Dension Gateway 500 USB only Trunk install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2006 S430 AMG
UPDATED: Dension Gateway 500 USB/Aux only Trunk install

Hi All,

I just acquired a beautiful S430 AMG Package with 100k. Car is amazing and everything works.

I have a Denision Gateway 500 in the trunk and would like to install it. I don't really care for Aux/Bluetooth or any other option other than USB. I want to be able to simply play my music off USB stick and call it a day. I have all of my music organized by Folder>WMA or MP3 filews. As long as I can scroll thru it and select the songs I'm good.

What would be the easiest/best way to go about the install. I don't really want to connect the unit directly to battery as it will drain it, so I was thinking Power/Ground of the CD changer.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by S430AMG; 09-27-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2006 S430 AMG
I managed to figure it out. Hope this helps others.

My S430 has a similar set up to SkyLaw instructions (MOST I believe). Mounting it up front seemed too complicated and involving based on instructions. Also, I did not need or want Bluetooth or IPod integration. My goal was simple: Enable USB and Aux to work. I have never really used Bluetooth on any of my cars (even though they have it). I also own an Android Smartphone.

It ended up being a pretty easy install. but required some troubleshooting at first.

I have to take it all apart again as I dropped one of the hooks behind the mount so pictures to come.

- Remove the rear liner. I removed 2 hooks/screws on the plastic trunk piece and 1 on the side cover. I managed to wiggle it out with some bending of the panel (no damage).

- Unscrew the bracket: 2 screws on the bottom, 1 on the left/top side of the bracket and one to the top right. Unit has to be clipped on the bottom for it to come out. It tucks away nicely with plenty of wire length to see everything and access.

- I found my power and ground on the Motorola unit itself. There was a Red/Yellow wire (Power) and Brown wire (ground). I used 2 snapcaps to tap into these (no splicing/cutting needed).

- I unplugged the CD Changer Optical wire (Orange) And plugged it into the Triangle Optical wire that goes to the gateway 500. At first it wouldn't work as I had it plugged into the wrong side of the Gateway unit. It needs to go into 1st Optical connection on the left/not right. I plugged the other end of the Optical to the CD Changer.

- I simply tucked the unit away behind the Bracket once mounted back up and pulled the USB and Aug wires thru the rear light access panel. It will be an easy access to these thru the panel. I'm in process of purchasing a long Aux to run to the front middle console.

USB started right up when I turned on the power. Access is pretty straight forward by accessing various menus by changing the Disk on the CD Changer. Obviously CD changer no longer works (which I don't use anyways). I have my music organized by Folders. Folder of the Artist and Tracks int he folder. Screen shows all the Folder names and song names by accessing Disk 1 on the Changer.

It sounds great! I haven't tested the Aux yet....more news to come.