S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Profile of S-Class Buyer

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 with AMG Sport Pkg
U.S. News and World Report Best Super Luxury Cars
2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - What the Auto Press Says
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class ranks 2 out of 7 Super Luxury Cars (behind 2009 7-Series). This ranking is based on our analysis of 83 published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.

The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the showcase for what the world's oldest automaker can do. It offers a choice of two exemplary engines, a state-of-the-art interior that combines old-world luxury with advanced electronics, and prestige. Reviewers say, however, that it can be far more expensive than its competition, and its electronic driver interface is needlessly complicated.

"The S-Class defines personal luxury," raves the Chicago Tribune. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel comments, "If there is such a thing as an embarrassment of riches, surely the Mercedes-Benz S550 luxury sedan is somewhere on the list." Standout features include an adjustable air suspension that allows the driver to adjust ride firmness to driving conditions as well as the car's extraordinary seats -- which use 11 separate inflatable air chambers to change shape, keeping occupants stable even through aggressive maneuvers.

But the S-Class sometimes tries to be too many things to too many segments of the market. The least expensive S-Class, the S550, competes with the Lexus LS, Audi A8 and other premium luxury sedans -- and it's more expensive than all of them. The most expensive S-Class, the extraordinary S65 AMG, costs more than twice as much as the S550 - nearing the price tag of vehicles from ultra-premium makes like Rolls Royce and Bentley. With that incredible span, Mercedes has produced a car that might be too expensive for competition in the super-luxury class, and not exclusive enough to compete in the rarified air above it. That could push some premium buyers to more exclusive nameplates.

The S-Class is sold in an S550 model and an all-wheel-drive S550 4Matic edition powered by a 5.5-liter V8 making 382 horsepower. A more athletic S600 is driven by a 6.2-liter twin-turbo V12 putting out 510 horsepower. Two high-performance AMG editions are reviewed separately.

For 2009, some previously-optional features are offered as standard equipment. These include a leather-wrapped wooden steering wheel, a pair of steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters, and the S600's 19-inch wheels.

"The planet's best luxury car." -- Car and Driver

"One of the finest luxury sedans one can buy short of much more expensive options from Bentley, Maybach or Rolls-Royce. The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class will no doubt satisfy just about any ultra-luxury-sedan buyer. But it's still worth taking a look at other options. Specifically, the all-new 2009 BMW 750i should be a more athletic-handling alternative to the S550, and the often-overlooked Audi A8." -- Edmunds

"S-Class defines luxury motoring. Encompassing serenity and inspiring road manners are among its hallmarks. Unfortunately, cars of this caliber also force the driver to interact with diversionary hi-tech features, many of which require far too many steps to adjust. In that regard, the S-Class runs with the pack." -- Consumer Guide

"The Mercedes-Benz S-class has been the best-selling car in its class for decades because it looks good (unlike the BMW 7-series), it has a reputation for quality (unlike Cadillac and Jaguar), and the three-pointed star on its hood is a beacon of status and wealth (unlike Audi)." -- Automobile Magazine

+"The new S550 is a superb automobile and a techno wonder, sure to generate ooohhs and aaahhs wherever it goes." -- Motor Trend

"The Mercedes-Benz S-Class has long been considered a luxury sedan archetype - classy, coddling, yet practical. Bursting with technological advancements and endowed with superb mechanical refinement that must be experienced to truly appreciate, the S-Class remains a top choice for corporate executives, diplomats, celebrities and -- given such high-clout clientele -- armored-car outfitters." -- Forbes

+"There probably is something the Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan can't do. What that may be escapes us at the moment." -- Chicago Tribune

+"It's another gorgeous German V8 luxury limo, with its cloud-like air suspensions, big tires, massive brakes, perfect steering -- a great walloping overload of effortless performance and pleasure, an endless source of sweet machine satisfaction, more car than you would ever need, a sheer, decadent surfeit." -- Los Angeles Times

S-Class Performance - 9.2 (Excellent)
In its least expensive form, the S-Class is seen as a fine performer. Driving the S 550, Motor Trend says "nobody's going to want for power in this Benz." In its higher trim level, it offers blistering acceleration. Both models are surprisingly agile for their size, reviewers say. The S-Class rides on a unique suspension system that uses four air bladders to support the vehicle, which inflate and deflate to level the car in response to every turn. Every reviewer seems to take time to remark on the S-Class's handling, with many comparing it to much smaller sport sedans, even though this car weighs nearly two-and-a-half tons.

