S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Very Unimpressed with ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Sorry - this story is sounding increasingly bizarre! You were chased by killer Hyundai's?

Whatever the cause, your vehicle lost contact with the road surface and you lost control ...neither ESP or AWD is going to save you from the consequences of driving inappropriately for the road conditions - which from your description you appeared unaware of. Beyond that I don't think any of us can comment... from what I read from your description ESP tried its best to retrieve your situation, but you had put your vehicle into a situation which was beyond the abilities of any system of this type to address.

That does not mean ESP is unimpressive - only that it is engineered to work within certain tolerances that you exceeded..

Chris

Well im talking about the first thing with the stop sign. Not the hyundai...I never said killer!! lol
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 AM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Sorry - this story is sounding increasingly bizarre! You were chased by killer Hyundai's?

Whatever the cause, your vehicle lost contact with the road surface and you lost control ...neither ESP or AWD is going to save you from the consequences of driving inappropriately for the road conditions - which from your description you appeared unaware of. Beyond that I don't think any of us can comment... from what I read from your description ESP tried its best to retrieve your situation, but you had put your vehicle into a situation which was beyond the abilities of any system of this type to address.

That does not mean ESP is unimpressive - only that it is engineered to work within certain tolerances that you exceeded..

Chris
Im just glad it actually stopped though. I was going straight for the sidewalk and a stop sign pole...it sopped a couple feet before thank god
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
What's the speed limit in your neighborhood? 85?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 AM

750Li
I dont like the brains of ESP either. If I want to smoke the ***** out of the tires, I turn the ESP off - it still manages to come on by itself flashing the yellow triangle. Its a good safety feature but if I want to turn it off - it should stay off.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by doktorek
I dont like the brains of ESP either. If I want to smoke the ***** out of the tires, I turn the ESP off - it still manages to come on by itself flashing the yellow triangle. Its a good safety feature but if I want to turn it off - it should stay off.
Why not then turn it off (it can be turned off)? But this isn't done by pressing the ESP off from the button, this just turns off traction control etc. to make it easier to get going at thick snow or soft sand etc. On normal driving there is no need to switch ESP completely off.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by trumpet1
What's the speed limit in your neighborhood? 85?
Lol...its actually 40, but there are big streets, and noones really home around the time I come home. And the fastest ive gone is 60...acceleration tests...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by doktorek
I think its good and bad. When it comes to acceleration, it stinks because its always cutting power. But I think its good. Because today in the S, I made a U turn and barely gave it any gas and the car oversteered a little bit...and also today I went around a few corners pretty fast and since it just finished raining, the street was still wet, and I could feel the car slip, and then I could feel the car catch itself..its pretty cool.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Why not then turn it off (it can be turned off)? But this isn't done by pressing the ESP off from the button, this just turns off traction control etc. to make it easier to get going at thick snow or soft sand etc. On normal driving there is no need to switch ESP completely off.
Yeah, to do that, you put the car in accessory mode, where with Keyless Go, you push the button once with your foot off the brake, and hold the "OK" button, and the answer call button...just make sure the door is closed, and with the key, stick the key in, and turn it one click and do the same...if thats what your talking about. . .
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
You are pretty damn cocky for a young kid. Learn to respect your elders.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
There is absolutely no comparison between an Audi with quattro and a RWD Mercedes with ESP. The Audi is 10 times more stable.
Both are only as stable as the 4 contact patches you have on the ground.

AWD does NOT give you more GRIP (lateral traction) - grip on the road = the holding force of 4 tire contact patches on the ground. When you're sliding sideways, a AWD and a RWD (or even a FWD) car will have the same amount of GRIP (zero). It's how you control and regain control of the traction that's available to you that matters.

AWD only helps with linear traction - it will give you more forward accelerative force in poor conditions because of the extra traction gained from the extra pair of treads on the ground, and also prevent the possibility of one wheel becoming trapped (open diff effect).

AWD, contrary to most people's ideas, does not help you turn better or stop any better (which is why so many people crash SUV's in the snow, because of a false sense of security)

Read up on theories, take an advanced driving class and most importantly, drive safe and know your limits.

*PS, add me to those who are anti-ESP. I don't need any extra electronic nannies watching over me thanks - no esp, abs, bas, blah blah blah... give me a bone-stock miata or elise anyday thanks!

Last edited by [180]; 01-25-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 PM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Wow, you are a brave man,180. Sparks are about to fly, none the less ,it should be of subject of interest to all.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 AM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by 04S430
Wow, you are a brave man,180. Sparks are about to fly, none the less ,it should be of subject of interest to all.
I dont get it? What are you guys talking about?
Old 01-26-2008, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by [180]
Both are only as stable as the 4 contact patches you have on the ground.

AWD does NOT give you more GRIP (lateral traction) - grip on the road = the holding force of 4 tire contact patches on the ground. When you're sliding sideways, a AWD and a RWD (or even a FWD) car will have the same amount of GRIP (zero). It's how you control and regain control of the traction that's available to you that matters.

AWD only helps with linear traction - it will give you more forward accelerative force in poor conditions because of the extra traction gained from the extra pair of treads on the ground, and also prevent the possibility of one wheel becoming trapped (open diff effect).

AWD, contrary to most people's ideas, does not help you turn better or stop any better (which is why so many people crash SUV's in the snow, because of a false sense of security)

Read up on theories, take an advanced driving class and most importantly, drive safe and know your limits.

*PS, add me to those who are anti-ESP. I don't need any extra electronic nannies watching over me thanks - no esp, abs, bas, blah blah blah... give me a bone-stock miata or elise anyday thanks!

I was about to post something similar about AWD. The fact that it gives so much better acceleration, specifically at slippery conditions, often fools people to think it would improve friction and making braking and cornering "10 time better".

AWD could help marginally in cornering when avoiding tyre slip (at the same acceleration, less rear wheel torque when the front takes a part) but with an S550 and a wet road, if you push the pedal, tyres would slip anyway, until ESP (or traction control) takes control.

An Audi A4 has a totally different weight distribution (not only front/rear axle balance), these cars should not be compared as apples to apples.

I'm one swearing for electrical driving aids. I'm never counting on those and don't remember ever really being in need but at winter on snow it is easy to figure out how the electronics aids outperform a driver. Several scenarios ask for different braking power on different wheels and I have not seen a driver who can do that with a commercial car.

There was a study in Europe showing a dramatic decrease on severe accidents when cars were equipped with ESP. EU was considering making ESP mandatory but that was not done because the car industry agreed to do it voluntarily.

I believe we agree mostly on the AWD but as posted earlier, I don't see why we should argue on ESP either if you want to get rid of all the electronic driving aids, you can do it (not from the ESP button, but I certainly would not recommend doing that).
Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Originally Posted by sme636500
I dont get it? What are you guys talking about?
Sorry if I phrased this the wrong way. I just wanted to keep this discussion going. It seems to be such a debatable subject.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:33 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by 04S430
Sorry if I phrased this the wrong way. I just wanted to keep this discussion going. It seems to be such a debatable subject.
ohh okay lol