S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quality of Materials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
I sat it in it yesterday, and paid special attention to the quality of materials used. Saying that it has better quality than the W220 is easy, since that material quality was lacking. As Brav had mentioned, I am underwhelmed.

I'm not sure what the metal-like material is, but it didn't seem to be that great to my touch. In fact, I was at the dealer to drop off my E and I got an new ML loaner. That interior has several pieces that are metal-looking, but feel cheap. The S's did not feel much different. I have the Appearance package on my E, and it has the metal-like trim. While I'm sure it is not metal, it does have a more metal like appearance and feel. If it used that material, it would, IMO, look and feel much better. Although, it would be very cold to the touch when the mercury drops.

And even in the door sills, which you could expect some metal on the bottom portion, but still, it is not metal. And of course, it is still a cheap plastic grille on the front as well.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by alewifebp
Saying that it has better quality than the W220 is easy, since that material quality was lacking.
Is your comment on W220 quality based on the 2006 model or one of the initial models?

I have never owned a S Sedan before I got my 2006 S430 so I have nothing to compare it against. However, I don't have any significant problems with the interior quality of materials (or fit and finish) in my 2006. I would prefer leather on the dash and perhaps some other enhancements, but to say the "material quality is lacking" doesn't jibe with my present experience.

I will eventually get a chance to compare the them and then can comment on what MB has done with the new one.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Is your comment on W220 quality based on the 2006 model or one of the initial models?

I have never owned a S Sedan before I got my 2006 S430 so I have nothing to compare it against. However, I don't have any significant problems with the interior quality of materials (or fit and finish) in my 2006. I would prefer leather on the dash and perhaps some other enhancements, but to say the "material quality is lacking" doesn't jibe with my present experience.

I will eventually get a chance to compare the them and then can comment on what MB has done with the new one.
Jack -

I had a 2000 S430 (delivered March 1999) and it was a total "basket case". Looking back, I don't know why I didn't institute a "lemon law recall', becasue literally anything and everything "broke" once or multiple times. Regarding the interior, the plastic trim on the bottom of the seat cracked monthly, the glove box wouldn't close and the console top wouldn't stay open. I am sure there was much more, but my mind won't let me remember all that was wrong with that car. ( Airmatic failure, sway bar break, multiple Comand replacements etc etc.)

The good news is that my next generation 2004 S500 has been nearly perfect. I tell all who will listen that everything that was wrong or malfunctioned in the 2000 was fixed in the 2004. I am sure your 2006 is nothing like the horror of my 2000.

I am due for a new one sometime toward the end of 2006 and I just hope they have most of the first year "issues" addressed by that time.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Jack -

I had a 2000 S430 (delivered March 1999) and it was a total "basket case". Looking back, I don't know why I didn't institute a "lemon law recall', becasue literally anything and everything "broke" once or multiple times. Regarding the interior, the plastic trim on the bottom of the seat cracked monthly, the glove box wouldn't close and the console top wouldn't stay open. I am sure there was much more, but my mind won't let me remember all that was wrong with that car. ( Airmatic failure, sway bar break, multiple Comand replacements etc etc.)

The good news is that my next generation 2004 S500 has been nearly perfect. I tell all who will listen that everything that was wrong or malfunctioned in the 2000 was fixed in the 2004. I am sure your 2006 is nothing like the horror of my 2000.

I am due for a new one sometime toward the end of 2006 and I just hope they have most of the first year "issues" addressed by that time.
Thanks for the input. I was totally unaware of the problems with the 220 until "after" I bought mine and started reading the 220 threads. My car has been perfect except for a "7G Thunk" and that was promptly fixed. I will be looking at the 221 sometime in the future...I won't have the opportunity to buy many more cars and I want to get as many under my belt while a can...:-)
Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Nevada Jack, yes, I was referring to the initial models. You can find many threads here, and first hand experiences on the quality, or lack therof, of the initial models. From what I have seen recently, they have improved it much.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
I agree with Nevada Jack. Our 2006 S350's interior materials are not too shabby...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by AMG-1
Spent some time in the new S550 2 days ago......
Buttons that are real metal or not ...who cares...The point is the car interior is very disappointing. They are supposed to be the best quality cars out there...and this is just not cuting it. The design is as mediocre as the pictures I had seen seemed to show.....The clock in the center is horrible...cheap looking and just doesn't fit the theme.......The "I drive" button feels way cheaper than the BMW 7. I think that the overall quality of materials in the BMW 7 IS noticeably better...even though I am not in love with that car's interior also...

