S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Risk of parking on the street

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by markopolo
Well,
Usually I don't do that (almost never).
It was one of those 2 minutes moment in Manhattan. Quick out for coffee and in to work.
Not this time...

Like Forrest Gump says - ***** happens.
Not a biggie. Not this time.
Funny part comes later. I went to authorized (by Mercedes Benz) body shop, aluminum work, high end spray booths, etc and I've got detailed estimate.

My jaw dropped - over $5,100. For this?
I wonder what my insurance company reaction will be

Ouch!

How often do you guys park on the street and riks it ???
Man! That's the reason I park a mile away (not literally) from where I need to be. Esp. grocery stores, malls and other high traffic areas that get frequented by a fair amount of idiots - some of whom are envious. Yeah, that's true...Even in the TX heat. I literally have nightmares about this sort of thing happening to me.

My wife laughs at me when I park 100 yds. away from the grocery entrance. You know what - 2 months ago she got a pretty good smack on her Lexus when it was parked in one of them premium spots 10 yds. from the mall entrance. You know who was laughing then? Well yeah..... - until I had to pay the deductable

Regardless, NYC is a dump IMO - I used to live in Boston for a few yrs. I literally used to shudder driving through Manhattan, Queens. It's almost like all the degenerates from the entire U.S end up there. Worse still it's like people there drive with some sort of vengence. It's like they WANT to be a$$ holes. Not that that had anything to do with your car but it sure looks like classic NY trash.

I feel for ya man!

Group hug?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
I feel your pain markpolo... I work in NYC and i know what you go through. I actullay have my own parking lot and i thought that would be a safe place to put my cars until i started renting out spaces in the lost and someone hit my C class that i parked in the lot... People just dont give a Sh*t... To be honest that is alot of money for such minor detail i would go with the Lorinser front bumper its pretty slick if u ask me... check it out

http://www.sportservice.lorinser.com...hicles/cl.html
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by PAYRENT23
I feel your pain markpolo... I work in NYC and i know what you go through. I actullay have my own parking lot and i thought that would be a safe place to put my cars until i started renting out spaces in the lost and someone hit my C class that i parked in the lot... People just dont give a Sh*t... To be honest that is alot of money for such minor detail i would go with the Lorinser front bumper its pretty slick if u ask me... check it out

http://www.sportservice.lorinser.com...hicles/cl.html
Not too shabby

Also, didn't know that there was an mbfanatics.org ......

Check out these ghetto-Lorinser pics

Holy cow - check these out! Totally nuts

Last edited by AustinGuy; 07-15-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM

SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Not too shabby

i mean he dosent need the whole entire kit. if anything hes jus going to need the front bumper which i think is the sexiest part of that lorinser CL...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos

Regardless, NYC is a dump IMO - I used to live in Boston for a few yrs. I literally used to shudder driving through Manhattan, Queens. It's almost like all the degenerates from the entire U.S end up there. Worse still it's like people there drive with some sort of vengence. It's like they WANT to be a$$ holes.
couldn't disagree more.

New York is the greatest city in the world. Sure there are rough parts in queens and the bronx, but on average, the city is clean, relatively safe, and extremely vibrant. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay, but we don't like you slow walking, slow talking texans anyway.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM

08 S550, 08 E63
Not too shabby

Wow!!!! Thats all I can say. Don't think I would even park next to them.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by slau2332
Wow!!!! Thats all I can say. Don't think I would even park next to them.
i mean i dnt think the s class is that bad... my boy had those rims on his s63 22'' they fit really nicee and he had the lorinser side skirts for the s class... it was a head turner so i wouldnt really knock it
Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM

08 S550, 08 E63
i mean i dnt think the s class is that bad... my boy had those rims on his s63 22'' they fit really nicee and he had the lorinser side skirts for the s class... it was a head turner so i wouldnt really knock it

I wasn't trying to knock the white Lorinser. I like the kit and rims. I was actually looking into that kit when I got my car.

