MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   Time for a Brake Job: Need tips on Calipers, Rotors, Stainless lines and bolts... (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/711643-time-brake-job-need-tips-calipers-rotors-stainless-lines-bolts.html)

BayArchitect 06-22-2018 05:06 PM

Time for a Brake Job: Need tips on Calipers, Rotors, Stainless lines and bolts...

Removed.

pierrejoliat 06-22-2018 07:27 PM

I purchased pads and rotors for 340.00 complete with new wear sensors from Auto Parts Warehouse, came with drilled/ slotted rotors and ceramic pads so not much brake dust, I thought it was a pretty good price for four rotors and front and rear pads.

pierrejoliat 06-22-2018 07:30 PM

Eeuroparts has them in the stock configuration as well... meaning organic pads and OEM rotors,

tusabes 06-23-2018 12:55 AM

Best supplier is fcpeuro.com

they offer a lifetime warranty on all parts , even wear items like brakes

BayArchitect 06-25-2018 12:29 PM

Thanks for the comments regarding which parts company is "best", however, FCP Euro carries no stainess brake lines or bolts for my car. They carry a number of rotor/pad combinations, but which one to buy? I guess the first question I'm grappling with is: "Which rotor/pad combination is better (quality) for slightly agressive street driving, using stock calipers?" Does anyone have an opinion about this?

pierrejoliat 06-25-2018 01:22 PM

I have an opinion, if you don't mind cleaning the brake dust inside and outside of your wheels weekly stock parts with organic pads work well, if this is annoying to you,like me the ceramic pads and drilled-slotted rotors from APW might be better. Dust is reduced significantly with no performance sacrifice. Again just opinion, I have not taken two S500's one with stock organics and one with aftermarket ceramics and done 60-0 tests. I can attest to the reduction in dust however.

tusabes 06-25-2018 06:25 PM

Yeah I don’t think youll
find anyone who has done scientific 60-0 tests or even. Back to back comparisons .

the thing I like about Fcpeuro is that they only carry high quality parts since they offer their own lifetime warranty on them - they are concerned about customer returns and don’t want a high warranty expense - so you won’t see the lower quality brands and parts that other suppliers sell .

The oem brake lines are more than capable in these cars , just use oem

BayArchitect 08-03-2018 02:25 PM

YES! I like FCP Euro for the same reasons. And when they have the item in stock, it's usually reasonably priced.
I found the SS brake lines made to fit a 2002 CL600: Goodridge 34004 G-Stop Brake Lines Sold in a kit of four lines. They appear to be good quality. About $120, available from more than one source online.
I have about 50 years experience building motorcycles and cars. There are qualitative and quantitative reasons for using SS braided lines on both. "More than capable" isn't good enough if there is better product. You can really feel the difference with SS braided lines--sort of like switching to polyurethane bushings.

Rhino-1 08-03-2018 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BayArchitect (Post 7519935)
YES! I like FCP Euro for the same reasons. And when they have the item in stock, it's usually reasonably priced.
I found the SS brake lines made to fit a 2002 CL600: Goodridge 34004 G-Stop Brake Lines Sold in a kit of four lines. They appear to be good quality. About $120, available from more than one source online.
I have about 50 years experience building motorcycles and cars. There are qualitative and quantitative reasons for using SS braided lines on both. "More than capable" isn't good enough if there is better product. You can really feel the difference with SS braided lines--sort of like switching to polyurethane bushings.

So which rotors/pad combo did you decide to go with? I, too, will need to replace my rotors/pads soon, and I value brake performance over the cleanliness factor. Thanks.

BayArchitect 08-03-2018 03:52 PM

Hi Rhino:
I purchased the FCP Euro Combination Kit at this link:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...n-w220amgfrbk1
They fit, they work, and it's a free replacement when it wears out. I looked at aftermarket big brakes, but they were 8 or 10 times the price--and Bigger. I've never needed more brakes on this car, and I don't need to increase the unsprung weight, so I think "stock" is a good approach for calipers, rotors and pads. I powder coated the calipers in Guards Red (careful to protect the holes and threads). Also, the original rotors and calipers pretty much fill the 18" AMG Monoblocks (which I really like), so I believe there's no need to risk interference issues that often come with Big brakes.

Rhino-1 08-03-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BayArchitect (Post 7520033)
Hi Rhino:
I purchased the FCP Euro Combination Kit at this link:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...n-w220amgfrbk1
They fit, they work, and it's a free replacement when it wears out. I looked at aftermarket big brakes, but they were 8 or 10 times the price--and Bigger. I've never needed more brakes on this car, and I don't need to increase the unsprung weight, so I think "stock" is a good approach for calipers, rotors and pads. I powder coated the calipers in Guards Red (careful to protect the holes and threads). Also, the original rotors and calipers pretty much fill the 18" AMG Monoblocks (which I really like), so I believe there's no need to risk interference issues that often come with Big brakes.

That's a good looking kit--thanks. I too have the AMG appearance package (wheels, etc.), and agree that the caliper and rotors are sufficient and look great (the calipers look like Brembo 4-pistons...). I'll be ordering that kit soon.

BayArchitect 08-03-2018 06:06 PM

Yes--my fronts are Brembo 4-piston calipers and the rear are two-piston. I purchased a nice set of calipers off Ebay, cleaned and powder-coated them. I purchased the Brembo stencils that may come from only one mfr. and stenciled "BREMBO" in white epoxy paint. Easy. One of my pistons had a tiny scratch on it, and harmless scuffing on the ring which contacts the pads. I purchased all new OE pistons because I don't want to worry about that kind of stuff. I've had the car for about a year, and I still can't stop smiling when I drive it.