S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

SUV Dented My Door Grrrrrr

Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55
Originally Posted by sblime2js
A few people who had already posted on this topic blamed women for this I only assumed you were part of that crowd.

And my family had given so much money to Bush you think we were family. And it continues with Guiliani. And OJ was way guilty. But look who assumes now.

I don't hit someones car or at least try not to. I do not park next to expensive cars and think "yes i'll get this one and he/she will never know." I have great respect for other people's cars but sometimes a dig happens. And like I said before I have them all over my 3 and a half year old car. But I can't get all pissy every time someone hits my car.

And when I drive daddy's s550 I make sure to take up four parking spots as per his rule. I get a ticket for that, I pass it along to him. But then again I wouldn't take a $90,000 car to the mall but hey that's just me.

But I'll make sure not to park next to an S550 next time, wouldn't want the driver to assume a driver of a silly american SUV bumped his/her car on purpose or anything.
I know I'm , so I'll just end with this .. it was your comment "I would be like if you can afford to pay for that car you can afford to get the dent/scratch off of it." in a thread where a person is telling you someone hit his his car that makes you look so bad.

If it was you being funny, maybe I just missed it .. so if it's not who you really are, I say go on and be happy .. if it was the real you saying that, then I say go and be happy and karma's a *****.

Either way .. and glad you got your car fixed good96!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM

If you live in the Bay Area there is a shop in San Carlos called Eurotech & they are advertising specials on details, Dent removal & wheel repairs. The prices are awesome ( just had some of it done )
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Wow, lot of angst here.

Sblime- you take up four spaces in the S550? I don't get it. When I had my TT i parked it anywhere as I wanted the use and practicality of the car. If one is scared to drive or park a car then in my opinion it doesn't make sense to own it. My RS6 will be my DD and, hold your breath, even released to valets!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 PM

06 612 Scaglietti
Honestly, i have noticed that people that worry about dents get them more often. I park all of my cars anywhere, it doesnt matter if it is tight parking or on the corner of the street. The only time i have had someone dent my door was back in 2001 when i had a my 1999 355 spider. I could tell though that whoever did it, did it intentionally. The dent was huge and it cost me aroun 800 to repair. A car is a piece of metal, so dont take it tooo hard.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Often have only one car so it needs to handle all my commute/wkend needs....

Idea of driving "beater" cars is absurd; if in any near-miss/accident, I'd rather be in a new CL/S-Class to dynamically avoid accidents...and to reduce odds of injuries to me if collision unavoidable....any car is disposable/insured anyway; one's health is much harder to ever "normalize" after a serious accid w/injuries....

But obsessive re: avoiding parking dings (rock chips from exuberant driving in mtn twisties are a badge of honor; pkg dings are super-annoying, as they result from being too close to slobs who often have various hygiene/disease issues, in addition to being unable to drive/park).....haven't ever had a ding/vandalism but IMO much is dependent on one's usual OCD parking schemes....

Live in a major city but a major criterion for my house was layout of garage...
Have a reserved spot in a high-end office pkg garage...stiff pricing screens out those who care less re: their cars....and generous tips mean pkg valets carefully watch over cars in high-rent section of garage....

Every evening self-park in front of one of my usual dining spots in city....generous tips to valet mean my car is watched over....

Will admit I don't run many family guy/DIY errands (life's too short for that nonsense anyway)....but when I go to grocery store/cleaners/shopping ctr....know the pkg layout of few spots that are more "protected"....avoid peak hrs; go in early/off-hrs when fewer slobs are around....taking up multiple spots is asking to be keyed....

And, as a car nut, will refuse to go to unknown restaurants/shops where I don't know pkg layout/dynamics.......time is simply too valuable for any car nut to deal w/annoying dings to car; and no car is ever same post-dings/paintwork, etc.....and, to-date, my usual pkg places work well.....

Suspect only place in US where infrastructure/car culture is so lame/annoying that thoughtfully deployed spending/tips/pkg tactics won't protect car from dings/scuffs is Manhattan....where NYC's generally 3rdWorld infrastructure/anti-car culture prevails...but IMO true car nuts eventually flee NYC region for CA anyway.....Darwinian selection....
Old 12-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Reminds me of that email video of the two ladies that go at it in the parking lot after one opens the door on the other...Just hilarious.
Dings are a frustrating fact of life. But those dent dr. guys can fix them and do a few multiples if needed when you do a world's best wax detail job every spring or fall or whenever...
Try not parking beside two door cars who need a wide berth when opening their doors. Also, I sometimes park my car on a slight angle within the spot to allow for more door swing room.
Lastly, if you need the tight spot, you can back in so that it's impossible to open the passenger doors of both cars, assuring room for the drivers side to have lots of room. (in rare circumstances). If there is a passenger, then it's obvious that the driver has to pull out first.
Otherwise, suck it up and take it like a man and move on.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML 350, 2009 Smart Passion, 2004 Audi TT Quattro
Originally Posted by carsnob
Otherwise, suck it up and take it like a man and move on.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I usually leave a note on the offending car before I leave, right on their paint with my key.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
wow i sense a lot of anger & hostility in this thread..

