MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W220) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/)
-   -   S600 jumps out of gear on load! (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/750302-s600-jumps-out-gear-load.html)

Zabe 07-12-2019 09:37 PM

S600 jumps out of gear on load!

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can shed some light for me. The other day I floored it on my s600 2004 and the car jumped out of gear and just reved.

I had lost drive so managed to pull over safely and turned the car off then on and all was ok. Since then the car has been shifting very rough.

Now kickdowns on 3rd gear is very aggressive, it feels like the car is getting kicked in the back very hard.

Pluged in my SDS and I got advised internal fault in component Y3/6 (electrical control module)
What is this?

I also got error codes P2500 (transmission has an implausible transmission ratio

P200E
P200C

All help will be greatly appreciated.

wallyp 07-13-2019 09:08 AM

One possible cause is the common problem where a leaking transmission electrical connector allows ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) to wick up the attached wire harness and into the TCM (Transmission Control Module). The ATF can cause random problems with the TCM. Cleaning the TCM is an easy DIY job. Might or might not fix your problem, but it's easy, cheap, and often helps...

Purchase a spray can of good quality "Brake and Parts Cleaner". Open the right under-hood SAM (Signal Acquisition Module), the lidded black plastic fuse/relay/control box that is located at the back of the engine compartment under the right corner of the windshield. Carefully examine each of the wire harnesses at the top of the box for any traces of oil on the wires. Gently tug the oily harness up and out of the box, bringing the attached TCM with it. Unplug the TCM, and open it, being careful to avoid breaking the plastic latches. Use the parts cleaner to remove all traces of ATF, and let the box dry completely. Reassemble and reinstall. Drive the car a few times to see if this fixed the problem.

Changing the leaking connector is fairly easy, but does require getting under the car. The part is available on-line or at your Mercedes or Dodge dealer, and is usually less than $20. Replacing the connector usually causes only a very, very small loss of ATF during the process. If you don't change the connector, you might have to clean the TCM every five or ten years.

Zabe 07-14-2019 02:21 PM

Thank you wallyp

I've actually ordered a full gearbox service kit from Mercedes Also with a conductor plate.

Will have it fitted on Saturday then use my SDS to do a reset on the gearbox and fingers crossed.

The issue I'm having occures only when the car has been driven for a while and is warm/hot.

pmercury 07-16-2019 02:02 PM

You'll need to do a "adaptive" function reset possible with Xentry Das only

Zabe 07-16-2019 05:33 PM

Already done

Originally Posted by pmercury (Post 7804530)
You'll need to do a "adaptive" function reset possible with Xentry Das only

Thanks for your reply but I already did this with my SDS but to no avail.
I do hope the conductor plate change with a full gearbox service will rectify it.

I just really hope it's not the main gearbox pump at the front.

pmercury 07-16-2019 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zabe (Post 7804711)
Thanks for your reply but I already did this with my SDS but to no avail.
I do hope the conductor plate change with a full gearbox service will rectify it.

I just really hope it's not the main gearbox pump at the front.

what "sds" you have ?

Zabe 07-16-2019 07:40 PM

Oem diagnostics equipment

Originally Posted by pmercury (Post 7804769)
what "sds" you have ?

It's the Star diagnostics system Mercedes use

Welwynnick 07-20-2019 06:26 AM

Hi Zabe

Sorry if you already told me this, but do you have the transmission dipstick tool?

First things first.

Nick

Zabe 07-20-2019 01:38 PM

I do

Hi Nick,

It's ok no worries. I do have the dipstick and my oil was high. I have now done a full gearbox service again but also with the conductor plate.

Need to test it out now. Seems to better at the moment but I will take it out tonight and I will know for sure when it kicks down on load

Regards
Zabe

Agent-A01 07-20-2019 11:07 PM

I had the same problem as mine on the 55 and a trans service fixed it.

Zabe 07-21-2019 05:00 AM

Sorted

Hi guys, thank you very much for all your help. It is now sorted and it was the conductor plate as the car is shifting nice smooth again.
But now I have another problem lol :wall:

Agent-A01 07-21-2019 09:45 AM

What’s the problem?

Zabe 07-21-2019 10:02 AM

Misfire on load

Originally Posted by Agent-A01 (Post 7808388)
What’s the problem?

Its now misfiring on load, at idle or gentle driving it's perfect but when I floor it and revs get to over 4500k it starts to misfire on cylinder 4 and 5.

When I turn the car off then back on, all seems ok again until I floor it and the revs go over 4500k!

Plugged in my star diagnostics and it's coming out with codes:

Misfiring, damages TWC P0300
Misfiring of cylinder 5, damages TWC P0305
Misfiring of cylinder 4, damages TWC P0304
N92/1 ECI ignition module, right bank of cylinders P0300

I took it out for a few more runs but now seems to only misfire on cylinder 4 on load!

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Agent-A01 07-21-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zabe (Post 7808397)
Its now misfiring on load, at idle or gentle driving it's perfect but when I floor it and revs get to over 4500k it starts to misfire on cylinder 4 and 5.

When I turn the car off then back on, all seems ok again until I floor it and the revs go over 4500k!

I took it out for a few more runs but now seems to only misfire on cylinder 4 on load!

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sounds like a coil pack. Have you replaced them?

if not, you can rent a coil pack and see if it solves your issue. If it does then you can buy it.

Coil pack/spark plugs are your most common culprit. It could also be faulty injectors but that’s not too common

Also, there is a voltage transformer that steps 12v up to 120v for the coil packs. The car will misfire if that is failing

Zabe 07-21-2019 12:50 PM

Misfire on load

Originally Posted by Agent-A01 (Post 7808407)
Sounds like a coil pack. Have you replaced them?

if not, you can rent a coil pack and see if it solves your issue. If it does then you can buy it.

Coil pack/spark plugs are your most common culprit. It could also be faulty injectors but that’s not too common

Also, there is a voltage transformer that steps 12v up to 120v for the coil packs. The car will misfire if that is failing

The part numbers are different on my coil packs
Right pack is A275 150 04 08 Q1
Left pack is A275 150 07 80 Q6

Spark plugs were changed with NGK IFR6Q-G about a month ago and last year the the voltage transformer was also changed with the updated better version.

Thanks

kraut56 07-21-2019 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zabe (Post 7808397)

Any ideas?

Many thanks

The TWC codes are for the catalytic converter. If the O2 sensors dont give good values, the correspunding cylinders are shut down to protect the corresponding cat)s).
You need an SDS "live" read.
Good luck!

pmercury 07-22-2019 01:54 AM

misfire on V12 is one of the most discussed questions ever
search in S600 CL600 SL600 S65 CL65 SL65 and V12platform first