S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

What Options and Why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Options and Why?

Hello: I am newly registered to this forum but I have been reading the posts for a long time. I have an SL500 and am seriously thinking of also purchasing the S550. I was curious what options all of you are ordering and why you choose them. I know I want the AMG Sport package. Some of the others I "think" I want but would appreciate your thinking and experience. Thanks, Mike
Old 10-06-2006, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
My list of options would be as follows:

AMG Package
Package 2 (PII)
ABC
Active Ventilated Seats and Multicontour
Pano Roof
and Electronic Trunk Closer

I just love gadgets but also like to travel and ride in utter relaxation and comfort as should all the passengers.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by azmike
Hello: I am newly registered to this forum but I have been reading the posts for a long time. I have an SL500 and am seriously thinking of also purchasing the S550. I was curious what options all of you are ordering and why you choose them. I know I want the AMG Sport package. Some of the others I "think" I want but would appreciate your thinking and experience. Thanks, Mike
See my signature. I would also add Distronic Plus to the package.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I'd sure wait and see what the S63 pricing is like. It will have the AMG sport look, of course, and ABC, of course. It will almost certainly have all the seat tricks. The handling improvement will be appreciated if you're coming from an SL and of course the AMG engine will be a blast. With the S55 MSRP having been something like $114k, it will be very interesting to see where the S63 is priced.

Personally, I'd trade the pano roof, Distronic Plus, trunk closer, Keyless Go, Parktronic, rear-view camera, night vision, etc., etc. for the performance in a flash. You can always add those that are important to you, but my must-have is AMG.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:24 PM

05 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack

very nice picture jack
Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 PM

2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Yes, I agree, Distronic Plus is a must.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Jack: I have looked at your pictures and options for awhile now and the car looks better everytime I see it! I was curious about your experience with ABC. Is it worth having in your opinion. I was leaning towards gettting the Distronic plus. Did you do anything with the phone options.

I also love "gadgets" so I am tempted by the night vision. Any the pano roof looks great too. I priced about all the options on the MBUSA site and it was about $112k. The local dealer says only 7% markup and they want sticker. I don't think so.

I plan on keeping my SL500 but I may like the new S550 so much it might get a lot less drive time.

As to colors, I like your combo or the same interior with Obsidian. Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Hi,
I think for me, ABC is not the most sensible option, of course, if you don't mind the money, it's a must-have. ABC reduces roll more effectively and possibly makes the ride more comfortable but I find ARIMATIC perfectly comfortable and body roll is not a particular concern for me (i'm not an aggressive driver). Also, I think the Maybachs are equipped with AIRMATIC, not ABC for some reason (not saying that ABC is no good). I think multicountour ventilated seats are a must, but again, drive-dynamic seats are over-kill for me. Pano-sunroof looks good, but the rear one doesn't open and I don't even use the fromt one that often! Distronic plus would be a sensible choice since it could help in a lot of situations. I would also add nightvision, and wood steeing wheel for that luxurious look. Keyless go would be that must have gadget if you don't mind the extra money. Don't get the point of the electric trunk closers, since the trunk has close-assist and you don't have to put much effort into closing it anyways, but some people can't live with out them. Personally, I haven't even seen the inside my trunk for almost a month.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by whoover
I'd sure wait and see what the S63 pricing is like. It will have the AMG sport look, of course, and ABC, of course. It will almost certainly have all the seat tricks. The handling improvement will be appreciated if you're coming from an SL and of course the AMG engine will be a blast. With the S55 MSRP having been something like $114k, it will be very interesting to see where the S63 is priced.