S-Class Exterior - 8.7 (Very Good)
The 2009 Mercedes S-Class is not a radical departure from the classic look of big Mercedes sedans, but it does update the look. The Detroit News says, "A lot of attention was paid to the car's silhouette. Where the previous model was slab-sided," the new S-Class "is defined by bold wheel arches, side creases and a long hood." Those looking for raw sex appeal in a super-luxury car might want to consider its cousin, the Mercedes-Benz CLS.

S-Class Interior - 8.8 (Very Good)
As the flagship of the world's oldest luxury automaker, the S-Class offers an interior of exceptional luxury and sophistication. Reviewers continually praise its 14-way power adjustable seats, which include air-filled bolsters that inflate to cradle passengers through sharp turns. Reviews also make note of the advanced technology inside the cabin. Motor Trend says "buyers may have trouble simply figuring out which gizmo to play with next." Many reviewers, however, dislike its COMAND driver interface, which controls entertainment, climate control and navigation features through a single screen.

S-Class Safety - NA
Neither the federal government nor the insurance industry has crash tested the S-class.. With an extensive list of safety features, the S-Class seems likely to perform well if they ever do. The Los Angeles Times says, "In a quest for what marketers call 'key differentiators,' Mercedes has come back to its traditional safety message." The S-Class features Mercedes' PreSafe system, which senses an impending collision and responds by quickly closing open windows and sunroofs, swelling the seat bolsters to provide more support during an impact, cinching seatbelts and priming brakes with extra power.

S-Class Reliability - 8.0 (Very Good)
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class reliability score shown is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS). Mercedes protects buyers of the 2009 S-Class with a four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, which buyers can extend at an additional cost. During the first year of ownership, certain maintenance procedures are complimentary.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Official: The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid
Four years after the market launch of the W 221 model series, Mercedes-Benz is presenting the 2009 S-Class. The technology highlights include the world’s first standard production hybrid drive with a lithium-ion battery in the S 400 HYBRID, which makes the top-of-the-line Mercedes-Benz model the most economical petrol-engine luxury saloon. The fuel consumption of 7.9 liters per 100 kilometers (which is 29.7 mpg) corresponds to carbon dioxide emissions of just 186 grams per kilometer.

The engine range further includes eight modern petrol and diesel engines that require up to seven per cent less fuel. With an average fuel consumption of 7.6 liters of diesel (31 mpg), the S 350 BlueEFFICIENCY is one of the most efficient models in the luxury segment. The S-Class’s traditionally exemplary standard of safety is further enhanced by a unique combination of innovative camera- and radar-based driver assistance systems which turn the luxury saloon into an “intelligent” partner on the road. These systems include Adaptive Highbeam Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Speed Limit Assist and the advanced Night View Assist PLUS facility. Other innovations are the ATTENTION ASSIST drowsiness detection function and automatic crosswind stabilization.
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-s400-01.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-s400-02.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Updated 2010 Mercedes-Benz S-Class World Debut
Four years after the market launch of the W 221 model series, Mercedes-Benz is presenting the 2009 S-Class. Trailblazing innovations in the areas of comfort and drive engineering combined with state-of-the-art technology for enhanced safety consolidate the Mercedes-Benz flagship's position as the brand's innovation driver and underscore its pioneering role in the automotive industry as a whole.

