S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

(Off Topic:) Fun With Nigerian Scammers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
(Off Topic:) Fun With Nigerian Scammers

I take great pleasure in dealing with internet scammers. I like to play along as the perfect victim to set the hook, then I become a bigger and bigger pain in the a$$ until they finally crack and start with the threats against "me" and my "family", at which point they realize I've been messing with them the entire time. My goal is to keep them occupied as long as possible.

The trick to this reverse scam is to give them a fake identity right from the get go. In the 2nd email, when the scammer asks for my phone number and photo ID...that's to be used later when things turn ugly and they go to intimidation to get what they want.

For this scammer, I created the fake identity "Michael St. Claire". The phone number I provided as my own is actually the number to the local FBI field office. (they won't call to verify it. They'll only call later when they start threatening.) I photoshopped the license from a Google image search for a sample FL DL. I picked an image of an elderly person because they're often vicitimzed.

We're still early in the process. Now that they have "me", I'll be handed off to a more senior scammer to start the actual ruse, where they'll convince the victim that in order for them to receive the multi million dollar inheritance, they first need to pay various customs and processing fees upfront.

Initially the fees are small, but once the scammer has enough of the victim's money committed, the demands are raised significantly. The victim fears losing everything they've put up so far and keeps digging a hole.

1st Email:
Dear Madam,

My name is Stephanie Brown ; I work with the Royal House Services, a consulting Firm in London, UK. We are conducting a standard process investigation involving a client who shares the same name with you and also the circumstances surrounding investments made by this client at HSBC Bank Plc.

The HSBC Private Banking client died intestate and nominated no next of kin to inherit the title over the investments made with HSBC Bank Plc. The essence of this communication with you is to request that you provide us information on three issues:

1-Are you aware of any relative/relation having the same surname, whose last known contact address was Madrid, Spain?

2-Are you aware of any investment of considerable value made by such a person at the HSBC Bank Plc.?

3-Can you establish beyond reasonable doubt your eligibility to assume status of next of kin to the deceased?

It is pertinent that you inform us ASAP whether or not you are familiar with this personality as your address was listed in one of his communications to us so that we may put an end to this communication with you and our inquiries surrounding this personality.

You must appreciate that we are constrained from providing you with more detailed information at this point. PLEASE RESPOND BACK TO ME as soon as possible to afford us the opportunity to close this investigation.

Thank you for accommodating our inquiry.

Yours sincerely,
Mrs. Stephanie Brown
Royal House Services
For: HSBC Private Clients.
This is a confidential message from Royal House Services

Hello Stephanie and thank you for your email. I do not have a relative in Spain that I'm aware of, however my father's cousin, David St.Claire, lived in Portugal for some period of time. I was not aware he was deceased although he would now be in his seventies. To my knowledge he never married or fathered children. My father passed away several years ago and communication with that side of the family was lost. If David was in fact your client then I believe I would be the only surviving next of kin.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter.

Best regards,
Michael St. Claire

Mrs. Stephanie Brown
Royal House Services
For: HSBC Private Clients.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your quick response to our email. Your details was noted. While we acknowledge that the deceased does not have the first name David, we will admit that he shares the same surname with you as mentioned in your email. Our contacting you is due to our extensive search to Locate the next of Kin To Mr Jeffrey St. Claire who passed out in 2000 leaving the sum of USD11.5M(Eleven Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) unclaimed with HSBC Bank here in the United Kingdom. We have tried since 2000 to locate the next of kin but without success, we are very happy to have found you at last.

If we do not present any next of kin to claim the above mentioned deposit, the account will be closed and the Money returned back to the British Treasury as unclaimed, we are very happy to get your response and all machinery will be put in place for the successful transfer of the above mentioned inheritance to you as the next of kin.

However, we will appreciate that you forward us a copy of your identification and your telephone and fax numbers, further details regarding the handover of the Inheritance will be relayed to you once we receive the above mentioned.

Thank You Once again.

Dear Stephanie,
My word! Sorry for the delay in responding. I needed to speak with my mother regarding Jeffery and she believes that around 2000 a relative of my father did in fact pass away suddenly. She said the family knew him as "Jon" which possibly was his middle name.

In any event here is the information you requested. Unfortunately we do not have a fax machine. My phone number is (904) 721-1211. I've attached a copy of my DL. Please contact me as soon as possible and advise how we should proceed.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
Lmao...you certainly have lots of time to kill on your hands. Its funny how people fall for these things to be honest. I find it really appalling. I, myself, have received such email once or twice. I just laugh given I am of Nigerian descent.

