S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Anyone regret getting distronic plus because you cannot use a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Mat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
I agree, however, really having your cake and eating it too would be to - use a different band and not the K band/frequency that is most commonly used by the Police - that's what my gripe is about - I like the distronic just not the fact that it interferes with the commonly used radar detectors - I have the K-40 in my M5 and love it - no worries and what a ride !
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Mat
I agree, however, really having your cake and eating it too would be to - use a different band and not the K band/frequency that is most commonly used by the Police - that's what my gripe is about - I like the distronic just not the fact that it interferes with the commonly used radar detectors - I have the K-40 in my M5 and love it - no worries and what a ride !
I was just having some internet forum fun with you on that.
I love my distronic and I don't use a radar detector and never have owned one, but I do see how you could be upset about this. I personally don't drive very fast as I usually never exceed setting my distronic over approx. 77mph. I feel like this gives me some reserve passing speed yet not hold up traffic behind me too long and also keeps me under the radar limit (in most jurisdictions) while all along I'm not having to disrupt my cruise control.
However, a similar problem that I find is that drivers who are using a radar detector usually hold up the left lane just after passing me as I must be setting it off. This in turn causes a jam up sometimes caused by my car, which I don't like. So yes, I suppose they should jump to some other frequency or method to make everyone happy.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
Thanks - what makes me mad is - there's no reason for such a simple fix to be an issue for a 100K car. I am sure the midcityengineering guys are having a ball !!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by Mat
Thanks - what makes me mad is - there's no reason for such a simple fix to be an issue for a 100K car. I am sure the midcityengineering guys are having a ball !!
I would suggest that Mercedes uses the K-band because technically it is the best and most reliable for the function. I am sure they evaluated all available frequencies and technologies before choosing what would work the best. It's as simple as that. I don't think they made a mistake and forgot to consider that radar detectors work on the same frequency. I find the distronic-plus feature to be most useful in traffic situations. So far it hasn't made a mistake and I haven't slammed into anyone so I am quite satisfied with their choice of frenquency. I think I'm just about over my fear that the system won't stop the car in time. Takes a little getting use to because the system doesn't react to brake lights and I do.

I don't know how much the Mid City interface costs but I would call them and see if they would offer you a discount as a forum member. I can tell you that I purchased their Video-in-Motion module and was impressed with the craftsmanship of the module. All OEM connectors and quality electronics. Took 10 minutes to install and it worked as described. Takes the block of all Comand functions that are not available when in motion (there are more things you can't do when the vehicle is moving then you would think.) Don't get hung-up about having to spend a few extra dollars to be able to enjoy such an extraordinary car. I think Motor Trend got it right when they picked it over the new BMW750 and the Audi A8 and said - "Ride, style, power delivery -- the S550 nails all the major luxury categories."

Last edited by NJS430; 08-13-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by NJS430
I would suggest that Mercedes uses the K-band because technically it is the best and most reliable for the function. I am sure they evaluated all available frequencies and technologies before choosing what would work the best. It's as simple as that. I don't think they made a mistake and forgot to consider that radar detectors work on the same frequency. I find the distronic-plus feature to be most useful in traffic situations. So far it hasn't made a mistake and I haven't slammed into anyone so I am quite satisfied with their choice of frenquency. I think I'm just about over my fear that they system won't stop the car in time. Takes a little getting use to because the system doesn't react to brake lights and I do.

I don't know how much the Mid City interface costs but I would call them and see if they would offer you a discount as a forum member. I can tell you that I purchased their Video-in-Motion module and was impressed with the craftsmanship of the module. All OEM connectors and quality electronics. Took 10 minutes to install and it worked as described. Takes the block of all Comand functions that are not available when in motion (there are more things you can't do when the vehicle is moving then you would think.) Don't get hung-up about having to spend a few extra dollars to be able to enjoy such an extraordinary car. I think Motor Trend got it right when they picked it over the new BMW750 and the Audi A8 and said - "Ride, style, power delivery -- the S550 nails all the major luxury categories."

It's never failed me either. It is my favorite feature of my car without a doubt.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
mhh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Can someone help me here? I have Distronic+ in my W221 S65. If I have a detector fitted, can I turn off the D+ and the detector will work as intended?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 S430
Originally Posted by NJS430
Radar detection is not a feature offered, it’s not legal in some states, and it is unreasonable to expect the company to engineer their product around third party radar sensing equipment that is not needed worldwide.
Makes sense. Though detectors are only illegal in D.C. & Virginia, unless someone else changed their laws.

For the people that think detectors are a waste of time & don't help, you couldn't be more wrong. True, they don't make your car invisible. So if you're the only car on the road & are speeding you'll get nailed while your detector is going off. The LEO will just wait until he sees you to turn on his radar. What the naysayers forget is that the detector owner relies on the LEO sampling traffic with his radar unit (some lazy LEOs even leave their unit constantly on). The folks with good detectors will pick up the stray signals in plenty of time, as the signals bounce off of objects, to slow down. Detectors are fairly worthless against LIDAR (laser). Though their are other options that work in conjunction with your detector to take care of that....

I've been using detectors for 19 years now. The detectors have saved me from hundreds of tickets over that time. My privilege to drive would have been taken away for life a long time ago had I not used detectors. So for a lead foot like myself detectors are a must have.

I'm not putting D+ down. I'm sure it's a great feature that most seem to enjoy. Hopefully MB will change the frequency of D+ so everyone will be happy.

Last edited by oneslackr; 08-30-2009 at 05:02 PM.