With 270,000 units sold since its market launch in autumn 2005, the W 221-series S-Class is the world's most successful luxury saloon, and seamlessly continues the success story of the flagship model in the Mercedes line-up. Since 1951, when the model 220 began the lineage of the S-Class, Mercedes-Benz has delivered around 3.3 million passenger cars from this model series to customers.
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-s-2010-01.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-s-2010-02.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-s-2010-03.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-s-2010-04.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-s-2010-05.jpg  

Profile of S-Class Buyer-s-2010-06.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by JohnH4260
Updated 2010 Mercedes-Benz S-Class World Debut
Four years after the market launch of the W 221 model series, Mercedes-Benz is presenting the 2009 S-Class. Trailblazing innovations in the areas of comfort and drive engineering combined with state-of-the-art technology for enhanced safety consolidate the Mercedes-Benz flagship's position as the brand's innovation driver and underscore its pioneering role in the automotive industry as a whole.

With 270,000 units sold since its market launch in autumn 2005, the W 221-series S-Class is the world's most successful luxury saloon, and seamlessly continues the success story of the flagship model in the Mercedes line-up. Since 1951, when the model 220 began the lineage of the S-Class, Mercedes-Benz has delivered around 3.3 million passenger cars from this model series to customers.
Wonder how many 2007 thur 2009 CL's have been made?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Wonder how many 2007 thur 2009 CL's have been made?
CL sales are roughly 15% of S-Class sales (unit vols) and disclosed monthly by MBUSA

But really location-dependent....I prob see 3-4 new CL63 030 or CL65 (none of those codgerly 600 or underpowered/underbraked/plasticky 550 though) in my office parking garage and in front of key restaurants in SF every day....and nearly all these guys (many are colleagues and pals) have orders to get '10 CL65....an addictive car among a jaded crowd indeed
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by WSH
CL sales are roughly 15% of S-Class sales (unit vols) and disclosed monthly by MBUSA

But really location-dependent....I prob see 3-4 new CL63 030 or CL65 (none of those codgerly 600 or underpowered/underbraked/plasticky 550 though) in my office parking garage and in front of key restaurants in SF every day....and nearly all these guys (many are colleagues and pals) have orders to get '10 CL65....an addictive car among a jaded crowd indeed
I've had my 2008 CL here in KC since the first of the year and have not seen another CL on the road during that period. I kind of like that, but the car really is a sleeper. Most people have no idea what it is, kind of blends in. I think they have a very classy look and are wonderful to drive.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM

The Story of the Mercedes-Benz Brand
If you’re a Mercedes-Benz enthusiast, you know the Mercedes-Benz brand is on top of the world in terms of its reputation. If you’d like to know more exactly about how this brand came to be, consider a recent book by author Leslie Butterfield.

In the book, Enduring Passion: The Story of the Mercedes-Benz Brand, Butterfield examines Mercedes-Benz as a brand phenomenon. Butterfield gives an insightful look at how the brand was developed over the years. Things like the myths surrounding the brand, as well as how Mercedes fared in the face of war, mergers and economic uncertainty are covered.

The book features a large format, and is illustrated richly. Many of the photographs have not previously been published. Here, you can read and see the life story of the Mercedes Benz brand, and trace its history as it has become a symbol of both elegance and power around the globe.
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-enduring-passion-01.jpg  
Old 04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Where do you guys find those stats on Car Sales through the months and/or years?

Also, does anyone know how the 221 has sold compared to the 220 during its first few years?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by trumpet1
People are tightening their wallets and MBs are historically 10-20% more expensive than the others. Also, the defunked marriage to Chrysler hurt Benz about as bad as the subsidized housing market hurt our economy. Glad to hear that marriage ended as soon as it did. I also have mixed feeings as to how Mercedes is trying to keep up with all of the other car companies by building so many variants (3 different kinds of SUVs, cabriolets, vans, 4 door coupes, green cars, station wagons, Maybach limousines) Get rid of M, R, G, GL, CLK, CLS . I remember when MB only sold S classes and smaller cars like the 220/240/300 Diesels. It was special when you saw a luxurious Mercedes rolling down the road as you knew that was their bread and butter vehicle and you stood out when you owned one. Now you see folks who work for Krispy Kreme doughnuts driving a NEW Mercedes to work. It wouldn't surprise me now if they started selling pickup trucks and touring motorcycles. Daimler needs to stop looking so desperate and go back to what worked and what got their image to where it is today.....sell S and E classes and the variants within those models like the SL, CL.

