S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC suspension questions

Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
ABC suspension questions

Hello. I'm running across some issues with the ABC suspension and I'm having trouble finding information about the specific problems I'm having.

I need to replace all four accumulators since the ride is very bouncy and trips the red ABC light for a fraction of a second when going over dips/bumps. Seems simple enough. But I'm having two other problems that aren't as simple and have a lack of documentation online.

The car inexplicably rises to max ride height while driving, then re-adjusts itself by lowering to standard ride height every time the car is stationary and the brake pedal is released. Upon releasing the brake pedal while stopped for a few seconds, I can hear a clunk noise coming from the rear end of the vehicle (valve block?) as if the valve blocks are opening/closing to attempt to readjust suspension height whether it is at its max ride height or not. These are very strange symptoms and I haven't heard of anyone else having these problems. The valve blocks seem to be fine because all corners sit level with no sagging for a long time after car is parked. So I'm ruling those out. Can failed accumulators cause the ride height to max out while driving?

If not the accumulators being the cause of this strange issue, I have one other culprit that may be the issue but it seems unlikely. I have a failed ride height sensor for the rear right corner, and it prevents the car from being lowered/raised from the interior switch. However, this has been broken long before the strange raising/lowering issue, so it seems unlikely to me as that being the cause of the problem too. Also, I cannot find the part number to this ride height sensor. Is it shared between the W215 and the W220?

Finally, I would like to know if any of the accumulators have varying part numbers. Does every accumulator use the same part #2203270115? I recall there being larger ones and smaller ones throughout the system, so I'm not sure if they are all the same or not. Also, is the pressure dampener the same accumulator #2203270115? I couldn't find any information on that either. Thank you all for your time, and I'm sorry if any of these issues or concerns seemed noobish to some of you as this is the first time I'm ever dealing with ABC problems 4 years into my purchase. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Only two of the spheres have the same part number , the other two are different part numbers

I always used to post the part numbers so if you search my prior posts with keyword accumulators you’ll find them

the height sensors are simple and easy to change

I got four used ones on eBay for $30 and yes they are shared across Models . Replace your accumulators with new , your bad ride height sensor with used parts , then see if you still have the raising issue . It will probably be fixed
Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Perhaps a leak through the valve blocks locking valve making car raise slowly then correct? Does it lower when you park it? At least they are rebuildable
Old 09-28-2018, 01:10 AM

S55 AMG
What are the part numbers for the larger accumulators? Does the vibration damper use the small accumulator? I could only find the small ones (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...tor-2203270115)

Also is it a good idea to change all four height sensors or can I get away with changing just the bad one? Hopefully my interior raise/lower button will start working again. I am only getting blue ABC message on the dash btw. No red light unless going over a bump for fraction of a second.

Also I hope I have not caused damage to the system since the fluid is very dark (black) and smells very burnt. The fluid is only 20k miles old, but has been in the system for four years now. Probably should flush it asap, but I need to get that raise/lower interior button working so I can bleed the system after the fluid flush properly.

And yes, the car raises slowly only when in gear and moving. When stopped, the car stops raising and lowers itself after the brake pedal is released (at a stoplight, stopsign, etc.)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:08 AM

Benz
No sense in replacing level sensors that aren’t damaged or testing bad. Flush the fluid really well and reevaluate.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:44 PM

S55 AMG
Just wanted to update this thread.

I changed all four accumulators and "flushed" the fluid. I thought the system took 10 liters of fluid but it only took 4 liters until the fluid was clean. And the fluid was VERY dirty. So I am surprised at how little fluid it took to clean the system. Where did the other 6 liters of fluid in the system go?

Anyways, car rides like a dream now. I forgot how an s class actually drives like, since I drove it for over a year with dirty fluid and shot accumulators. I hope I didn't cause any damage to the struts/pump since the struts would constantly raise to max height and lower to lowest height every minute on a daily basis for over a year.

All corners are properly level, no inexplicable raising/lowering while driving, no horrible tuna boat bouncy ride, and no horrible burnt hydraulic fluid smell throughout the car. I am very happy with the results. However, I am still unable to raise/lower the car from the interior button because I found out that the "plunger sensor" for the right rear strut failed, so I have to replace the whole strut just to get that function working again. Other than that everything seems to be working fine as of now, I cannot bleed the air out of the system with the raise/lower button since it doesn't work, so will air eventually work its way out if I just keep driving it?

One observation I made is that a rodeo test is absolutely unnecessary for any type of abc service. It actually makes it worse by dislodging gunk stuck throughout the system and destroying the components it comes across. Its like doing an engine flush on a sludgy engine, or a transmission flush on a very old transmission for the first time. Just fix whatever needs to be fixed and top off the fluid. If you need to flush the fluid, don't use any tools or rodeo. Just connect the hose to a bucket and fill the reservoir as the old fluid comes out while the car is running. That's it.
​​​​​​​
Also, do you guys think its a good idea to change the filter and flush the fluid two more times within a couple weeks just to make sure all that crap has gotten out?
Old 12-23-2018, 02:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2004 S600, 1998 M3, 1974 2002 Touring, 2006 Cayman S
When I services my system, in did 2 filter changes for good measure. Can't hurt.

I would imagine the system should bleed the air out given how much pressure the fluid is under when going through the lines.

