S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2010 Headlight Conversion Last Step

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 s600
2010 Headlight Conversion Last Step

Everyone who has replaced or is about to replace their headlights with the new 2010 will get them to work......but...message error "Adaptive Headlights Inoper." will come on. All Intelligent Light Control Functions do not work.

No problem, this is the solution. Establish a communication link with Front SAM and Control Light Modules XALWA left,right. To do this you will need a 2010 Central Gateway Module which is located on the bottom of the steering column. I have this , and rent it out if anyone is interested. The other option is to find a 2010 donor car and remove it and place it on yours.

Everything is basically easy. Just replace all the parts with the 2010 and up. 2010 headlights with three modules, 2010 front SAM, and that wiring harness from mastertuning, or sonicms.

Here comes the tricky part. You must leave your side marker lights that came with your car intact. If you remove the bulbs, the IC will say error "side marker lamp,left,right" So just leave them tucked in the new bumper and put some black tape around the bulbs. The car will not notice them missing. The new headlights will flash the turn signal led strip, and so will these. Old system and new working together, no big deal.

The most challenging part is to program the XALWA left,right modules for the headlights to recognize the Intelligent Light Control Functions. If you do not program these, your IC will say "Adaptive Lights Inoperative, Visit Workshop" error message. To do this you will have to replace the Central Gateway Module located on the bottom of the steering column. You will have to remove the Gateway from your car, install a Gateway from a 2010 S-Class.
You will then see all sorts of error messages on the dash, do not worry. Just do coding via SCN. Perform 'Initial Startup' for the XALWA modules, not for the Gateway. The 2010 Gateway will communicate with the 2010 front SAM. Your Gateway is coded for the 2007-2009 modules, it will not establish link with SAM.
Then put back your original Gateway, delete fault memory of all the modules.
Now you are done.

You will need someone with STAR coding, (some merc techs have DAS laptops and do outside side work) .Dealers will never attempt anything like this. especially removing a Gateway from a 2010 car and installing it on yours.
So there you have it. This crazy retrofit project solved.
Good luck everyone.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S350
Originally Posted by greekviking
Everyone who has replaced or is about to replace their headlights with the new 2010 will get them to work......but...message error "Adaptive Headlights Inoper." will come on. All Intelligent Light Control Functions do not work.

No problem, this is the solution. Establish a communication link with Front SAM and Control Light Modules XALWA left,right. To do this you will need a 2010 Central Gateway Module which is located on the bottom of the steering column. I have this , and rent it out if anyone is interested. The other option is to find a 2010 donor car and remove it and place it on yours.

Everything is basically easy. Just replace all the parts with the 2010 and up. 2010 headlights with three modules, 2010 front SAM, and that wiring harness from mastertuning, or sonicms.

Here comes the tricky part. You must leave your side marker lights that came with your car intact. If you remove the bulbs, the IC will say error "side marker lamp,left,right" So just leave them tucked in the new bumper and put some black tape around the bulbs. The car will not notice them missing. The new headlights will flash the turn signal led strip, and so will these. Old system and new working together, no big deal.

The most challenging part is to program the XALWA left,right modules for the headlights to recognize the Intelligent Light Control Functions. If you do not program these, your IC will say "Adaptive Lights Inoperative, Visit Workshop" error message. To do this you will have to replace the Central Gateway Module located on the bottom of the steering column. You will have to remove the Gateway from your car, install a Gateway from a 2010 S-Class.
You will then see all sorts of error messages on the dash, do not worry. Just do coding via SCN. Perform 'Initial Startup' for the XALWA modules, not for the Gateway. The 2010 Gateway will communicate with the 2010 front SAM. Your Gateway is coded for the 2007-2009 modules, it will not establish link with SAM.
Now you are done.

You will need someone with STAR coding, (some merc techs have DAS laptops and do outside side work) .Dealers will never attempt anything like this. especially removing a Gateway from a 2010 car and installing it on yours.
Good luck everyone.
So you claim all ILS function will work with this gateway swap method? No ILS interface needed?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 AM

2007 s600
Only if you want static cornering light to work, and a few other options.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM

W221 S350
Only if you want static cornering light to work, and a few other options.
A few other options? What do you mean? There're 5 functions as far as I remember:

1. motorway mode
2. country mode
3. enhanced fog lamps
4. active light
5. cornering light

Which are working for you and what's the static cornering light?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM

2007 s600
Yes, the cornering light does not seem to work. Everything else is a go.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM

2007 s600
This is the Central Gateway from a 2011 S-Class.
The missing link between the 2010+ headlights and the Front SAM.
Once a communication is established between these two, you initialize front headlight modules, and its history. Intelligent Lights respond , all errors are gone.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Headlight Conversion Last Step-dsc02820.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 PM

2007 s600
If anyone is interested, I rent it out. You only need someone with Star DAS, to program the headlamp modules.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 AM

s550
If anyone is interested, I rent it out. You only need someone with Star DAS, to program the headlamp modules.

where u located greekviking i want to rent it out i live in cali...
Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
W222
CGW

Any news about this?