Just my thoughts.
My sentiments EXACTLY.

M-B is looking really desperate and slowly but surely lowering their overall perception by the public, even despite the natural improvements here and there. All the different models and huge SUV fleet are making some of their cars unnoticed, I can't tell their SUV's apart from Japanese offerings usually.

I think BMW's rise has them scared and re-thinking the companies historical outlook. IMO by looking at and studying the new E-Class, it seems like it's/they are in a fight between the classic M-B timeless and conservative design approach, and busy looking/gimmicky/time-specific designs (i.e BMW currently up until their new 7). That interview with Wagoner pretty much says it.

If they lose their way and become wannabee BMW's (the first to start the flamboyant and controversial designs between the two), they will lose their way fast IMO, which is unfortunate as they have always been leader in what it is that they do, and I have always lusted to drive an M-B far over a BMW or other offerings in the past.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Problem is they all look to much alike. The new C class looks like a small S class. I am sure that to most people when my CL is coming down the road towards them they can't tell it from a C class.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
Where do you guys find those stats on Car Sales through the months and/or years?
autospies.com
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 AM

07 S550
Problem is they all look to much alike. The new C class looks like a small S class. I am sure that to most people when my CL is coming down the road towards them they can't tell it from a C class.
The person that is driving knows the difference. That is all that counts...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:30 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by softgenious
The person that is driving knows the difference. That is all that counts...
I understand and enjoy my car and in this economy a lower profile and the fact that the masses don't realize you are driving a $100+ car is a good thing but MB doesn't really separate the models and levels that much. My CL550 is slower then a CL65 but they look alike and in the real world of everyday driving there isn't $80K in difference in these two cars at least not my $80K
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550 Tectite Black
+1
Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM

2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Review (TheCarConnection.com)
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class costs a pretty penny, so experts at TheCarConnection.com expect it to be immaculately designed. Fortunately, the S-Class delivers.

Motor Trend feels the latest S-Class "continues to set the standard" for full-size luxury sedans, while Car and Driver likes its "handsome exterior design," and ForbesAutos calls it "elegant." As Kelley Blue Book says, the Mercedes-Benz 2009 provides a "polished, sleek shape," with its sloping front end and its classic Mercedes grille. Cars.com also singles out this last aspect of the 2009 Mercedes-Benz for its style, stating that its "strong visual presence is highlighted by a sleek front end." The front end of the Mercedes-Benz 2009 isn't its only exterior appeal; Edmunds praises the "aggressive wheelwell flares and a wedge-like profile that's emphasized with a rising character line," and Cars.com reports the optional AMG Sport Package "gives the S-Class some of the look, if not the performance, of a high-performance AMG version of the S-Class."

Cars.com contends the interior of the S-Class "offers a level of power, luxury, technology and prestige" worthy of its hefty price tag. The S-Class's interior is very spacious and well designed; it's "ostentatious and comfortable," according to ForbesAutos. Kelley Blue Book agrees, saying "understated elegance is the theme on the inside" of the Mercedes-Benz 2009, while noting the "amber ambient lighting" that rings the front of the cabin. The outside is a prelude to a car that "defines luxury motoring," ConsumerGuide declares. The instrument panel has a simple but very elegant design, with a broad, sweeping horizontal theme and impressive-looking wood veneers.

TheCarConnection.com’s editors note that the latest version of Mercedes-Benz's COMAND screen-based interface replaces the clutter of smaller controls in the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but it's not always as intuitive as it could be, as will be discussed more in the Features section of this review.

Conclusion STYLING | 8 out of 10
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is almost perfectly styled inside and out.

Experts at TheCarConnection.com find that the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class performs well—which is good, considering the price tag on this baby.

