S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2012 S350 Japan Spec - can these quirks be fixed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S350
2012 S350 Japan Spec - can these quirks be fixed?

Hi,
I've just purchased the above and imported it to New Zealand. Very happy so far, but there are a few quirks which I would like the local dealer to sort out - basically they are saying "we can't change it - its locked to Japan" and I want to know if they are playing dumb or not.

1) Electronic Toll Card unit
This is a small unit (branded Mercedes-Benz) installed in the glovebox by the Japan MB dealer. It allows the car to go through the japan toll system, electronically debiting their toll card/credit card automatically. When I first turn on the ignition it says in the COMAND screen "ETC Card is not inserted" (which is correct) - what I want to do is get the dealer to disable this unit?

2) Reversing Alarm
When the car is in reverse there is an exasperating and continuous Bong Bong Bong - you can't hear it outside the car, but it's very distracting for the driver - what I want to do is get the dealer to disable this?

3) Clock is set to Japan Time
In the Japan version of COMAND, there is no option to set the time (which I understand is driven from the GPS clock). Should it be possible to get the dealer to change the clock time using their diagnostic software?

If any of these things are possible, can someone give me a few of the right technical terms/words for what the dealer needs to do so I can helpfully guide them as to what to do.

Answers and advice most appreciated - thanks in anticipation
Old 09-13-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
S550-07 Obsidianschwartz A200Turbo-07 Kosmosschwartz C200T -10 Tenoritgrau
Just got my -07 S550. Also from Japan with the same annoying quirks.
Additionally mine has another alarm. Every time the ignition is turned on a loud rapid beep-beep-beep-beep shouts for 15 times before it shuts up.
Drives me crazy and i dont know why the h... it`s good for.
It`s not cancelled by quickly putting the seatbelt on so i reckon its not a No seatbelt warning.

Is there anybody who can shed some light how to get rid of these alarms in a simple way ?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Sounds like a job for Star Diagnostics. The time should be able to be adjusted via command. The ETC card may be corrected by inserting any card with a chip into the slot. The other stuff will probably require Star Diagnostics to disable.