S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Can you say "i Drive"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you say "i Drive"

I just think it is ironic that after all the criticism about the BMW design direction, Mercedes has obviously gone the exact same direction. It is unbeleivable how similar the inside looks. Big dedicated screen; "i drive" like ***, gear shifting at the steering wheel...... etc.............

Trunk lid....same applies.....
Old 06-21-2005, 08:29 PM

"i-Drive". There. I said it!

And what's with this "handling"? I mean, we've always criticized BMW for being so keen on it, and now Benz is heading in the exact same direction! Awful, really.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Originally Posted by Turtle25
"i-Drive". There. I said it!

And what's with this "handling"? I mean, we've always criticized BMW for being so keen on it, and now Benz is heading in the exact same direction! Awful, really.
Audi now has it too as well as the Acura RL. And even with the controls somewhat improving, the automotive press still pretty much dislikes it.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:51 PM

2000 Lexus LS400
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi now has it too as well as the Acura RL. And even with the controls somewhat improving, the automotive press still pretty much dislikes it.
I hate it too, what do you have to do to turn on the A/C lol. You might have to fool with it for a few seconds. If I had an I-Drive in my car it would be me doing this
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
You guys are all clueless.

Near the I drive there are 2 buttons.

One that says (radio/cd) and one that says (nav/ something else)

So really, you don't have to use I drive like you do on the BMW, you just click the button and it comes up without toggling. Also, everything on I drive can be used through the steering wheel, so really, you don't have to use the I drive.

For the A/C. You don't even use I drive.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The Climate control system has its own entire set of metallic composite switches on the dash. Look at the pictures again for the love of god.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:26 AM

05 CLK 320
when you press any of the a/c control I am assuming the command display all the a/c stuff on the screen, but there is a small read out on the bottom of the screen for the current temperature and other things.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by cracker123
when you press any of the a/c control I am assuming the command display all the a/c stuff on the screen, but there is a small read out on the bottom of the screen for the current temperature and other things.
This is exactally what the A8 does when you turn the dedicated knob adjust the temperature. The LCD display next to the knob shows the temperature you're trying to set, as well as displaying it on the screen and offering you more options for which you'd have to select one of the four quadrant buttons on the MMI controller. After a few seconds it goes away.

I assume the MB unit will be very similar, except for not having the auxillary LCD screen, and substituting an intuitive knob for a set of cheap chromed plastic buttons.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 AM

2005 SL65
say it...

for the time being, i cannot say "I-Drive."

i can, however, say "U-Drive," and without any hesitation.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Mercedes all the way!
guys, look at this article:
http://www.benzworld.org/news/news.asp?id=292

look at the heading Operating concept: colour displays, direct-selection switches and COMAND controller

The system is therefore specifically designed for redundancy: depending on his preferred habits, the driver is able to control functions such as the radio, TV-receiver, CD/DVD changer, telephone and navigation system either using conventional switches, via buttons on the multifunction steering wheel or with the help of the improved COMAND system. The direct-selection switches in the centre console are so ergonomically positioned that the driver is able to operate them conveniently and without looking down. It is also possible to operate the standard automatic climate control system in two different ways: via COMAND or using an attractively styled array of switches beneath the air vents.
so naadp, you're indeed right about merc being similar to audi in this respect -- except they're substituting nice, weighty buttons instead of a fiddly knob which requires you to look down at a tiny screen to see what you're doing!

after all, the mouse is far from the computer screen yet no one here i'm sure has any trouble controlling it. imagine if you had to look down at the mouse for feedback!
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM

I still like the audi concept with a seperate climate control unit (below) which activates on the main display when you adjust it, but at least there are auxillary controls.

Maybe I just like an excessive number of LCD screens in my cars.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM

05 CLK 320
where did you get an Hertz Audi A6 ?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:46 PM

Scottsdale, Arizona. I've seen them at most airport locations, though. That one happens to be a monthly rental I use for work.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 PM

E500
Hi,

The new S-Class uses a similar i-Drive system to control, but believe me, it is lot more simpler than i-drive from BMW.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Almost a Member!

I've used the system, it puts BMW's I drive to shame.

Not only is it easy to use, but the graphics and information displayed are awesome. For example, just in front of the controller is a switch for multi-contour seat control. When selected, you get a nice picture of the seat, and by turning the controller, you can select which part of the seat you would like to inflate, as compared to those incredibly confusing buttons that were located on the seat in the V220/W220. Wait until you see the radio selector, the screen has a retro look like an old 1970's face and an orange vertical indicator that smoothly moves left or right - the best part is that there is no little string to get jammed when moving the dial to select a radio station.

Also, there is dedicated A/C controls just under the screen, or you can use the controller.

Last edited by MB Tech - USA; 07-01-2005 at 03:46 PM.