Cars.com says that any one of the options in the S-Class's engine lineup is "powerful and makes this big sedan lunge forward when you mash the gas pedal to the floor." The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class provides a total of four different engine options. The S550 comes with a 5.5-liter V-8 with 382 horsepower and 391 pound-feet of torque; the S600 has a 5.5-liter twin-turbo V-12, with 510 hp and 612 lb-ft of torque; the S63 has a 6.3-liter V-8 with 518 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque; and the S65 AMG gets a powerful 6.0-liter V-12 turbo, which creates a whopping 604 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque.

Even the smallest of the available engines in the 2009 Mercedes-Benz creates a driving machine that maintains "stunning performance," says Edmunds: "Zero-to-60-mph times range from the low-four-second to low-six-second range—seriously quick by any standard, let alone when one is referring to a large luxury sedan." Cars.com calls driving that version of the Mercedes-Benz 2009 a "performance treat," and Kelley Blue Book highlights its "effortless power." The smallest engine on the S550 achieves 0-60 in just under six seconds: "Mercedes-Benz cites a zero-to-60-mph time of 5.4 seconds for the S550, which is stunning considering the sedan's 4,465-pound curb weight," Cars.com reports. On the other end of the range, the 6.0-liter V-12 turbocharged engine powers into the four-second range, which explains why ForbesAutos notes that in the S-Class, acceleration is "brisk but smooth."

All of the trims use automatic transmissions. ConsumerGuide is impressed with the automatics' performance: "downshifts are quick," and "passing power is particularly impressive." The V-12 engines are paired with five-speed transmissions, while the V-8 models use seven-speed transmissions. Cars.com points out that the seven-speed transmission in the S-Class "performs in a purposeful, quiet way." Mercedes offers an all-wheel-drive option on the S550.

Most of the powerplants get EPA-estimated 11 mpg city and 17 mpg highway; the 5.5-liter V-8 achieves a slightly better 14/21 mpg on the rear-wheel-drive version and 14/20 mpg on the all-wheel drive. As Kelley Blue Book puts it, "fuel economy is slightly less than its contemporaries, but that's probably not a major purchase issue."

Edmunds states that overall, "handling and ride dynamics are impressive." All of the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class models have a very absorbent, well-settled ride that manages to soak up small potholes with little jarring inside the cabin and remain remarkably quiet. ConsumerGuide likes the combination of comfort and control, saying "the suspension offers Sport and Comfort firmness settings; Sport makes the ride slightly more taut but at little sacrifice in comfort"; they also appreciate how the S-Class models' "suspension automatically adjusts for firmness and load leveling."

Yet thanks to a host of electronics, the S-Class also handles quite well—and gets tauter and more responsive in AMG editions. The standard Airmatic suspension has adaptive damping to adjust quickly to rough roads or fast driving on switchbacks. Cars.com contends that even though the 2009 Mercedes-Benz measures in at 17 feet, it's "pretty easy to maneuver through heavy, fast-moving highway traffic and feels rock-solid doing so." ForbesAutos notes its "secure handling," while Car and Driver adds, "All models are nimble for big cars, but the S63 AMG adds a new level of athleticism to the line."

Conclusion: PERFORMANCE | 8 out of 10
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz isn't just for appearances—it's also a strong performer.

Editors at TheCarConnection.com drive a lot of vehicles—and the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is one of the best when it comes to comfort and quality.

ConsumerGuide says that, overall, the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class "affords outstanding room and comfort." The front seats are spacious in a "large, soft, leather easy-chair type of way," according to Cars.com, and an optional set of "Drive-Dynamic" seats have amenities such as "fan ventilation, automatic-inflating side bolsters, and a relaxing massage function."

In back, the S-Class caters to two. ConsumerGuide remarks that, even with intrusion from the sunroof casing, "only the very tall will find headroom lacking." Edmunds likes the room in the backseat of the 2009 Mercedes-Benz and believes this is what makes it a "favorite of wealthy dads and heads of state alike." Cars.com actually goes so far as to call it a "massive backseat" that "offers tons of legroom and a backrest that's angled backward for optimal comfort" and sports "power-adjustable rear seats," though they note the rear bench is designed for two people, not three. Car and Driver reports, "All models are big, posh, and capable."

