MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   S500 does not start or recognise the key (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/705437-s500-does-not-start-recognise-key.html)

Out The Benz 04-23-2018 01:52 PM

S500 does not start or crank when key is in the ignition

I have a 2001 S500 and the other day I disconnected the battery thinking it would solve the window problem I've been having; it didn't. so facing that fact I reconnected the battery, turned it back on and when then I got the visit workshop warning pop up for the ABS, ESP and Airmatic. So I turned it off and left it alone for a week and when I tried to turn it back on it just cranked but wouldn't turn over, so I pulled the starter fuse and replaced it with one that could take the equal amount of current that I took from the left S.A.M. module, and then I tried to start it again. This time the car didn't even register that the was in the ignition, nothing. I can turn it all the way but nope nothing. I tried using my spare key but that didn't work. I know my voltage isn't the problem, but I will probably replace the battery anyway. At this point I'm really lost and need any help I can get.

Plutoe 04-23-2018 06:40 PM

You can't have it both ways---if the key turns------it aint the key., if the key doesent turn it could be the key or the ignition module----an expensive trip therefore i would have the car quick tested to define which one is faulty or continue on your FUUA approach and get nothing done!!

Out The Benz 04-30-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 7437585)
You can't have it both ways---if the key turns------it aint the key., if the key doesent turn it could be the key or the ignition module----an expensive trip therefore i would have the car quick tested to define which one is faulty or continue on your FUUA approach and get nothing done!!

What I meant by it not recognizing the key was that when i put the key in the ignition and turn it nothing happens, no display lights turn on.. nothing and i'm sure its not the key or the EIS because i have a spare key and that one doesn't work ether, and the car only has 20k miles so i doubt the EIS is the problem, therefore im at a loss.

Plutoe 04-30-2018 06:56 PM

If you are resisting to do a good quick test on the ignition system then all you are going to get is WAG---have you tested, not looked at,but tested the starting relay and or fuse. Have you applied voltage directly to the starter to determine its state---if not, then get off the couch and start testing rather than hoping for a two state solution to solve your problem, because it won't!!

Out The Benz 05-01-2018 01:21 PM

Think Twice

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 7443371)
If you are resisting to do a good quick test on the ignition system then all you are going to get is WAG---have you tested, not looked at,but tested the starting relay and or fuse. Have you applied voltage directly to the starter to determine its state---if not, then get off the couch and start testing rather than hoping for a two state solution to solve your problem, because it won't!!

I'd like to get one thing straight, the last thing that i've been doing this past week has been "sitting on the couch". the moment i get home from school im troubleshooting and working on the odds and ends of my benz. I spend hours on w220 forums trying to find a solution, but have come up empty handed, and by no means do i stop and "sit on the couch". whenever i hit a dead end, i just try something different. and To answer your question yea i have replaced the relay, and done much more. Yet what do i get when i ask for bit of knowledge? absolutely nothing except for dumbass over here talking to me like i'm some degenerate that "sits on the couch" all day and throws insults my way like i don't know what i'm doing. Well you are mistaken.

tusabes 05-01-2018 01:45 PM

I think what he meant is you need to do a proper scanning using a STAR machine , not just trying random stuff like pulling fuses and switching them around . Trying random stuff is what is causing your more electrical problems

at this point if you haven't been driving the car and the alternator hasn't been charging the battery it is likely drained to the point it can't start the car. When these batteries drain they don't sound like other cars with dead batteries that crank slow , they don't crank at all

or maybe you blew the main fuses under the passenger cArpet

be careful if you try to jump start as you can do much more damage

Out The Benz 05-01-2018 02:12 PM

Out The Benz 05-01-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes (Post 7443966)
I think what he meant is you need to do a proper scanning using a STAR machine , not just trying random stuff like pulling fuses and switching them around . Trying random stuff is what is causing your more electrical problems

at this point if you haven't been driving the car and the alternator hasn't been charging the battery it is likely drained to the point it can't start the car. When these batteries drain they don't sound like other cars with dead batteries that crank slow , they don't crank at all

or maybe you blew the main fuses under the passenger cArpet

be careful if you try to jump start as you can do much more damage

I completely understand that the battery can drain, that's why i have it hooked up to a trickle charger with the battery at about 13v, and no i haven't been pulling random fuses out. the only fuse i've messed with was the starter relay, which i replaced. I have also checked all the fuse box locations including the two hidden ones under the passenger footwell and the one in the trunk and those "main fuses" seem to be fine. I have also looked at and checked countless other parts with no luck, but i sure as hell am not going to give up and "sit on the couch".