anyway, next time you see a dent, don't wait for the driver to show up.. put on a Timberland steel toe boot and slam his car as hard as possible
Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM

SL55
How about a nice door guard.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Offensive people

I believe the anger voiced by owners in this thread is well founded. Dings and dents are the result of careless people who have no respect for other people’s property. I don’t think anyone should think they have a right to damage someone’s car and not be responsible for it. It’s neither acceptable nor justifiable as it is easily prevented. It’s not that hard to be careful enough when getting out of your car as to not put a dent in the car next to you. The pride of ownership I have in my car is clearly evident by its immaculate appearance and how carefully it is parked. If someone were to not recognize this and carelessly park their car next to me, swing their door open and damage what I have worked so hard to preserve, it would bring me to the edge of violent irrational behavior.

Some of the responses by those of you who think that if you can afford this car you should be able to afford to fix their mistake, or “how would you know I did it?” make me sick. It’s not about the money - and doesn’t everybody perform a ding check of both sides of their car before they get in it to drive off? I’m amazed that there are people who actually try to justify such offensive behavior.

Last edited by NJS430; 12-17-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Don't have a position on men versus women or bi versus gay on denting doors, but I also got one at our office parking lot some time ago (so far not on the W221, better knock on wood). The place should be mostly highly educated people but obviously at least not all

At malls and similar I've always parked at the most distant place, it is really annoying if then someone with no respect comes next to you and makes a dent.

In the office parking lot I've learned to know car owners who do care about their cars, you can see how they park one side to a wall or so, saving at least the other side, and when at the last square, not parking in the middle but as far as possible from the square for the next car. Now if I don't find a place with one door towards a wall, I park next to one of these cars, and towards their side of my square because I know they would not dent my car. They either hate me leaving less space on their side, or they understand it knowing I would not dent their car (actually no one exiting/entering from their side).

Many say "it is just a car", even on this thread. Yes it is, nothing like some person getting injured in a car accident but as long as it is completely avoidable, I really cannot have the "take it easy" attitude.
i do the same i park far and if theres a spot next to a wall i park as close as i can to the wall, or as close to a handycap spot line, cause theres so many in a row at the mall and there all not used plus there bigger spaces for them so they have plenty of room
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by NJS430
I believe the anger voiced by owners in this thread is well founded. Dings and dents are the result of careless people who have no respect for other people’s property. I don’t think anyone should think they have a right to damage someone’s car and not be responsible for it. It’s neither acceptable nor justifiable as it is easily prevented. It’s not that hard to be careful enough when getting out of your car as to not put a dent in the car next to you. The pride of ownership I have in my car is clearly evident by its immaculate appearance and how carefully it is parked. If someone were to not recognize this and carelessly park their car next to me, swing their door open and damage what I have worked so hard to preserve, it would bring me to the edge of violent irrational behavior.

Some of the responses by those of you who think that if you can afford this car you should be able to afford to fix their mistake, or “how would you know I did it?” make me sick. It’s not about the money - and doesn’t everybody perform a ding check of both sides of their car before they get in it to drive off? I’m amazed that there are people who actually try to justify such offensive behavior.

lol i deff do a ding check lol
Old 12-24-2007, 05:39 PM

M5
I had a C230 dent my car and I have a police report that states, "Dent was located on r/rear door of BMW and the height/shape was consistent with the door from the MBZ." My insurance company didn't offer to track the other party's insurance company and the officer didn't require the information to be exchanged.

I hope opinions don't matter too much in court. The fact is that one party damaged the other party's door. I would hope the court can see the facts, not opinions. I value perfection because I am a craftsman and in a sense artist since I've cut my own hair for the last 20yrs and build my own cabinets. These dents matter to me and if someone does not share the same values, they are not wrong, but they are not right either; everyone has different personalities, interests and values. Thus, I hope the law bases its decision on the facts.

Another extreme example to make a point is, what if I was standing next to a painting, eating my hot dog and ketchup squirted on the painting? I wipe it off saying no big deal. But to the painter, who spent all those hours/days/months worrying and getting the painting to be perfection, gets mad. The painter has every right to feel this way, even if it means nothing to me. The painting may be only worth $10, so I tell him/her to suck it up. Who's wrong in this picture?

I honestly think it's disrespectful and mindless of other peoples' values and property for one to tell another person to suck it up. These people are not paying the bill and it's easy to say suck it up. Ask them to pay the pill and they won't. Thus, it's hypocritical to tell others to suck it up. The person who was harmed did not do anything wrong but yet gets flamed. Where is the logic in this? I question who is really the good person.

Last edited by a_ok2me; 12-24-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:47 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
No Ding Club

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a window sticker you could put on your car that says "Have no fear parking next to me - I won't dent your door and I trust you won't dent mine". Maybe an image of a car with it's door banging into another car and a red circle with a line through it. For those of us who really care about our cars, it would be a way for us to help one another.

I know I have never dented the door of another vehicle.