MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221-74/)
-   -   Comfort and Sport mode (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/435786-comfort-sport-mode.html)

mistertonyn 02-19-2012 09:25 PM

Comfort and Sport mode

Can you guys really tell the difference between the two modes?
It must be so slight...because I can not really feel it.

lylesr33 02-19-2012 10:03 PM

Yes I can tell a difference in the shift points (seem to be quicker in sport mode) and the car starts in a lower gear in sport vs comfort.

phatisfy 02-19-2012 10:17 PM

the rear end of the car rises higher in comfort mode. if you're outside,press one of the mode and you'll see the difference in C/S mode.

mistertonyn 02-19-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by lylesr33 (Post 5062540)
Yes I can tell a difference in the shift points (seem to be quicker in sport mode) and the car starts in a lower gear in sport vs comfort.

Good point...I was concentrating on more of the suspension and not the shift points.. Thanks..I will pay more attention to that and just leave it in the sport mode :D I like speeding away.

mistertonyn 02-19-2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by phatisfy (Post 5062555)
the rear end of the car rises higher in comfort mode. if you're outside,press one of the mode and you'll see the difference in C/S mode.

And the front end remain at the same height in either modes?

lei996tt 02-20-2012 01:04 AM

The fronts go up as well. At least mine does.

yvnrg1981 02-23-2012 05:05 PM

Yes the car lowers it self by some amount of mm. Also the shocks respond quicker and the car doesn't float.

ima55r2 02-23-2012 05:31 PM

Isn't the main difference is starting off in first or second gear?

mistertonyn 02-23-2012 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ima55r2 (Post 5069720)
Isn't the main difference is starting off in first or second gear?

According to other member...it does starts off in different gear when in sport mode.

starstylers01 02-25-2012 03:30 PM

the ride is a lot stiffer in sport mode. the steering becomes more responsive. you have a lot more power available to you. I can def feel the difference when between the two

mistertonyn 02-25-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by lylesr33 (Post 5062540)

Just tested the sport mode this morning....it does seems like it launches quicker in this mode. It will stay in this mode from now on :)....unless I am on the freeway on a long trip.

rene_gts 02-26-2012 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by mistertonyn (Post 5072926)
Just tested the sport mode this morning....it does seems like it launches quicker in this mode. It will stay in this mode from now on :)....unless I am on the freeway on a long trip.

Why would you switch to comfort while driving on the freeway? Comfort is actually meant to be driven in the city and sport + sport suspension is for freeway. All that is told in the manual too.

Acceleration and gear changes are much faster in sport mode.
Sport suspension is much more stiffer, so your car isn't so "bouncy". Trust me, you don't want your going up and down during high speeds.

Now think about it, when your about to overtake another car, then I assume you want to do it as fast and as safe as possible, that why you would use the sport mode, because if you put your foot down in comfort mode, the car doesn't do anything for a second or so and then starts accelerating. In sport, the acceleration is instant.

"You should only change the program mode when the automatic transmission is in park position P.
The last selected automatic program mode (C or S) is active when the engine is restarted.
Press the program mode selector switch repeatedly until the letter of the desired program mode appears in the multifunction display.

Selecting program mode C means:
The vehicle starts out more gentle, both forward and reverse, except when driving off with full throttle.
Traction and driving stability are improved on icy roads.
Upshifts occur earlier even when you give more gas. The engine then operates at lower revolutions and the wheels are less likely to spin.
Selecting program mode S means that upshifts occur later."

mistertonyn 02-26-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by renepello (Post 5073661)
Why would you switch to comfort while driving on the freeway? Comfort is actually meant to be driven in the city and sport + sport suspension is for freeway. All that is told in the manual too.

Sport suspension is much more stiffer, so your car isn't so "bouncy". Trust me, you don't want your going up and down during high speeds.

Now think about it, when your about to overtake another car, then I assume you want to do it as fast and as safe as possible, that why you would use the sport mode, because if you put your foot down in comfort mode, the car doesn't do anything for a second or so and then starts accelerating. In sport, the acceleration is instant.

"You should only change the program mode when the automatic transmission is in park position P.
The last selected automatic program mode (C or S) is active when the engine is restarted.
Press the program mode selector switch repeatedly until the letter of the desired program mode appears in the multifunction display.

