S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2002 S500. Taillight stays on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
2002 S500. Taillight stays on

I noticed that my left tailight was on when I got home yesterday. I turned the car on and turned the headlights on and off to every position and the one taillight would not turn off. I locked/unlocked the doors multiple times and nothing. I took the bulb out for now.

Also, my right front headlight says "check low beam R". This was happening before and I replaced the ballast about 2 months ago with a used one off ebay. Again, the headlight has gone bad

Ideas?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by imtheking
I noticed that my left tailight was on when I got home yesterday. I turned the car on and turned the headlights on and off to every position and the one taillight would not turn off. I locked/unlocked the doors multiple times and nothing. I took the bulb out for now.

Also, my right front headlight says "check low beam R". This was happening before and I replaced the ballast about 2 months ago with a used one off ebay. Again, the headlight has gone bad

Ideas?
are you sure your headlight switch was pointed straight up ?

the straight up position is the off position , and if the headlight switch is turned all the way to the left , the left tail light will stay on

as that's a feature intended for parking in narrow European streets
Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes

are you sure your headlight switch was pointed straight up ?

the straight up position is the off position , and if the headlight switch is turned all the way to the left , the left tail light will stay on

as that's a feature intended for parking in narrow European streets
Yes, I'm positive it was in the off position. I turned the headlights on and off 100 times and that one taillight would not turn off
This morning I put the bulb back in and it was turning on and off (flickering). It finally turned off on its own

I dropped it off at my indy this morning. When I got there and turned the car off/locked the doors, everything was fine. Going to have him see what codes were stored. I've been having a lot of weird electrical issues lately. Taillight staying on, instrument cluster resetting settings on its own, front headlight ballast going out etc....
Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 PM

Update- Rear SAM has gone bad. (under seat) causing taillight to stay on

Also, ballast for headlight needs to be replaced. They noticed I have aftermarket bulbs which they said may have incorrect wattage causing issues. They recommended going with genuine bulbs