I also do not believe this trick will solve the ILS problem. But maybe using a 2011 CGW coded as 2011, but with car's VIN, can become a good solution!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM

MB S550

Now you are done.

Good luck everyone.
today I tried this method... didn't work for me and I still don't have ILS functions... I will try coding them manualy using developer mode
Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 AM

2007 Mercedes S320
Originally Posted by james510
today I tried this method... didn't work for me and I still don't have ILS functions... I will try coding them manualy using developer mode
How did you get on with this?

I got someone with developer mode to try and he could not establish the link between the front sam and xenon modules.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 AM

2007 s600
you need to swap this module

This is the Central Gateway from a 2011 S-Class.
The missing link between the 2010+ headlights and the Front SAM.
Once a communication is established between these two, you initialize front headlight modules, and its history. Intelligent Lights respond , all errors are gone.
you will need a 2010+ central gateway module which is located to the left of the bottom of the steering wheel. Change it with yours and you will be able to talk to both front xenon modules. Once programmed, change back to your central gateway module. Easy.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 AM

2007 Mercedes S320
you will need a 2010+ central gateway module which is located to the left of the bottom of the steering wheel. Change it with yours and you will be able to talk to both front xenon modules. Once programmed, change back to your central gateway module. Easy.
I dont have a CGW module 2010+.

I could buy one from MB but would that unit have to be programmed seperately to 2010 spec or is that ready to go and follow your instructions with? May be I can get a used CGW module from a 2010 model which is breaking for spares and try that as another option.

But you're right, the L+R xenon modules are not coded and accessing them is impossible.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM

2011 s63 amg
i need to rent it
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
And all this trouble you dont have with the cable kit.. Awesome kit.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM

2011 s63 amg
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
i dont need the kit u got to much problems.my signel lights dont work with ur kit
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 PM

s550
Originally Posted by azizblue
i dont need the kit u got to much problems.my signel lights dont work with ur kit
how come they dont work?? is the kit bad?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 Mercedes S 430(GONE), 2001 E320(GONE), 2007 S550(GONE), 2009 BMW X6(GONE), 2014 S550
THIS^^^^^

Originally Posted by azizblue
What kit do you have??

Originally Posted by gzus
I think he talks about reprogramimg SAM etc way of doing headlights. The kit that you have/will have is completely different method. The reason people have problems when the go "SAM"-way is bc you altering the specs of you car itself in order for you car to recognize different headlights. Whereas with the "Plug-and-Play" kit your cars SAM etc are still "STOCK" and unchanged.
I see it like this:
SAM-WAY ------is like learning foreign language for 2 months and then go to foreign country for a business meeting
PLUG-and-PLAY ------ is like having a translator with you
Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Never heard of a problem with the kit?? You must have somethinf not programmed corect then.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM

2011 s63 amg
Originally Posted by gzus
The kit is nice and easy but I had issues like signal lights wene ever I need to make turn it shows me that it works inside the car but really out side the car never work it crazy .and some times it works it .the best part is to get the original way with new front Sam .and now the dealers do the programs and everything works good
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM

2011 s63 amg
Never heard of a problem with the kit?? You must have somethinf not programmed corect then.
Its exactly the same kit u sell .and if any body want it for free I will give it for him no charge plus free shipping if anyone need to make a try .i was going to throw it away really
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM

2011 s63 amg
Originally Posted by Arlen777
THIS^^^^^

What kit do you have??

I think he talks about reprogramimg SAM etc way of doing headlights. The kit that you have/will have is completely different method. The reason people have problems when the go "SAM"-way is bc you altering the specs of you car itself in order for you car to recognize different headlights. Whereas with the "Plug-and-Play" kit your cars SAM etc are still "STOCK" and unchanged.
I see it like this:
SAM-WAY ------is like learning foreign language for 2 months and then go to foreign country for a business meeting
PLUG-and-PLAY ------ is like having a translator with you
This is correct everything stays factory .my kit same as yours works 100%.but sometime the signal lights stop working I bring it to the shop were he instaled it he say something wrong with this kit .then I got the other kit with new Sam it work good no problems with signal lights .and then I went to dealer to program one of the tech new what's up and he programmed it
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Then there simply is something wrong with the black box on the kit.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 AM

2007 s550
Hi Chris I read A whole bunch of your posts about the kit for the facelift headlights and i found a guy on ebay who custom makes the wires for 650 dollars, this is the first i hear you mention the "black box?" what are you reffering to
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
The black box on my cable kit is what do all the magic and makes it all work with no errors and the reason you dont need a new SAM.

Last edited by Chris The Swede; 04-23-2013 at 05:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Headlight Conversion Last Step