Kelley Blue Book points out that, inside, "storage spots are numerous" and calls the trunk a "trip-friendly luggage swallower." Even though you wouldn't guess it from the look of the rear end of the S-Class, the trunk is large, and ConsumerGuide says it is "usefully shaped, nicely finished, and includes an underfloor storage bin."

The interior of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class is designed with the driver and passengers in mind, with ease of use for controls and top-quality materials. Cars.com notes that luxury still applies to the design of the interior controls, pointing out the "leather instrument panel cover and classy chrome power window buttons," as well as the "beautiful burl walnut wood" that "graces the dash, doors and center console." For 2009, a wood and leather steering wheel is included on the S550.

The aural quality of the S-Class is just as one would expect, and ConsumerGuide says, "travel is serene, with little road or wind noise."

Conclusion: COMFORT AND QUALITY | 9 out of 10
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is designed to be a luxury car—and it lives up to its calling.

Experts at TheCarConnection.com love the safety features included on the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class, even though the vehicle has not yet been crash-tested.

Neither the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) nor the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) have yet crash-tested the S-Class.

Still, the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class has many standard safety features, including side curtain airbags, front and rear side airbags, an anti-lock braking system, and traction control, reports ConsumerGuide.

An optional safety feature on the 2009 Mercedes-Benz is Night View Assist, which can see "almost 500 feet ahead of the car and display the view in the instrument panel," according to Cars.com.

Even more fun are the high-tech goodies. The Pre-Safe system is Mercedes' way of mitigating an impending accident. As Cars.com explains it, "by monitoring the braking, steering and stability systems, Pre-Safe can ready occupants for a collision by tightening the seat belts, adjusting the position of the front passenger seat and available power rear seats, and closing the windows." An even more advanced version of Pre-Safe requires the optional Distronic Plus adaptive cruise control, which brakes and accelerates the Mercedes-Benz 2009 as needed to avoid accidents.

Conclusion: SAFETY | 9 out of 10
A host of high-tech safety features on the 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class add to its already secure feel.

The S-Class's "long list of comfort and convenience features assures bragging rights among even the most jaded enthusiast," ForbesAutos says. All S-Class sedans come with features such as "a navigation system, hands-free cell phone communication, a Harman Kardon audio system and of course, rich leather and wood trim," Edmunds reports. That "fine-sounding 14-speaker, 600-watt harmon/kardon(r) surround-sound system," Kelley Blue Book states, "plays CDs, DVDs and MP3s."

Also standard in the S-Class is the Mercedes COMAND system, which uses a knob controller and an in-dash screen to control secondary functions, much like similar systems from BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI. ForbesAutos reports that "some may still complain that it's not as user-friendly as it could be." Car and Driver asks rhetorically, "How many electronic gizmos are too many?" Kelley Blue Book contends that it takes a only a modest amount of study time to learn to operate the "COMAND system, through a turn-and-push, aluminum knob on the center console," which then allows the driver to utilize the one control for navigation, radio, phone, and other settings. Most other reviews grouse about using COMAND and the confusion that ensues; Cars.com says COMAND is "one of the more user-friendly versions" of these systems, but all the "high-tech features can be confusing."

Higher-end trims bump up the equipment ante. As Edmunds points out, the "AMG versions add 20-inch alloy wheels, an active suspension, larger brakes, sport seats and specific interior and exterior styling tweaks." New for 2009 are new steering-wheel shift paddles, redesigned power window switches, and a "Hold" braking feature. The S550 now also gets a power trunk lid, new wheels, and active ventilated and heated front seats.

Conclusion: FEATURES | 10 out of 10
The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is a luxury vehicle, with a features list that might leave only sultans wanting.

Bottom Line: The 2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is one of the best vehicles in the world—but you’ll pay for it.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz S63 and S65 Revealed
We have pictures of the upgraded and improved S63 and S65 AMG versions. As you’ll see in the picture gallery below, the 2010 S63/65 has a very refreshed look to it, the LED lights have a very contemporary look that we only see on new Audi’s. The stuff that matters has also been beefed up; a 604 hp twin-turbo 6.0 V12 engine will surely make you forget about the competitors, you’ll probably even feel pity for them, when you hit the gas paddle and the S65’s 738 lb-ft. torque engine kicks in.

