S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Factory HID headlight replacement options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML63 P30
Lightbulb Factory HID headlight replacement options?

Hello,

I've been looking into replacing my OEM HID headlights. The output is horrible, I've polished the covers and replaced the bulbs. Everything looks great but the output isn't there.

My bet is on the projectors, they're burnt out. I don't want to dig into the headlight and replace them. I know these cars can have brittle wires.

Has anyone with the factory HIDs replaced their headlights succesfully? I know DEPO lights are a straight swap.

Any other options? I would prefer to remove the D2S system and install aftermarket H7 HID in new headlights.

Has anyone handled the CANBUS system and the errors it would display?
Old 08-31-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Get the depos Unless you plan to spend many hours to “build your own” lights by baking the lens on your existing lights in your oven to remove the sealant , mounting new projectors inside your lights , etc . It’s a huge pain but some people enjoy doing it

heres a good place to get the depos
https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/store/

beware of eBay seller advertising depo but sending a different Chinese clone . Also be sure to get the lights for cars with factory xenon if your car has factory xenon , as they have the automatic leveling feature . Sellers often sell the version for cars with factory halogen
Old 09-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 s500 4matic
Im kind of in the same boat, in my case the lens covers are pretty much shot and although I have seen lens covers for sale it may just be easier to replace the whole unit. I think there is an issue with the auto level feature, that a lot of w220's have and the fact that I do believe is only available from DEPO? HAs anybody tried installing a headlight that does not auto level? Would error codes be present?

Anybody have thoughts on these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/171168253303?ul_noapp=true

Last edited by briknope; 09-28-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-29-2018, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Did you see my post above ? Don’t buy eBay lights especially
if you have xenon with auto level , you need genuine depo with auto level . You’re already saving $2000 not buying oem , it’s not the time to cheap out to save $100 not buying depo with auto level