Personally, I'd trade the pano roof, Distronic Plus, trunk closer, Keyless Go, Parktronic, rear-view camera, night vision, etc., etc. for the performance in a flash. You can always add those that are important to you, but my must-have is AMG.
WOW i have the same philosophy, except the exact opposite feeling about performance. I'd get the 3.5L engine if it were available and have all the options!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by kevine310
Hi,
I think for me, ABC is not the most sensible option, of course, if you don't mind the money, it's a must-have. ABC reduces roll more effectively and possibly makes the ride more comfortable but I find ARIMATIC perfectly comfortable and body roll is not a particular concern for me (i'm not an aggressive driver). Also, I think the Maybachs are equipped with AIRMATIC, not ABC for some reason (not saying that ABC is no good). I think multicountour ventilated seats are a must, but again, drive-dynamic seats are over-kill for me. Pano-sunroof looks good, but the rear one doesn't open and I don't even use the fromt one that often! Distronic plus would be a sensible choice since it could help in a lot of situations. I would also add nightvision, and wood steeing wheel for that luxurious look. Keyless go would be that must have gadget if you don't mind the extra money. Don't get the point of the electric trunk closers, since the trunk has close-assist and you don't have to put much effort into closing it anyways, but some people can't live with out them. Personally, I haven't even seen the inside my trunk for almost a month.
That is some pretty practical advice. Thank you. I am not a very agressive driver either so comfort and styling is much more important to me than a larger, faster engine. Night vision is one that sounds really cool to me but I am just not sure how often I might use it. I like the AMG sport styling and wheels so that is definitely in. I wouldn't choose not to get something because of the money but rather because I wouldn't really use it.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by kevine310
Hi,
That is some pretty practical advice. Thank you. I am not a very agressive driver either so comfort and styling is much more important to me than a larger, faster engine. Night vision is one that sounds really cool to me but I am just not sure how often I might use it. I like the AMG sport styling and wheels so that is definitely in. I wouldn't choose not to get something because of the money but rather because I wouldn't really use it.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Driving style makes quite a difference, for sure. I do drive pretty fast and the high-speed stability and handling characteristic are paramount for me. But that's not necessarily the case for most S-class drivers.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If your interest is comfort and styling then by all means get ABC and the Multi Contour Seats, the KG, Distronic Plus and of all things the Trunk Closer. I use the trunk closer all the time and when your hands are full, just touch the button (it's worth the $550.) The ABC will provide the smoothest ride and also eliminates dive, squat and roll and with the Contour seats is like driving in your favorite chair. As I indicated above, take my options and add Distronic Plus and you have great comfort and styling. For a little more style add the Wood Wheel...:-)

It doesn't get any better than this car so equipped.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Almost a Member!

If your interest is comfort and styling then by all means get ABC and the Multi Contour Seats, the KG, Distronic Plus and of all things the Trunk Closer. I use the trunk closer all the time and when your hands are full, just touch the button (it's worth the $550.) The ABC will provide the smoothest ride and also eliminates dive, squat and roll and with the Contour seats is like driving in your favorite chair. As I indicated above, take my options and add Distronic Plus and you have great comfort and styling. For a little more style add the Wood Wheel...:-)

It doesn't get any better than this car so equipped.
Jack: Pardon my rookie ignorance but what is "KG"? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Did anyone get either of the dealer installed cell phone connections and/or the ipod adapter?

Jack: Is the Premium leather the same shade of Cashmere as the regular leather. Yours looks a lot nicer and lighter than what I saw in the showroom.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jack: Pardon my rookie ignorance but what is "KG"? Thanks.
Keyless Go Mike...part of P2.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did anyone get either of the dealer installed cell phone connections and/or the ipod adapter?

Jack: Is the Premium leather the same shade of Cashmere as the regular leather. Yours looks a lot nicer and lighter than what I saw in the showroom.
I have not seen the standard Cashmere leather but the Premium is much nicer than I had in my '06 S430. Again, for comfort and style it is worth the extra cash.

On the phone it come completely wired with the connection for either a specific module adapter for your phone or a Blue Tooth module for using a BT compatible phone. I have the module for the a phone, not BT since you are limited with some features if you use the BT module (not charging of the phone and no external antenna use.) Contact AWS at http://www.wireless4mb.com/ They are the authorized supplier of modules and phones but in many cases all you need is the module and you can buy a compatible phone at a local cell store.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Keyless Go Mike...part of P2.
Of course, duh
Old 10-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

A couple more questions:

1. With the AMG sport package do the wheesl come chromed or is there an extra cost to chrome them? If so, how much is the refinishing?