The vehicle starts out more gentle, both forward and reverse, except when driving off with full throttle.
Upshifts occur earlier even when you give more gas. The engine then operates at lower revolutions and the wheels are less likely to spin.

I did not know that you should be in P, when switching the modes. Thanks. and I will try to read up more in the manual on this.

malahhaor 02-28-2012 11:43 AM

yeah, i dont think putting the car in P to switch to S mode when entering the freeway is a good idea....

To answer the original question, as everyone has mentioned the response and shift points as well as the ride being softer in C. Not as noticeable in cold weather but in summer big difference on the ride quality.

Although i liked it in W220 better where trans and suspension can be set independed of each other.

derrick_lui 02-28-2012 12:10 PM

I feel the difference in the 2012 between S and E mode...they really mean it when they say blue efficiency

desant89 04-01-2012 03:01 PM

Wow, shocked at some of the comments. I bought an S class for comfort. I notice an extreme difference in ride comfort when it is in C mode. Mine is in C mode all of the time. I have used S just for a change once in a while, and it is much more aggressive for sure, and handles better but also rides much rougher. To me this is a comfort machine. Just my opinion on how different the two modes are.

malahhaor 04-01-2012 08:47 PM

I would think the c on highway would be fine as well, since the car auto lowers in c at speeds as well.

RA032924 04-02-2012 11:35 AM

Like the others here, I too notice a distinct difference in my 2007 S550. C(omfort) mode is a bit lumbering and cushy, but comfortable and smooth, S(port) mode, by contrast, is solid and stable, though still comfortable. I rarely use S mode, but find that if I am on the highway, heading into a steep curve, I will active the switchover. I do not, however, wait for the car to be at a stop or off, to switch the modes. I hope this doesn't ruin something over time.

HadiLaw 04-02-2012 12:51 PM

Coming from a highly modded E55, the S550 is very smooth. However, it seem a bit too smooth and sometimes bouncy. Is that normal? All the struts have been replaced recently. I haven't driven it in sports mode, as I have no intention of going fast for quite some time.

rene_gts 04-03-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by HadiLaw (Post 5130208)
Coming from a highly modded E55, the S550 is very smooth. However, it seem a bit too smooth and sometimes bouncy. Is that normal? All the struts have been replaced recently. I haven't driven it in sports mode, as I have no intention of going fast for quite some time.

Have you tried activating airmatic sport suspension? That should definitely make the ride less bouncy.

HadiLaw 04-03-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by renepello (Post 5131629)
Have you tried activating airmatic sport suspension? That should definitely make the ride less bouncy.

i tried that yesterday and today on the freeway, and it did make a huge difference. the vehicle doesn't rock around anymore, and is very comfortable on the freeway. It's not the same sport feeling as my previous E55. I think the best advise was to drive in S mode on the freeway, and in C mode in the city.

Quadcammer 04-03-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by renepello (Post 5073661)

oh for gods sake. you act like this thing is dangerous on the highway in comfort mode. Its not even close. Is it a bit more bouncy, of course, but most people aren't doing 125mph around sweepers on the way to work. If you want to drive aggressively, use the bloody sport mode, if you are driving normally, comfort is fine.

Originally Posted by mistertonyn (Post 5073748)
I did not know that you should be in P, when switching the modes. Thanks. and I will try to read up more in the manual on this.

You shouldn't. Its MB's attorneys writing the manual on the absolutely miniscule chance that this change from c>s will result in loss of vehicle control. Its bull****.

Switch it whenever the hell you want.

desant89 04-03-2012 10:17 AM

+1

I know I am in the states so I cannot drive 130MPH, but drive a few other cars, and let me know they they feel at speeds compared to our cars in C mode. The car does compensate at speeds in C mode too. If C mode is not good enough for normal highway driving, you need to buy a Porsche or something.

gregsonben 04-30-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 5131700)
You shouldn't. Its MB's attorneys writing the manual on the absolutely miniscule chance that this change from c>s will result in loss of vehicle control. Its bull****.

Switch it whenever the hell you want.

I came here looking for more info on this. I had been using S (without stopping and shifting into P) when I "need" it until I saw that part in the manual.

androidpi 04-30-2013 02:17 PM

In S mode car starts in first gear and in c mode it starts in 2nd gear. As mentioned above the gear change stages differ between the two modes