S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Trade in your S-Class for a Hyundai Genesis?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
So I saw my first Genesis today, it was a silver one. I was very surprised...

Because it was REALLY nice. It looks pretty sharp in person, a bit anonymous but gets your attention with some sharper details than some of the generic cars that resemble it a bit.

I could see the lines and little chrome trim on the doors are an obvious copy of the S-Class, and the grille to me isn't as close to the W221's as a lot of people think it is (Hyundai is definitely trying to mimmic it though), however it actually looks much better in person than it does in pictures as well, as in the pics it seemed to have a flabby and blah look to it, it's a bit more defined and sharper in person with a nice chrome shine. The trunks "Bangle-Butt" is closer looking to the S-Class' representation than it is the 7-Series' IMO.

The side profile to me looks like a cross between the Accord and 5-Series (which the Accord also copies), but noticeably nicer than the Accords. The rear end and taillights are actually pretty nice.

IMO they seemed to capture the Euro look better than any copy cats have done so far, still not an authentic Euro design representation, but I'd say in a couple more generations they can really get somewhere with it. Too bad it has such a dumb name....

Last edited by K-A; 04-20-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 A180 CDI - automatic
All in all, it's still a Hyundai not a M-B, what more needs said. It may catch the eye of some folks in the US who really can't afford a M-B but want to look like they can.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 S550
Not to be funny, but I would rather own a loaded Honda Accord or Acura TSX or TL for what the Hyundai sells for. I think they are making a BIG mistake by getting away from lower cost efficient vehicles. They should stay in that niche... Reminds me in a way of Toyota coming out with a large money loosing pickup. Do not get greedy and stay with what you are good at.

I think within a few years it will go down as a large error on their part to come out with the Genesis.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Just came across this little doozy, courtesy of Edmunds.com's review of the Genesis::

"The Genesis matches up pretty closely with the Chrysler 300 in terms of wheelbase and overall length, but the Hyundai's exterior styling is less dramatic. If anything, the Genesis resembles a cleaner interpretation of a Benz S-Class"

That's gotta sting
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by softgenious
Not to be funny, but I would rather own a loaded Honda Accord or Acura TSX or TL for what the Hyundai sells for. I think they are making a BIG mistake by getting away from lower cost efficient vehicles. They should stay in that niche... Reminds me in a way of Toyota coming out with a large money loosing pickup. Do not get greedy and stay with what you are good at.

I think within a few years it will go down as a large error on their part to come out with the Genesis.
They already have Kia to take over economic and efficient cars and Kia is also on a roll. Should they stay doing what they're doing at Hyundai? I say no, they're raising bar and that will benefit consumers in general even if you don't own their brand. This will keep other comapanies to be on their toes. Toyota got laughed at by GM before but now GM is on brink of bankruptcy. With launching of Equus in two yrs and different sub brand it'll be interesting to see how they do.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM

BENZO
mercedes and hyundai

my wife currently works for hyundai but before that she worked for daimler. in her time at daimler we had 3 new benzs, 2 e class, o6 and o7, and one ml, o8. during her time at hyundai we have probably traded out of 10 cars so far due to a different tyoe if position.

i can say one thing, I am impressed with hyundai.

I have been a long time mb enthusiast and getting a new one yearly was a great thing. Even worse I always made fun of hyundai when my wife would say they were good looking.

i see a lot of talk in this thread of lower quality in hyundai. let me say this, in the 3 years of owning the benzes they were in the shop a a good deal. I would say in the 35k miles between them we had 3 or 4 extended visits and these were all brand new.

we have not had a single glitch with ANY of the cars we have received from hyundai, well except one blue tooth issue. to me they are amazing cars.

yes the material and some parts of the finish on a car that cost 3 times more is probably better but I guarantee you that if you get in one you will be impressed.

I am currently looking to buy a genesis due to the cost we can get one for as employees, even without our deal i dont think you can beat it.

most of you on this site are snobs as was i while driving my mbs. truth is we and now YOU dont want to believe a hyundai is as good as it is.

drive one before you post anything else.....
Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM

07 S550
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
my wife currently works for hyundai but before that she worked for daimler. in her time at daimler we had 3 new benzs, 2 e class, o6 and o7, and one ml, o8. during her time at hyundai we have probably traded out of 10 cars so far due to a different tyoe if position.

i can say one thing, I am impressed with hyundai.

I have been a long time mb enthusiast and getting a new one yearly was a great thing. Even worse I always made fun of hyundai when my wife would say they were good looking.

i see a lot of talk in this thread of lower quality in hyundai. let me say this, in the 3 years of owning the benzes they were in the shop a a good deal. I would say in the 35k miles between them we had 3 or 4 extended visits and these were all brand new.

we have not had a single glitch with ANY of the cars we have received from hyundai, well except one blue tooth issue. to me they are amazing cars.

yes the material and some parts of the finish on a car that cost 3 times more is probably better but I guarantee you that if you get in one you will be impressed.