The exterior is very nice I thought....but why do I have to work SO hard at just tolerating the interior !!!!!!!

By the way...this car was fully configured, not a base model......

oh? where was this fully configured car?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Kar don
oh? where was this fully configured car?
Not meaning to answer this question directed at someone else, but reasonably well configured S550's seem to be quite visible at most major dealerships. My understanding is that Option packages P1 & P2 are available, along with many of the basics such as parktronic, keyless-go etc. Option package P3 is currently unavailable along with the pano roof. Obviously this could be changing as I type this.

Doesn't "Big Herb" have loaded S550 out front yet ?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:11 PM

How i rate Luxo cars atm.

RR
Jaguar
Bentley
Range Rover
Audi
BMW
Mercedes
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by naadp
I was somewhat underwhelmed as well. The leather seemed cheap and hard, the door caps and dash should be stitched leather on a 100k+ car, and the switch gear was kind of cheesy. That being said, I also think these cars were kind of stripped as well being "pre-production" demos. I would really like to see one with the Designo package. I think that'll make all the difference.

Personally, the interior in the S550 wasn't even close to the A8L W12, even if the price was.
Man, I don't know why Mercedes thinks that with its already INSANE pricing, customers should have to shell out an addition $7-15k just to get a decent interior via the "designo" package. That's a load of crap if you ask me. Even the name "designo" is enough to signal the pretentiousness of the ***-wads in MB marketing who decided to foist this whole mess on an all-too-willing public.

*none of which is to say that I don't think the 2002/3 (?) "designo silver edition" SLK isn't one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cars around -- it is. oh yes, it certainly is...
Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by ewde1
I will add that EXCLUSIVE PASSION might only be available for S600 owners later on in '06
exclusive passion? what's that, it comes with a ***** and fresh batteries in the glove compartment? :p

what a stupid name!

wow, looks like MB's marketing maroons have earned a healthy dose of vitriol with this new S Class campaign. it just gets better and better, eh?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by vixapphire
exclusive passion?....
Smells like chick***** -- accent on the *****.
...or else it just doesn't translate well from the german?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vixapphire
Man, I don't know why Mercedes thinks that with its already INSANE pricing, customers should have to shell out an addition $7-15k just to get a decent interior via the "designo" package. That's a load of crap if you ask me. Even the name "designo" is enough to signal the pretentiousness of the ***-wads in MB marketing who decided to foist this whole mess on an all-too-willing public.

*none of which is to say that I don't think the 2002/3 (?) "designo silver edition" SLK isn't one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cars around -- it is. oh yes, it certainly is...
heh...yea..typical mbenz marketing ploy
unfortunately the designos dont even hold there residuals..thats why a limited combo/color codes are available to the US market as compared to spain/ france/ europe. The dealer estimates 10-12,000$ for designo..on top of the 85400=795dest..add p3 package(6000 in most magazines) and your at 6digits...
Old 01-18-2006, 05:48 PM

03' Merc G-500, 04' Merc S-600 AMG, 95' Merc E-320 Cab, 05' Jaguar Super V8, 00' Jaguar XK8
Well...What a mixed bag of opinions on here!

When I sat in a silver on grey S-550 3 weeks ago, I was very impressed with the material quality. The HVAC controls felt and looked like metal. The plastic felt and looked expensive. Even the base leather on the seats felt great. Every panel and part fit together seamlessly, and looked great doing it.

Maybe I good example, or maybe you guys got bad ones, but the interior quality surly impressed me.

S-65...Here I come!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Paganis Zonda
Well...What a mixed bag of opinions on here!

When I sat in a silver on grey S-550 3 weeks ago, I was very impressed with the material quality. The HVAC controls felt and looked like metal. The plastic felt and looked expensive. Even the base leather on the seats felt great. Every panel and part fit together seamlessly, and looked great doing it.