But how do you know its a Nigerian scam? Russians are known to run the same scam on a larger scale in all honesty but of course light is always shone on the ever so glorious Nigerians.
And am not asking cause am of Nigerian background

Please let us know how this plays out...
Old 06-06-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Omg I love this ..
Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL

What a scenario and sense of imagination
You gotta post this in Off Topic Forums as well
Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I should point out that this particular scam is known as the "Nigerian" by law enforcement although it can of course be perpetrated by people of any national origin.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The lastest.

Hello Mike,

Your mail was received and the details are noted. Like i explained before, we are doing everything possible to verify, investigate and approve the fund transfer to you. We will get back to you on Monday the 9th of June 2014 and inform you if the transfer was approved or declined.

Thank you for your assistance so far and confirm the receipt of this mail.

Regards,

Stephanie Brown

9:18 AM (0 minutes ago)

Dear Stephanie

Fingers crossed! This would truly be a blessing. I just recently received a substantial workman's compensation settlement that I planned on using for my retirement and possibly some travel but nothing like the amounts you mentioned. That extra money would be of great use to our church. We have missions each year to South America where we install vending machines for disadvantaged youth and train the local villagers to breed purebred kittens for cat fashion runway work. Many of these children have never had a carbonated beverage from a coin operated device!

Yours in Christ,
Michael St. Claire
Old 06-07-2014, 07:51 PM

07 S550
This is hilarious. Keep it going.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Hahaha let dem swet , those scammers !!Already fantastic that you do this.Is there any way you could play them into their deserved arrest and conviction ?

Last edited by marthyh; 06-07-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
LOL, Subscribed
Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
OMG !!!

"where we install vending machines for disadvantaged youth and train the local villagers to breed purebred kittens for cat fashion runway work. Many of these children have never had a carbonated beverage from a coin operated device! "
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
This morning:

Dear sir,

Good Morning. We wish to congratulate you regarding our lawyers success in obtaining an oath without will at the high court regarding your inheritance as the next of kin to Mr Jeffrey. Please find attached a copy of the document which states that the total amount of USD11.5M equivalent in British pounds have been approved in your favor.

We are still awaiting confirmation from HSBC Bank after which we will notify you accordingly.

Congratulations.

Dearest Ms. Stephanie

What glorious, glorious news! We had a delightful church brunch social this weekend where I shared a bit of information with the congregation. (Edna said I "overshared". Can you say "Mimosas"! Ha ha ha!) Any-who, Pastor Fletcher, who is a real pip himself BTW, said our good fortune was probably the result of the many prayers Edna received last month when she was in the hospital with a badly inflamed *******.

Now, is there anything legal-wise we need to do on our end? Do we need an attorney or CPA to help with the transfer of funds or is that something you folks handle? Please let me know, and again, thank you!

In Jesus' Name
Michael St. Claire
Attached Thumbnails (Off Topic:) Fun With Nigerian Scammers-oat-without-will.jpg  

Last edited by Mike5215; 06-09-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
That's great Mike! Are you familiar with the work of Derek Trotter? Check out the following story for some pretty interesting photos demonstrating how he scammed the scammers

http://www.419eater.com/html/john_boko.htm

One word of advice though as you never know who is on the other end. Use an IP Anonymizer service when you play around with these people. Even when you use Gmail or whatever to e-mail someone, if they know what they are doing, they can actually examine the SMTP header of the e-mail as that has your IP address embedded in it. You can mitigate this rise by using a public WIFI hotspot but I personally would not do this with my home IP address unless I am using an IP anonymizer service.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Dear Michael,

Your email was received. Anyways please find attached final information from the HSBC Regarding the fund transfer. You can contact your fund manager Mr Jonathan Smith of HSBC on telephone number +44 7937456568.

Congratulations Once Again.

Regards,

Stephanie Brown

[/I][/B]

[B][I]

Attached Thumbnails (Off Topic:) Fun With Nigerian Scammers-michael-1.jpg   (Off Topic:) Fun With Nigerian Scammers-okay.jpg   (Off Topic:) Fun With Nigerian Scammers-michael-2.jpg  

Last edited by Mike5215; 06-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 AM

2015 Brabus G63
Wow, always shocks me how far these scammers will go.. and that people fall for it
Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
So, where did they ask for fee's from you, etc?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM

2015 Brabus G63
If you look at the 3rd to last page that he attached, they ask for a fee of 2900 pounds
Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Wow, that's around $5,000 US.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM

C300 Luxary
BAHAHAHAHA! this will be my entertainment till the end!