S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S600 amg In shop for 6 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 s600 amg
S600 amg In shop for 6 months

So this is quite interesting to me. I brought my 2005 Mercedes s600 amg to get the ole abc system fixed cause of course the hose blew along with the pump not to long after.

I brought the car to a well known exotic car dealer and shop and they gave the diagnosis that t was the pump and hose right after.

i then brought the car to the garage I normally get work done at after getting the diagnostic. I was going to do a project and convert to coil overs but due to the shop having no idea how to do that I scratched it and told them just to go oem. To cut you the reading it’s been 6 months and they’ve finally told me it’s done except that the car won’t raise back up only hold the hydro fluid. The weird part is I’ve know the shop for a while and I don’t think they know but I have the owner on spachat and he posts story’s all day of these cars he brings in, does full engine swaps, rebuilds a whole car in and out. And yet my Mercedes just needing a pump and hose is sitting outside unlocked in the sun and weather.. in Colorado.. (I did a random check on my car 4 months in after the shop was closed, went there and my car was unlocked and covered in dust with no front bumper on.) they told me now that it needs a valve body for the abc system although I previously got a diagnosis and did not need one the car only has 64k miles. I honestly don’t know what to do so I’ve taken to forums for advice. I tried towing it but do to how long and low it is we could’ve even get it on a tow truck with boards under the wheels. The mechanic also slipped and admitted to driving the car with the new pump for the suspension in, but no hose or fluid in the suspension... meaning the brand new pump is now getting air inside once again like wtf 😂 they’ve had minimal communication and told me for a long straight that it’d be done by the end of the week(2-3 months ago). I am now waiting for something I guess he said he’d put the front bumper on so I could get my car and bring it to a different shop now that the pump is holding fluid. That was a week ago. He wants to charge $1400 for the pump and hose but at this point it’s the most insane experience with a shop and I’m thinking about suing for the costs if not more because it’s been outside for half a year, my poor paint. All In all the car doesn’t even raise up but atleast holds fluid and I don’t think I should give this guy a single dollar, I own multiple businesses and from my POV don’t think this guy deserves to run one or understands what consequences are available I’ve been playing dumb the whole time to see if he plays me and I’m pretty sure he’s taking advantage so now I’m gonna come back and hit him with me knowin everything that’s going on and what I can do. Just hoping for some advice from any of you.

thanks
- ironically, Despiseful
Old 10-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
Welcome, but first, fill in your profile properly.
Fixing the ABC is not as complicated as some people state it. Hoses are not the end of the world.
Second: changing the pump requires priming by pressurizing the fluid reservoir for the ABC section of the pump (otherwise it will not work because running dry no matter what), and priming the power steering section of the pump by turning the steering lock-to-lock at least 20 times before running the engine.
All this info can be found by searching this forum and the other forum benzworld.org
Read, read, read!
Old 10-08-2018, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Sounds like they didn't prime it or aren't aware they have to.

Sucks you are so far away, I'd tell you to bring me the car and I'd sort it out for you. I hate that people let ABC become such a huge issue on these cars.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Yup both the abc and steering side needed to be primed

sounds like he didn’t do that and may have damaged your new pump. Get it to a competent mechanic who can prime both sides and see if it works. If it works count yourself lucky . Then go back to first shop explain what he did wrong and ask for reimbursement or sue him

have the second mechanic write a professional diagnostic report you can use in court if needed

you’ll need the documentation and might need his live testimony too.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
Sorry to steal the thread here, but is there anyone in socal that is experienced with ABC work? My system needs some service (accumulators and fluid flush) and I am not willing to do it myself because of lack of tools, time, and knowledge of properly servicing the suspension without frying or damaging any of the other components like the pump. My indie mechanic also hasn't had any experience with abc, so I wouldn't trust him with the system either. I really want to keep this system running guys, I don't want to end up swapping over to coilovers. So if anyone here is experienced in abc work and is willing to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks. I just want it to be serviced by the right hands (which is very hard to find a pair nowadays).
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 W204, 2014 W212, 2015 W222, 07 SAAB 9-3, 2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
Sorry to steal the thread here, but is there anyone in socal that is experienced with ABC work? My system needs some service (accumulators and fluid flush) and I am not willing to do it myself because of lack of tools, time, and knowledge of properly servicing the suspension without frying or damaging any of the other components like the pump. My indie mechanic also hasn't had any experience with abc, so I wouldn't trust him with the system either. I really want to keep this system running guys, I don't want to end up swapping over to coilovers. So if anyone here is experienced in abc work and is willing to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks. I just want it to be serviced by the right hands (which is very hard to find a pair nowadays).
My shop did the same services OP post here for my 2005 S600 w/ABC for only 5 days ! That's also include the valve block and accumulators replacement !! The shop is at Walnut or Covina area. PM me for more detail.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by AlexMercedes
try Pete’s autohaus in Torrance
Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 AM

2007 e350
hijack..

not to hijack the thread, but was looking for some expert advice.

I have a 2003 s55 (kompressor) amg. If i drive the car with the suspension in setting 1 or 2 (lifted) and i go over a bump, not a small hole on the road, but something that lifts the car a bit, the left side of the front suspension has a knocking noise. On a car without ABC, this is usually a failed strut or the top mount bushing. Does anybody have any idea what it might be? I replaced the both ABC blocks on the car and it lifts, and holds fine (i bought the car this year and it only had 22k miles, so it was barely driven), i assume the rubber either on the top mount or bottom might have dried out, but it could be the strut itself.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
You can see the top bushing on the strut under the hood, it's probably collapsed. See Nick's thread on adding a rubber spacer to it, if that fixes your noise, you're good.

Why do you drive around with the car lifted though?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:57 AM

2007 e350
I don't typically run around lifted. Book says to ride on 1 when it snows, so i popped it up, we got snow this weekend. I noticed the noise, and it's worse on 1 and 2, but is still there on 0. I'll check the thread, collapsed bushing at the top makes sense.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Interesting...

My 2003 S430 has only two ride-height positions, normal and lifted. I do, however have three ride-stiffness selections.

My understanding is that one of the reasons for the provision of the lifted position is to allow for clearance for snow chains. I would have serious reservations about driving in snow deep enough to require raising the car to avoid making it a snow plow.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by wallyp
Interesting...

My 2003 S430 has only two ride-height positions, normal and lifted. I do, however have three ride-stiffness selections.

My understanding is that one of the reasons for the provision of the lifted position is to allow for clearance for snow chains. I would have serious reservations about driving in snow deep enough to require raising the car to avoid making it a snow plow.
Airmatic only has one raised height, ABC has two.