S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Anyone ever changed their ambient lighting on their 221?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S600 (W221)
this is pretty nice, Love to know where to get the OEM multi-color leds for my 07 W221 that will work with command.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Those OEM parts to do that would end up costing thousands.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430 4matic, 2014 Audi A4
Originally Posted by Jason B
Those OEM parts to do that would end up costing thousands.
You're very negative...
Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Well as the thread indicates, you'd need to build a polarity reversing circuit so technically Jason is being very positive.
The following users liked this post:
dlafever (01-05-2017)
Old 11-12-2016, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes w212 Cl63
Hello

Originally Posted by mbmoding
On my 2010 S550, it supposed to have 3 colors but really only 2 noticeable difference. I checked what lights up the plastic bars and there are 2 tiny leds, one is blue and the other is kind of amber. It's one color or the other or mixed. I didn't really like the color so I added my own leds and now my new colors are red, blue, and purple. The colors are much cleaner and brighter than stock. The comand operates and dims the new lights. I have also added a module to further the color options and use. I can do any color choices and have it also do patterns and go with the music if wanted. The big thing is now I can choose a much better color option. In fact the choices are far better than the new S class with limited color range.

hello What led strips did you use ? Do you have a photo of iT ?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
i wonder how to do this for w212 , if i buy a LED strip and try fitting it in there or jsut see if i could replace the LED bulbs... interesting , i like final results. looks bright and clean
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/acces...rtNo:BQ6880059

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 S212
Fairly new member, just saw the thread in the update report. Most impressive. More importantly for me though, most encouraging. Got a new to me (my wife actually) 2012 S550 4M. Love polar ambient option but the rear passenger side only lights up the other colors. Was going to be one of those "oh well..." issues but seems to be easy enough to address. Since you are familiar, and provided you (or anyone else) are inclined to answer, I would be most appreciative of input on how to crack open the door panel and what / how to replace so I can get the polar working on this door again.

Great many thanks. And a truly awesome mod.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
01 ML55 / 97 E320/01 CLK55/ 2010 S550
Originally Posted by ClasseMiaMadra
Fairly new member, just saw the thread in the update report. Most impressive. More importantly for me though, most encouraging. Got a new to me (my wife actually) 2012 S550 4M. Love polar ambient option but the rear passenger side only lights up the other colors. Was going to be one of those "oh well..." issues but seems to be easy enough to address. Since you are familiar, and provided you (or anyone else) are inclined to answer, I would be most appreciative of input on how to crack open the door panel and what / how to replace so I can get the polar working on this door again.

Great many thanks. And a truly awesome mod.
Door removal is very easy, look in the arm rest area. Below is a torx screw and inside the armrest cover you have to pop off the hidden velvet plastic cover and there is a screw there too. The dual color led soldered on the strip you simply replace. I saved all of mine somewhere.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
14 & 07 S550, 15 S8, 14 750i, 04 GS 430
On the doors the factory uses one set of leds or led depending on the year towards the front of the car at the end of the wood panel. On the dash part if I remember correctly there is 3 of them. If your car does only one color and you only want one color of your choice, you could simply attach the power for the led to the power wire of the factory led on each door. What I did since I have a 3 color option I used RGB led strips. As easy as it may sound, there is a lot of trimming to do where the clear part where the factory led emits through sits on. It's the black part that holds the clear strip. The RGB strip does not curve the way you want to where the radio is and you need to cut the strip and attach wires to make that bend to make the connection. On some of the areas of the bend, I only cut two of the contacts and bend the strip and the gap areas I added solder to fit in between the gaps. Kinda hard to picture until you actually do the job. Because the led strip light is so strong, I had to diffuse the light so I added a strip of white vinyl and it did the job. I had taken some pics but they are not detailed for explanation as I did not expect to do it again or expected anyone to do this themselves because it's very tedious. I was planning to make kits for these cars so what I did was pretty much a prototype but when and if the time comes, I would have a much better and easier way for the do it yourselfer install it themself. Removing the door panels is easy as well as the dash wood trim. Literally the wood dash I can remove in less than one minute, there is only 3 screws and 3 panels to pop off. If you can accomplish all that and know how to trim parts with a dremel, then you are ready for the next task. The trick is on the power connection of the ambient lighting, it uses one common and two positive. Common RGB strips use one positive and 3 negatives. This is where you have to build a circuit. You can choose 2 out of the three you want to use for the 221 models that have 3 color choices and mix the two color choices for neutral so I choosed red for solar, blue for polar, and the neutral comes out a nice violet color. Now I went the extra mile and added a controler that is operated through wifi and can use RF controller as well so I got all three colors and now the color is infinite plus I have it move to the beat of the music. I didn't know what to expect when I got done but when I finished the task, the colors are just amazing. In fact more amazing than the new 2015 S because you have the green light. On the new S, you don't have green to mix, plus you don't have it flash to the music. Not for driving use of course, it's very distracting. For show, it's awesome! I am currently seeking smaller 0404 RGB chips and trying to get someone to manufacture them for me as this will give a more solid look without having to difuse the light from looking spotty. If you plan to do the RGB setup, you don't need to use the factory led wires. If you plan to do both operation of the comand for three colors and do the RGB through controller, you need to build a circuit to isolate the RGB controller to do the rest of the colors. I am working on another project which I will post soon that many would be interested in as well.