I am currently looking to buy a genesis due to the cost we can get one for as employees, even without our deal i dont think you can beat it.

most of you on this site are snobs as was i while driving my mbs. truth is we and now YOU dont want to believe a hyundai is as good as it is.

drive one before you post anything else.....
You are an complete idiot! I looked at the Genesis and consider them way over priced. The Acura TSX is just as nice and much less.

Your post also should be on a Hyundai forum site and not here. Hyundai made decent affordable cars until they got greedy and decided to come up with the Genesis. Big mistake and within 3 years it will come back and bite them in the butt.

Also, saying that most of us on this site are snobs is really a very stupid statement. I a S550, Honda and a Chevy and never have been called a snob. Enjoy your Hyundai's. LOL.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 AM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Thumbs down

You are an complete idiot! I looked at the Genesis and consider them way over priced. The Acura TSX is just as nice and much less.

Your post also should be on a Hyundai forum site and not here. Hyundai made decent affordable cars until they got greedy and decided to come up with the Genesis. Big mistake and within 3 years it will come back and bite them in the butt.

Also, saying that most of us on this site are snobs is really a very stupid statement. I a S550, Honda and a Chevy and never have been called a snob. Enjoy your Hyundai's. LOL.
TSX over genesis haha that's funny. It's like comparing a C-class to a civic. This is coming from a guy who owned an Acura when they were actually decent cars. Genesis is overpriced? Look at fully loaded Acura TL-S($44K) and GS350($50K), and fully loaded C-class($43K). I think these cars are overpriced not genesis. You're really paying high premium for the badge.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by KA8
TSX over genesis haha that's funny. It's like comparing a C-class to a civic. This is coming from a guy who owned an Acura when they were actually decent cars. Genesis is overpriced? Look at fully loaded Acura TL-S($44K) and GS350($50K), and fully loaded C-class($43K). I think these cars are overpriced not genesis. You're really paying high premium for the badge.
You're right. That's ALL it is. My much safer, much more technologically advanced car with a way better driving experience (yes, I've driven a Genesis) car is WAY more overpriced.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
You're right. That's ALL it is. My much safer, much more technologically advanced car with a way better driving experience (yes, I've driven a Genesis) car is WAY more overpriced.
slow down man, he didn't say a word about the S class, he mentioned the acura Tl, the lexus gs 300, and the C class MB. An when comparing those cars to the genesis, I think he has a point, but I can also understand why those other cars cost more.

That said, your $90k S-Class had damn well do everything SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Genesis for about $45k more.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 AM

BENZO
wow

That said, your $90k S-Class had damn well do everything SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Genesis for about $45k more.

my point exactly, for 40k this is an amazing car.

as for the snob comment it was a joke but if you take it to heart then you have bigger issues than the badge on your car.

lastly my comments do belong here becasue I am giving data from a first hand perspective.

I dont think the genesis replaces or competes with a S, CL, or whatever, I was only making a point!!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 AM

07 S550
I still would not pay $40K for a Genesis. It may be a decent car but I can not get over the fact that it is a Hyundai. Everyone should wait a few years before praising that car and see how it stands up issue wise. You can buy a very nice used S550 for in the $50's, why would you pay $40K for a hyundai? Sorry about the idiot comment.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM

BENZO

I still would not pay $40K for a Genesis. It may be a decent car but I can not get over the fact that it is a Hyundai. Everyone should wait a few years before praising that car and see how it stands up issue wise. You can buy a very nice used S550 for in the $50's, why would you pay $40K for a hyundai? Sorry about the idiot comment.
no worry about calling me an idiot I understand your mis directed but passionate rebuttal, it is tough to not lash out against lowly hyundai drivers....

the genesis has pretty good tech for a 40k car. lets look at my 08 ml and not owning a new e i am not sure if it has changed but the electronics were inferior to the genesis. the nav was weak at best and the rest was very basic, I know the s and cl is far far superior but again that is 50k more and the older models you get for 40k are going to have some of the same dated technology.

also most of what I was getting at was quality of the car, yes the materials are not as nice but in my experience i have not seen the issues we had with the benz's thus my small portion of analytic data proves to me the hyundai is pretty well made.

