diagnostics on the car or did he just take a casual glance and decided it wasn't worth fixing.

You first need to find out how the water got on the inside of the car.

You could probably start by taking a look at your reed valve. It is the grate looking thing that is near the windshield on the passenger side (US version). If it is filled with any kind of debris then that is where your water problems start. It must be kept clean of any kind of debris, leaves, pine needles, and so on. I have attached a picture of the reed valve.

Next question - how did they jump start the car? If it is not done properly then another set of electronic problems can be created.

Next question - did the mechanic pull up the carpet in the rear to see if there was water pooling? IF not, then you really need to find another mechanic. Matter of fact, he should have pulled up all of the carpet to do a complete assessment.

After pulling up the carpet and you see water pooling then most like you have fried some electronic modules such as the SAM units.

You have to remember that insurance adjusters work for insurance companies. Their job is to give you the least amount they can possibly get away with.

Running complete diagnostics on the car would really help determine if is is worth investing the money/time to fix the problems.

Last edited by ibeforreal; 09-05-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
It didn't attach the first time.