I know this is an old thread and I am new here. This is actually my first post/reply. I am looking to add the Led strips to my 07 S550. It has 1 color led with 2 wires (red and black). Could I just attach 1 color led strips directly on the existing wiring? Will the existing power supply for one led handle the new led strips? Would I need resistors? I really don't want to cause a short circuit and mess up the electronics. Is it as simple as unplugging the wire going into the existing 1 led, and connect it to the new led strips with multiple bulbs?

Also, removing the wood trim on the dash seem pretty straingt forward, but how about the door? Does the interior of the door need to be removed in order to remove the wood trim? Do you or anyone here have a write up on the door wood trim removal? I really wished you had the time to do an entire write up of your work. But ofcourse you must be busy. If I actually follow thru and get this done, I will do a step by step write up of the entire process. So any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 PM

I know this is an old thread and I am new here. This is actually my first post/reply. I am looking to add the Led strips to my 07 S550. It has 1 color led with 2 wires (red and black). Could I just attach 1 color led strips directly on the existing wiring? Will the existing power supply for one led handle the new led strips? Would I need resistors? I really don't want to cause a short circuit and mess up the electronics. Is it as simple as unplugging the wire going into the existing 1 led, and connect it to the new led strips with multiple bulbs?

Also, removing the wood trim on the dash seem pretty straingt forward, but how about the door? Does the interior of the door need to be removed in order to remove the wood trim? Do you or anyone here have a write up on the door wood trim removal? I really wished you had the time to do an entire write up of your work. But ofcourse you must be busy. If I actually follow thru and get this done, I will do a step by step write up of the entire process. So any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Would be cool if there was a ready made kit avail to do this that was already done, cut, measured, etc. This isn't an easy job.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Amdnyc01

Thanks.

Could someone one please help me with my questions? I would really like to tackle this project. And hopefully if everything goes well, try to make a kit for anyone who is interested. I will provide all info from start to finish. I am not trying to sell any kits that I make, but only share the procedure with those who are interested.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:31 AM

Would be cool if there was a ready made kit avail to do this that was already done, cut, measured, etc. This isn't an easy job.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Once I complete mine, I will make kits for those who are interested. Or I will provide links, measurements and step by step video instructions. I am not trying to make any money from anyone here. I just want to share my experiences with you all. I just wished someone would have answered my questions on the above post regarding the power supply. I totally understand this won't be an easy job, but I would like to give it a shot. I'm sure with all of your help, I can get it done.
The following users liked this post:
Gramma_Benz (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Amdnyc01
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Once I complete mine, I will make kits for those who are interested. Or I will provide links, measurements and step by step video instructions. I am not trying to make any money from anyone here. I just want to share my experiences with you all. I just wished someone would have answered my questions on the above post regarding the power supply. I totally understand this won't be an easy job, but I would like to give it a shot. I'm sure with all of your help, I can get it done.
See post # 25. I think all info is in this thread on how he did it?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:39 PM

See post # 25. I think all info is in this thread on how he did it?

My set up is going to be a bit less complicated as his. I am trying to just start with one color so I didn't have to worry about building the circuit board. Also my car has only 1 led color set up oppose to his with 3. So I just wanted to know about connecting it straight to the existing power.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
bumping this up... i took all my trim off to get the wood painted and wanted to upgrade the LEDS since they suck and are so dim.. i bought a 5m roll and wanted to ask if i can solder them to the car wiring directly with out any controller or whatever.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm willing to bet someone makes a kit to do this to any car sooner than later. All newer high end vehicles are doing this now and I bet someone makes a kit down the road with super thin leds to do your whole car. It's the future and if it's the future, the aftermarket will make an easier way to do this,
Old 05-15-2018, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
i am wiling to do some custom work, i dont mind solder or whatever. My only concern is the connectors and i can open those up too and solder the wires onto the led strip but only confusion here is that the stock led ribbon has 3 wires and the leds have 3 as well plus the 12V

are the door panels power fed by the power of the main front trim dash trim? does anyone know that, because if that's the case than i can add power to the front dash strip but not sure how you'd do that to the door panels since there is only 3 wires.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM

Sorry everyone who has been trying to message me about this installation. I haven't found the time to get online to check anything regarding to my forum messages. It's just me, I work long hours and I do a lot of custom led work so it has been keeping me away from the online society. Well I finally broke way to see if anyone was able to step in and help out. I am going to be redoing my light strips as there is a newer product I have been wanting to try. There will be no hot spots and have a much even glow so they are non directional. However for your basic RGB lighting, you only need to buy a 5 meter strip and an RGB controller. Now those who have a 2010 and up model with the command with 3 settings, I posted the diagram on how to make it yourself. Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to build boards or make kits but if you got the time, you can do it yourself if you're comfortable doing so. You would want to make quick disconnects on each door panel and at the end of each of the woodgrain dash panel. I wouldn't recommend to use the power of the wires that power the factory leds as the power consumption that is controlled by the computer can be damaged. This is why I made the circuit to power the strips. I used power transistors, basically a solid state relay in theory. I doubt you will find anyone making a true universal kit as all lengths have to be specifically cut to size and to make such kits for only certain specific model cars isn't feasable or profitable. Future and even future on, it isn't going to happen. I've done my homework on a lot of products I wanted to make. Unfortunately, I do most all inhouse. This is where I make my living. If it's easy, anyone can do it. I like doing jobs that take quite the task to complete. Sometimes you need tools and machine which costs thousands of dollars to create and that's where my creativity adds more to than what product anyone can simply buy online. I like sharing my creativity when I can but the past year or so I've been heavily busy on many custom jobs. Heck I don't even have the time to do stuff on my vehicles.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry everyone who has been trying to message me about this installation. I haven't found the time to get online to check anything regarding to my forum messages. It's just me, I work long hours and I do a lot of custom led work so it has been keeping me away from the online society. Well I finally broke way to see if anyone was able to step in and help out. I am going to be redoing my light strips as there is a newer product I have been wanting to try. There will be no hot spots and have a much even glow so they are non directional. However for your basic RGB lighting, you only need to buy a 5 meter strip and an RGB controller. Now those who have a 2010 and up model with the command with 3 settings, I posted the diagram on how to make it yourself. Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to build boards or make kits but if you got the time, you can do it yourself if you're comfortable doing so. You would want to make quick disconnects on each door panel and at the end of each of the woodgrain dash panel. I wouldn't recommend to use the power of the wires that power the factory leds as the power consumption that is controlled by the computer can be damaged. This is why I made the circuit to power the strips. I used power transistors, basically a solid state relay in theory. I doubt you will find anyone making a true universal kit as all lengths have to be specifically cut to size and to make such kits for only certain specific model cars isn't feasable or profitable. Future and even future on, it isn't going to happen. I've done my homework on a lot of products I wanted to make. Unfortunately, I do most all inhouse. This is where I make my living. If it's easy, anyone can do it. I like doing jobs that take quite the task to complete. Sometimes you need tools and machine which costs thousands of dollars to create and that's where my creativity adds more to than what product anyone can simply buy online. I like sharing my creativity when I can but the past year or so I've been heavily busy on many custom jobs. Heck I don't even have the time to do stuff on my vehicles.
I hear ya man. Sounds like you have a good niche market you are catering too. That's my business as well. I'm sure some wouldn't mind shipping their car to you, or flying you out to do a local install

Last edited by Jason B; 05-16-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM

I hear ya man. Sounds like you have a good niche market you are catering too. That's my business as well. I'm sure some wouldn't mind shipping their car to you, or flying you out to do a local install
I do. I have had quite a few people ask me about how I did certain light up components. Some ship me parts to light up and some drove quite a way to get work done. However I don't think one would want to pay me to fly out. It would not be cost effective. The time I'm away from work I loose a lot of business. I don't mind sharing how I do stuff when I can but some of the things I do will require the right tools but mostly machining parts to make light up components. I post stuff here and there on Instagram and FB when I can. I'm not big on social media so hardly post stuff like most people find time for. It's been so long since I've posted. I don't remember if I ever posted the custom light up door sills. I think one of my customers posted pics of my creation on this site if my memory serves me right. Anyway when I find time I'll post what I can.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
soo can you make us the circuit boards with transistors and the rest we can do our self's?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Cls63s AMG
just to bump this up. i am in the middle of getting my stuff together and doing this as well.. i went a different route. i will be using 1 color only as i never changed the 3 i had anyways so i picked blue. instead of RGB led strips i am using Fiber Optic Glow setup 3mm round with illuminated ends with a super bright LED.

the factory system provides 12v so connecting the led's throughout into the factory will work by hooking a positive and the negative into the ribbon. so the two pins on the ouside are your positive and negative on the factory. and from there thats it. Solder or use contacts to just plug into the factory connector which is what i will be using. and i will take pictures as well.

at this point i am waiting on my material and will get this done.

you will need to remove the plastic that goes under there on all of them to add the 3mm tube which should fit quiet well and has a nice flow of continues light instead of single led's.

stay tuned.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
sounds pretty cool, hope it works.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever changed their ambient lighting on their 221?