THough if anyone does want to trade a new s550 for a genesis let me know!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
now the question is what if the Genesis was badged as something else? what if Hyundai went to route of Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, or Acura/Honda and created a new mark and had separate dealerships that sold the Genesis not next to a Santa Fe and Elantra would that make it more appealing?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by s600ed
now the question is what if the Genesis was badged as something else? what if Hyundai went to route of Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, or Acura/Honda and created a new mark and had separate dealerships that sold the Genesis not next to a Santa Fe and Elantra would that make it more appealing?
IMO, yes. I'm speaking in general, not just about myself.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 PM

BENZO
great point

Originally Posted by s600ed
my wife and I were talking about just that. i do think the value perception would be different. look at the vw taureg, audi q7 and the porsche cayenne....which one is the best??? of course the porsche but the truth is they are all largely the same vehicle.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
Here is why we pay the extra $40K for the S class...

Dual Pane windows
Active Body Control
Drive Dynamic/Multicontour seats
Distronic plus cruise control
Real time traffic nav *without* a subscription
"Send to Car" -- Download driving directions from Yahoo and Google Maps
Lock and unlock the car via your phone (tele aid)

not to mention all the cool stuff in the 2010 S...

All put together in a package that just works.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM

07 S550
I paid in the $50's not retail. If you look around you can get a killer deal on a like new S550 for only $10-$15K more then a Hyundai Genesis. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM

2006 A180 CDI - automatic
Mercedes vs Hyundai

Never judge a book by its cover or a car by its Name Badge, judging it this way is because it has a diferent emblem on the front ....I used to think Toyota was a joke, I have then since move to the UK and have found out that they are a real decent good car and/or truck......so don't judge a car by its Badge alone
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM

07 S550
Originally Posted by UKA180man
Never judge a book by its cover or a car by its Name Badge, judging it this way is because it has a diferent emblem on the front ....I used to think Toyota was a joke, I have then since move to the UK and have found out that they are a real decent good car and/or truck......so don't judge a car by its Badge alone
Toyota makes a very nice car, I just do not like HYUNDAI... It amazes me that you guys compare a Hyundai to a Mercedes or even a Toyota.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Toyota makes a very nice car, I just do not like HYUNDAI... It amazes me that you guys compare a Hyundai to a Mercedes or even a Toyota.
I would be very comfortable owning a Toyota/Lexus that was high mileage over 100K miles and not under any warranty. I don't feel the same about Mercedes. I would not own a Mercedes that was not covered under warranty.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I would be very comfortable owning a Toyota/Lexus that was high mileage over 100K miles and not under any warranty. I don't feel the same about Mercedes. I would not own a Mercedes that was not covered under warranty.

I kind of have to find it funny that SO many people (not just here, on all Auto Forums, etc.) are seeming to be so passionately angry at the new praise Hyundai are getting.... Dare I say some even seemingly threatened by it, for whatever reasons.

Many Automakers get cheaper in quality and chintzier as time goes on, Hyundai are the most progressing brand right now. I think people should just give them their props and move on.

I do understand with the M-B/BMW thing it may strike a chord as you/we read all these reviews and annoying claims of "actually superior to them, blah blah", but we know Hyundai will probably never hold the charm and status as those brands, so I don't see the hatred for the car. As for the ripping off styling thing, yeah it's a shame, but the Japanese have been doing it forever, and now M-B has even incorporated very distinct formulas and design themes/gimmicks from other makes into their own lines.

Last edited by K-A; 04-27-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by K-A

I kind of have to find it funny that SO many people (not just here, on all Auto Forums, etc.) are seeming to be so passionately angry at the new praise Hyundai are getting.... Dare I say some even seemingly threatened by it, for whatever reasons.

Many Automakers get cheaper in quality and chintzier as time goes on, Hyundai are the most progressing brand right now. I think people should just give them their props and move on.

I do understand with the M-B/BMW thing it may strike a chord as you/we read all these reviews and annoying claims of "actually superior to them, blah blah", but we know Hyundai will probably never hold the charm and status as those brands, so I don't see the hatred for the car. As for the ripping off styling thing, yeah it's a shame, but the Japanese have been doing it forever, and now M-B has even incorporated very distinct formulas and design themes/gimmicks from other makes into their own lines.

Not even talkin about Hyundai? I was talkin about Toyota/Lexus. I only talk about cars I have owned and have experience with owning and driving. You need to read a post before you start BS'ing.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SL2003driver

Not even talkin about Hyundai? I was talkin about Toyota/Lexus. I only talk about cars I have owned and have experience with owning and driving. You need to read a post before you start BS'ing.
You know what means right Sherlock? It means I agree with what you said.

My Hyundai statements were more general ramblings as opposed to directed at any one person.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by K-A
You know what means right Sherlock? It means I agree with what you said.

My Hyundai statements were more general ramblings as opposed to directed at any one person.
Sorry

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade in your S-Class for a Hyundai Genesis?