When pushing the button, does the instrument cluster give any feedback on what's going on?
Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 AM

S55 AMG
The buttons for the ride height control and abc sport mode are completely dead. They do absolutely nothing when pressed. I came to the conclusion that it is only because of the failed sensor inside the strut, which is logging an error code for the ABC system and preventing the buttons from being functional. White ABC message on dash is persistent and never goes away, unless the R button is pressed of course. That is the only fault code for ABC though, so I rather have one bad strut sensor over anything else haha.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 AM

Benz
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Just wanted to update this thread.

I changed all four accumulators and "flushed" the fluid. I thought the system took 10 liters of fluid but it only took 4 liters until the fluid was clean. And the fluid was VERY dirty. So I am surprised at how little fluid it took to clean the system. Where did the other 6 liters of fluid in the system go?

Anyways, car rides like a dream now. I forgot how an s class actually drives like, since I drove it for over a year with dirty fluid and shot accumulators. I hope I didn't cause any damage to the struts/pump since the struts would constantly raise to max height and lower to lowest height every minute on a daily basis for over a year.

All corners are properly level, no inexplicable raising/lowering while driving, no horrible tuna boat bouncy ride, and no horrible burnt hydraulic fluid smell throughout the car. I am very happy with the results. However, I am still unable to raise/lower the car from the interior button because I found out that the "plunger sensor" for the right rear strut failed, so I have to replace the whole strut just to get that function working again. Other than that everything seems to be working fine as of now, I cannot bleed the air out of the system with the raise/lower button since it doesn't work, so will air eventually work its way out if I just keep driving it?

One observation I made is that a rodeo test is absolutely unnecessary for any type of abc service. It actually makes it worse by dislodging gunk stuck throughout the system and destroying the components it comes across. Its like doing an engine flush on a sludgy engine, or a transmission flush on a very old transmission for the first time. Just fix whatever needs to be fixed and top off the fluid. If you need to flush the fluid, don't use any tools or rodeo. Just connect the hose to a bucket and fill the reservoir as the old fluid comes out while the car is running. That's it.

Also, do you guys think its a good idea to change the filter and flush the fluid two more times within a couple weeks just to make sure all that crap has gotten out?
​​​​​​​What was the flush procedure?
Old 12-26-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 400E, 1992 SL500, 2001 CLK320
ABC suspension

from my experience as an auto tech for 45 yrs and exclusive MB tech for 34 of those years is that flushing the ABC system is the old school way. Mercedes Benz recommends filtering the fluid by putting in a new filter and then performing the rodeo procedure 3 consecutive times. Reason being is that the fluid circulates throughout the entire system and the new filter captures all the debris within. The maximum filtering occurs when the fluid reaches a certain temperature after about 20 minutes into the rodeo. After the 3rd rodeo, replace the filter again. This has been the most effective way for me and has solved many ABC issues. Hope this helps
Old 12-26-2018, 03:58 AM

1993 400E, 1992 SL500, 2001 CLK320
ABC suspension

if you think you have an air pocket in your ABC suspension, you will know it. The car won't raise up. To get rid of an air pocket just put a shot of compressed air into the reservoir and the car should raise up
Old 11-02-2020, 04:43 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Hello. I'm running across some issues with the ABC suspension and I'm having trouble finding information about the specific problems I'm having.

I need to replace all four accumulators since the ride is very bouncy and trips the red ABC light for a fraction of a second when going over dips/bumps. Seems simple enough. But I'm having two other problems that aren't as simple and have a lack of documentation online.

The car inexplicably rises to max ride height while driving, then re-adjusts itself by lowering to standard ride height every time the car is stationary and the brake pedal is released. Upon releasing the brake pedal while stopped for a few seconds, I can hear a clunk noise coming from the rear end of the vehicle (valve block?) as if the valve blocks are opening/closing to attempt to readjust suspension height whether it is at its max ride height or not. These are very strange symptoms and I haven't heard of anyone else having these problems. The valve blocks seem to be fine because all corners sit level with no sagging for a long time after car is parked. So I'm ruling those out. Can failed accumulators cause the ride height to max out while driving?

If not the accumulators being the cause of this strange issue, I have one other culprit that may be the issue but it seems unlikely. I have a failed ride height sensor for the rear right corner, and it prevents the car from being lowered/raised from the interior switch. However, this has been broken long before the strange raising/lowering issue, so it seems unlikely to me as that being the cause of the problem too. Also, I cannot find the part number to this ride height sensor. Is it shared between the W215 and the W220?

Finally, I would like to know if any of the accumulators have varying part numbers. Does every accumulator use the same part #2203270115? I recall there being larger ones and smaller ones throughout the system, so I'm not sure if they are all the same or not. Also, is the pressure dampener the same accumulator #2203270115? I couldn't find any information on that either. Thank you all for your time, and I'm sorry if any of these issues or concerns seemed noobish to some of you as this is the first time I'm ever dealing with ABC problems 4 years into my purchase. Thanks.
Did you find raising itself problem?
Old 11-02-2020, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Since I do not have an ABC-equipped car (in fact, I have never ridden in one), I am not at all knowledgeable about the system - but, I have seen in tech info that by design, ABC should lower the car by 11mm at highway speed. Not much help, I'm afraid...
Old 11-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 CLS55AMG & 2005 S55AMG
Did you check the pressure relief and change out the pulsation dampener ?
Here is a link to everything you kneed to know about the ABC system:
http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html