The new S-Class AMG models are more distinguished from the standard S-Class, with a larger front air intake below the bumper. The round foglights have been replaced by strips of LED lighting. There are LED taillights as well. To sum it up it, there are LEDs everywhere - which we love.

The official microsite has also been launched on the German Mercedes-Benz website below.
http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...ebspecial.html
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-amg-s63-s65-01.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-amg-s63-s65-02.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-amg-s63-s65-03.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-amg-s63-s65-04.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-amg-s63-s65-05.jpg  

Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 AM

AMG Sports package for the 2010 S-Class and CL-Class
The updated AMG body styling includes a front apron with large air intakes, rear apron with rectangular tailpipe trim in polished stainless steel. AMG side sill panels, 19-inch AMG light-alloy wheels with a five-spoke design and wide-base 255/40 (front) and 275/40 (rear), 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels are available as an option in a twin-spoke design with 255/35 and 275/35 tires.

The AMG Sports package is available for all S-Class models with a short or long wheelbase, as well as for the CL 500 and CL 500 4MATIC. It costs between 5831 and 7973 euros; the market launch commences in June 2009. In addition to the S-Class and CL-Class, the new E-Class Saloon, the new E-Class Coupé and the C-Class can be equipped with the AMGSports package.
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-s550-amg-01.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-s550-amg-02.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-2010-s550-amg-03.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM

2009 Miss Tuning Finalists
From April 30 to May 3rd, 250 exhibitors will be headed to Friedrichshafen, Germany for the seventh edition of Tuning World Bodensee.

While exhibitors will be involved in a comprehensive overview of the German tuning marketplace, most will be attracted to the selection of Miss Tuning 2009. 20 finalists have been chosen with the winner to be announced on May 3rd. The newly crowned Miss Tuning will be given a SEAT Ibiza SC by SEAT and Microsoft Xbox 360.

The new Miss Tuning calendar will be produced on the British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean.
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-tunning-01.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-tunning-02.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-tunning-03.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-tunning-04.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-tunning-05.jpg  

Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Bodykit from MEC Design
The MEC Design S-Class bodykit allows the customer the choice of having the front bumper with driving/fog lights or with just mesh. At the rear they have a choice between the sport diffusor or a diffusor. The side skirts are available with or without LED lighting (5 per side) which is linked up to the internal lighting. The spoiler on the rear trunk lid rounds off the rear end nicely. Overall, the MEC Design team has done a superb job of transforming the S-Class into more sporty and agile looking vehicle, without taking too much from the Mercedes look and feel.
Attached Thumbnails Profile of S-Class Buyer-mec-01.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-mec-02.jpg   Profile of S-Class Buyer-mec-03.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
So many variations, so many choices, so many decisions to be made. Those "fantastic tuner kits".
But...
none of them apply. Unless somebody is a pimp.
AMG = diamond
Aftermarket crap = Cubic Zirconia
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by markopolo
AMG = diamond
There's nothing like the genuine article...
Old 04-24-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S600 sold
So many variations, so many choices, so many decisions to be made. Those "fantastic tuner kits".
But...
AMG = diamond
+1
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM

CLS63, GLK350
But...
AMG = diamond
Have you added the AMG front/rear poser package to your 600?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Have you added the AMG front/rear poser package to your 600?
No, I haven't.
It's not an option in US (unless aftermarket).
I'm probably one of the very few who prefers to be in stealth mode. (As much as anybody can be with that beauty.) They never know what's coming or vanishing rather...with that torque...
I'm the "inside man", AMG package is for "outsiders", if you know what I mean, AMG63/65 excluded of course.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:53 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I'm the "inside man", AMG package is for "outsiders", if you know what I mean, AMG63/65 excluded of course.
I don't understand "inside man" versus "outsiders" ???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Profile of S-Class Buyer