S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New tie rods, control arms, steering rack, ABS error?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
New tie rods, control arms, steering rack, ABS error?

I have a 2002 Cl class but the W215 forums are kinda dead these days..

anyways I did new control lower arms on the front, new steering rack, new tie rod ends, new power steering pump etc

car seems to drive fine for not having an alignment... I did my best, using string, to align the front Toe angle to match the forward direction of the rear wheels
Problem
now I have no power steering, and constant ESP/ABS lights and BAS error. I get p0500 on my generic OBD reader

p0500 says it’s a wheel speed sensor...

My solution attempt
so i have disconnected all four sensors, cleaned them and did a visual check on thetone ring for each wheel. I tried turning steering from left to right to reset steering angle sensor...no luck . I tried reading ohms and bolts from each sensor (while spinning the corresponding wheel to create voltage) and I can’t get any readings on any of my sensors for some reason
Now what???
I’ve been told I need a better scan tool to read live data from the wheel sensors to track down the bad ones.,. Lately I’ve been looking at some of the cheap icarsoft ones and stuff, I don’t really have the funds to get a whole c4 SDS clone right now with the countless other things I’ve been repairing/restoring on this car

BUT I did read that with new steering components, mercedes SDS needs to reset the “steering center”

is this true? What should I do next? I’m pretty stumped ,
if I get an alignment , I feel I’m wasting money because this may not cure the problem and I need a very extensive alignment job done(or multiple alignment jobs) with either aftermarket bushings, or special camber bolts because my car is lowered on 20’s

side note
i also have a sort of loud knock sound from the front left steering, even with correct torque settings. I disconnected the control arms to install my new suspension and the knock noise is still there. Most notably while turning into the driveway or very very heavy braking

TLDR-
​​​​​​—car drives fine after lots of work
—-all components pass visual inspection
—lots of abs/esp/steering wheel sensor codes that won’t go away
—-haven’t done alignment yet, still deciding on whether to invest in a mercedes scanner tool

Last edited by ctravis595; 12-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.