My comment was to one of the links that Austin had posted (Holy cow - check these out! Totally nuts) I just thought that the rims didn't do the car or kit justice. I would have picked a different set of rims. It just took away from the car. Just my opinion, didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did...
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
Am I not seeing something? If you just take the 22" giovanna chromes off the car pretty much looks decent...a white w221 with the lorinser kit---what's ghetto about that?? At least it wasnt riding on spinners or had chrome headlight trims (now THATS ghetto) and at least the grill was left original besides the paint, as far as the black one, yes thats crap!!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:59 PM

08 S550, 08 E63
Originally Posted by s600ed
Am I not seeing something? If you just take the 22" giovanna chromes off the car pretty much looks decent...a white w221 with the lorinser kit---what's ghetto about that?? At least it wasnt riding on spinners or had chrome headlight trims (now THATS ghetto) and at least the grill was left original besides the paint, as far as the black one, yes thats crap!!
Thats the one I'm talking about, the black one, the rims just takes away from the car hahah

Last edited by slau2332; 07-15-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
you cannot be serious with those rims on the challenger
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
explain
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
how can I put this nicely...ummmmmmm...put stock wheels (in the factory color) back on...please.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM

how can I put this nicely...ummmmmmm...put stock wheels (in the factory color) back on...please.
ahaah to be honest you are the 1st person to not like them... but if your trying to be negative i'll pass that up and just take it as constructive critiscim
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 PM

2013 SL550 Tectite Black
Talking Just an FYI ---

ahaah to be honest you are the 1st person to not like them... but if your trying to be negative i'll pass that up and just take it as constructive critiscim
LOVE THE RIMS on that challenger... They look awesome!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I laughed when I read your post. I agree.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 AM

'09 S63 AMG
couldn't disagree more.

New York is the greatest city in the world. Sure there are rough parts in queens and the bronx, but on average, the city is clean, relatively safe, and extremely vibrant. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay, but we don't like you slow walking, slow talking texans anyway.
Okay, let me rephrase that:

I actually like certain aspects of NYC - for the few hrs. that I'm there......I was referring more to the drivers I suppose....and the rude jerks that you run across from time to time.

And as for your comment about Texans --- uummm you do realize that aside from being the largest state in the U.S., we have 3 of the largest cities and arguably the most vibrant economy in the world. After SF, Austin is the hi tech capital of the U.S with the most educated population of any city....That doesn't come from "walking and talking slow" ...... IN addition, with an almost Mediterranean like climate 1/2 of CA and large numbers of fast walking east coast weirdos have moved to TX. Austin and central TX is one of the most desireable areas to live AND retire in the U.S.

Texas was a country before it became part of the U.S.......and if you think Texans have an attitude, you're right... It's just the right attitude - not so much the smug stuff you see around other affluent parts of the US but more of pride in being Texan.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 07-24-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:30 AM

2021 E450 4Matic
Okay, let me rephrase that:

I actually like certain aspects of NYC - for the few hrs....... It's just the right attitude - not so much the smug stuff you see around other affluent parts of the US but more of pride in being Texan.
FWIW from Massachusetts.

Texas = +
NYC = -
Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Markopolo,

How's the repair coming along?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Markopolo,

How's the repair coming along?
The insurance guy met with me at the body shop last Monday.

He went almost exactly with the body shop estimate minus men-hours. Body shop - $160/h, insurance - $45/h. Total over $4,500
That was expected, so I made an appt. for 3rd. of Aug.
for one week to live in misery
We will see the outcome.
Of course, I'll post the pics. of the repair.

Trumpet, thanks for asking
Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600

He went almost exactly with the body shop estimate minus men-hours. Body shop - $160/h, insurance - $45/h. Total over $4,500
We will see the outcome.

Hopefully we will see great results.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Good luck markopolo. Keep us in the loop
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Vantage = CL ?..."Me say nothing" (I'm biased here) hahaha
You made me laugh )
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.

We will see the outcome.

Ouch. Good luck with the repair. At $4,500, it should approach perfection.

When my wife came home with her new black E-class, she pulled into the garage (side entrance at the end of the driveway) and dragged the whole right side of the car long the edge of the garage door opening, ending up with the car jammed in place on the RR door. I came home to this mess and just stood there - looking at the car and the garage. She came out of the house and started talking, but I don't remember what she said. I looked at her and said, "that's the way the Mercedes Benz," went into the house, and poured myself two fingers of Lagavulin.

Last edited by Jen_Kenne; 08-02-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Gentelmen,
Thank you all for your support

As i promised, I have an update.
So, the car has been fixed. Light replaced and fender changed.
It took the body shop 5 days. In the meanwhile I had to ride a rental Mitsubishi Endeavor 4x4.
Total horror. I almost crushed it first morning. Silly me, sharp turn and force of habit of driving (ABC) CL.

Big question to my member friends:
The car definitely seems to sit higher than before.
I know that, they most likely disconnected the battery or took the fuse out while changing the light.
Something happened and the chassis is raised.
Can I lower the car by myself? (diagnostic mode or something)
Or I have to visit the dealer and let them do it thru Star Diagnostic computer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Risk of parking on the street