Maybe I good example, or maybe you guys got bad ones, but the interior quality surly impressed me.

S-65...Here I come!
Nope, I have been in several S550s and they are all exactly how you described it!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:27 PM
JAM

SL600
Originally Posted by esntrk1
Let me say that of all people, I wanted this car to be a cut above...... are 100% plastic and the most noticable ones are the seat controls on the door. They wiggle around like they are going to fall off.
Do you feel that that the W221 is a step-down in materials quality from the W220? As a W220 owner, I would be curious to know our thoughts. Especially, since, IMO, the W220 had lesser quality parts than what was used in the W140.

One thing I really like about the W221 is that it has some presence, like my old W140.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
we own a W220 S600 and when I went to see the new S550 I was amazed at how much the interior quality was improved. The buttons are a nice metallic finish and are made from a composite metal compund. The leather was nice and soft as was the grain. Everything was really great. Body gaps were minimal and the doors closed with a definitive thunk that just emodied security, serenity, and safety.

I think the W221 is going to be a hot seller.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 PM

03' Merc G-500, 04' Merc S-600 AMG, 95' Merc E-320 Cab, 05' Jaguar Super V8, 00' Jaguar XK8
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
we own a W220 S600 and when I went to see the new S550 I was amazed at how much the interior quality was improved. The buttons are a nice metallic finish and are made from a composite metal compund. The leather was nice and soft as was the grain. Everything was really great. Body gaps were minimal and the doors closed with a definitive thunk that just emodied security, serenity, and safety.

I think the W221 is going to be a hot seller.
Which year? My parents have an 04' 600. What a car it is!

And, it looks like we are in the same boat. The 221 is a truly wonderful car!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Same. 2004
Old 01-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Same. 2004

Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 AM

Mercedes all the way!
the door caps and dash should be stitched leather on a 100k+ car
actually, while looking at the S reviewed by What Car (specced for £73k - but remember cars are much more expensive there), it was obvious that the doors and dash were leather. however, i don't know personally how much extra (if any) this cost them.

given that car prices are much lower in the USA, i think by the time you spec up to $100k, you definitely pick up leather along the way. given that the starting price is around $80k for the base S550.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by athlon70
How i rate Luxo cars atm.

RR
Jaguar
Bentley
Range Rover
Audi
BMW
Mercedes

Sorry but you just lost any credibility you had with this list.

Saying Jag has a good interior is laughable. Also saying bentley has a better interior than AUDI makes no sense, since its the same interior.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ruykava
actually, while looking at the S reviewed by What Car (specced for £73k - but remember cars are much more expensive there), it was obvious that the doors and dash were leather. however, i don't know personally how much extra (if any) this cost them.

given that car prices are much lower in the USA, i think by the time you spec up to $100k, you definitely pick up leather along the way. given that the starting price is around $80k for the base S550.
I think the base S550 here is priced at $86,575 including destination but I agree with your premise...$100K should bring you some very nice leather...:-)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:30 AM

1963 220Sb
Bentley definetly has a better interior than Audi! It uses a lot higher quality materials and their interiors are hand made. It's not the same interior at all. Maybe some controls might be the same design but in a Bentley much richer and high quality materials are used.

Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
Sorry but you just lost any credibility you had with this list.

Saying Jag has a good interior is laughable. Also saying bentley has a better interior than AUDI makes no sense, since its the same interior.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
Bentley definetly has a better interior than Audi! It uses a lot higher quality materials and their interiors are hand made. It's not the same interior at all. Maybe some controls might be the same design but in a Bentley much richer and high quality materials are used.
The A8 and the Phaeton both share some interior components with their Bentley brothers, (for instance the multifunction screen on the dash is almost the same exact part as my Touareg) but I am still utterly amazed by some of the things Bentley has done. For instance, the little scroll wheel on the steering wheel is real metal. In fact, every control knob is jewelled aluminum. They are definately NOT painted metal. The seat controls have a metal ring around the buttons. The air vents are a actual metal grate with a metal stopper/pull control. The only thing that seems cheap are their big plastic paddle shifters. I'm also not a big fan of the leather headliner -- I'd prefer the alcantara one they put in the A8L W12.