S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Instrument cluster odo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
Instrument cluster odo

So I've done a lot of searching and trying to figure out how to swap out my instrument cluster with a used one I have.
I found instructions to do it with DAS for a w210, but I dont think it will work for a w220
It looks like the only real option is to reflash the eeprom to zero it out and then I can copy it. But I'm not sure if even that will work, as my car is an 01, and the replacement is an 03.
I tried just swapping the LCD screen, but it didn't work, and they are both quite different.
I also read somewhere that the dash will reprogram itself to match the EIS mileage? But it hasn't seem so as it displays the wrong odometer still.
It has to go up annoyingly, if it was just a higher ODO or even somewhat close, I'd not care. but it will be a big problem when I must have it inspected and it's lower then it was reported 6 years ago.
I could in theory just tap into the ABS signal wires and just give them signal that the car is doing 500mph, but that would still take 200 hours to get close to the correct digit. Not sure how fast I could actually trick the car into thinking its going either.

I have DAS developer if that helps.

The last thing I can think of that I can do is just swap all the back-light components over, but I'd rather not spend all the time doing it.
I was able to repair the original one a bit, but then it started smoking and one of the transformers failed. Probably why it killed the Fets in the first place.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 450 GLS (2019)
FIX for instrument cluster staying on.

I don’t know if all of this is required, but here is what I did that worked.

i started the car, stopped it (stayed inside)
hit Park (even though I was already in park).
then I hit the brakes twice quickly and firmly and the cluster immediately went off!

i think all you need to do is make sure everything is off after turning off the car, then hit the brakes firmly twice quickly.

when I got back out, locked the car, the interior lights went out, then the running board and vanity ground light (the one that comes from the side mirror). Then the headlights and taillights went out. The instrument cluster stayed on for maybe another 30 seconds and then went off. Hope it works for you guys!
Old 05-06-2021, 09:01 AM

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
2005 S600 2005 SL600
Mike - I don’t know how you found this thread, but the question, from three years ago, was what programming was needed to get a cluster to work in a different model year car. This requires programming of the module using DAS.

Your answer was how to get a working cluster to shut down when you turn off your GLS...a totally different issue, in a totally different model.