2002 S500 headlight stays on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
2002 S500 headlight stays on

2002 S500

Usually when I hit the unlock button on my keyfob, a couple lights flash and the doors unlock. Today, the lights flashed but the front headlights and tailights turned on and stayed on. I started up the car and got a "Low Beam, L" error. I got out and both headlights looked fine.

Got home, closed the door and locked the doors with my keyfob. Again the front headlights and taillights stayed on and turned off after about 20-30 seconds. I noticed the instrument cluster was still lit up after the headlights/taillights went out and the cluster took another 10-15 seconds to turn off.

Also, when you turn on the car, the heat/ac turns on by itself. I have to turn it off manually. I have goblins in my car lol

Really weird....Im reading could be SAM issue...

help?

Last edited by imtheking; 03-22-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by imtheking
2002 S500

Usually when I hit the unlock button on my keyfob, a couple lights flash and the doors unlock. Today, the lights flashed but the front headlights and tailights turned on and stayed on. I started up the car and got a "Low Beam, L" error. I got out and both headlights looked fine.

Got home, closed the door and locked the doors with my keyfob. Again the front headlights and taillights stayed on and turned off after about 20-30 seconds. I noticed the instrument cluster was still lit up after the headlights/taillights went out and the cluster took another 10-15 seconds to turn off.

Also, when you turn on the car, the heat/ac turns on by itself. I have to turn it off manually. I have goblins in my car lol

Really weird....Im reading could be SAM issue...

help?
do you have one or both of the AUTO dial pushed out on the AC control panel ?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes

do you have one or both of the AUTO dial pushed out on the AC control panel ?
Yes. They are BOTH out. They have always been out. Heat/AC never turned on by themselves when I turned the car on. This is the first time.

I also reset my instrument cluster by holding down the R for a few seconds and this seems to have fixed the headlights/taillights staying on issue. Later on I played with the settings and I did see an option for the headlights to stay on for 0, 5, 10, 15 seconds etc...The factory reset put it back to Zero.

In any event, this morning the doors unlocked with the regular lights flashing, no headlights turned on

Just funny how everything started to go crazy without me changing any settings....
Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by imtheking
Yes. They are BOTH out. They have always been out. Heat/AC never turned on by themselves when I turned the car on. This is the first time.

I also reset my instrument cluster by holding down the R for a few seconds and this seems to have fixed the headlights/taillights staying on issue. Later on I played with the settings and I did see an option for the headlights to stay on for 0, 5, 10, 15 seconds etc...The factory reset put it back to Zero.

In any event, this morning the doors unlocked with the regular lights flashing, no headlights turned on

Just funny how everything started to go crazy without me changing any settings....
if you push both Auto Dials in, then turn the system off it will not come on automatically . If the dials are sticking out it will turn on automatically
Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes

if you push both Auto Dials in, then turn the system off it will not come on automatically . If the dials are sticking out it will turn on automatically
Update- My sunroof does not open. No power going to it. The left/right reading lights don't turn on either. Everything else on the overhead console works fine.

I took out fuse 77 from the fuse box in the rear behind the seat and no luck. I also disconnected the battery and again nothing. All these strange electrical issues. Really weird.

I think I need to get a diagnostic and pull some codes. I'm thinking bad SAM or a battery beginning to go