2. I read on some of the other MB sites that there were some problems with the ABC option (didn't see it specifically for the new S550's though). Anyone have any info as to this "problem"?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A couple more questions:

1. With the AMG sport package do the wheesl come chromed or is there an extra cost to chrome them? If so, how much is the refinishing?

2. I read on some of the other MB sites that there were some problems with the ABC option (didn't see it specifically for the new S550's though). Anyone have any info as to this "problem"?

Thanks.
The wheels are polished alloy, not chromed. There is a bulletin out somewhere indicating that chroming the alloy wheels causes problems down the line, can't remember the exact problem.

There is no problem of any kind that I am aware of regarding the ABC, either mechanically or with optioning on the S550.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
chrome doesnt wear as well. Also the tire can break contact with the bead/wheel more easily.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:57 PM

2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
I think I'm more with Jack... yes the trunk closer is a must for convenience. I use it all the time. I don't think it compares at all to the comfort close feature of the standard trunk.
As I said before, Distronic Plus is a really nice feature to have. Especially if you drive in traffic.
Also, someone mentioned that the drive dynamic seats are not that important. We leave ours on, both driver and passenger, all the time and think it's one of the best things about the car.
Night vision is cool, but pretty useless in my opinion. We never use it.
As for the ABC, I specifically remember reading about the W220 that the ABC is a little bit stiffer than the regular airmatic. I'm not sure if that's changed on the current model, but if you want a cushy ride, I think the airmatic is probably softer. But, I'm not saying the ABC is stiff by any means. It's amazing how nice a ride it has and virtually counters all body roll.
About the ABC problems, I'm not sure how old the info is you were reading, but they had big problems with the first gen ABC back in the 2000-2001 models. I think the CL was the first car to get it but I think they have since corrected any bugs they had and I haven't really heard about any majors issues since then.

Last edited by ///MB; 10-07-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ///MB
As for the ABC, I specifically remember reading about the W220 that the ABC is a little bit stiffer than the regular airmatic. I'm not sure if that's changed on the current model, but if you want a cushy ride, I think the airmatic is probably softer. But, I'm not saying the ABC is stiff by any means. It's amazing how nice a ride it has and virtually counters all body roll.
About the ABC problems, I'm not sure how old the info is you were reading, but they had big problems with the first gen ABC back in the 2000-2001 models. I think the CL was the first car to get it but I think they have since corrected any bugs they had and I haven't really heard about any majors issues since then.
In comfort mode I don't find the ABC stiff...it is difficult to judge but I think my '06 S430 without ABC rode stiffer than the S550. It does ride firmer in Sport mode but that is to be expected. It is a new generation ABC and I am sure they have tweaked it since the initial introduction and you are correct, the ride is amazing.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for all the great responses.

What about window tinting? I just moved to south orange county, ca from AZ and in AZ (probably the same in NV, Jack?) you could tint your windows pretty dark because of the sun being pretty persistent all the time. I understand CA is very limiting as to what you can do with window tinting. What advice do you have? Is the tinting that is standard sufficient or can you tint it a bit more? I wouldn't want to tint my windows as dark as I had them in AZ, no real need to go that dark. But, I guess is it the situation where the little extra tint you can get in CA is not really worth it?

I also just found out that I have to have a front license plate...too bad I have to mess up the front with a plate.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Almost a Member!

The wheels are polished alloy, not chromed. There is a bulletin out somewhere indicating that chroming the alloy wheels causes problems down the line, can't remember the exact problem.

There is no problem of any kind that I am aware of regarding the ABC, either mechanically or with optioning on the S550.
Jack--Your wheels look so nice and shiny I thought they were chromes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Options and Why?