S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I buy an extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
Well, I have put in my two cents worth of the warranty for the guy that asked the question, so I am bowing out since everyone wants to rant on about things that aren't relevant to the original post. See you guys in another forum.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by 2014CL600
Well, I have put in my two cents worth of the warranty for the guy that asked the question, so I am bowing out since everyone wants to rant on about things that aren't relevant to the original post. See you guys in another forum.

No need to get your panties in a twist here. The OP received many opinions in his thread and the overwhelming consensus was to purchase a warranty. He could have also done a search of the subject and would have found dozens of threads where the subject was discussed ad nauseam. He should feel lucky that there were knowledgeable members here who ignored his inability to use the search function and answered his question anyway.

The occasional digression from the original topic is just bonus coverage.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by DaveW68

The occasional digression from the original topic is just bonus coverage.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Sorry if we've become progressively less formal by the eightieth time we've answered the same question. The OP got a lot of good, solid input, and we got to have a little fun. It reminds me of a joke:

Three missionaries lost in the jungle get captured by a tribe of savages. The three men are each tied to a stake in the center of the village, surrounded by the entire tribe. The village elder approaches the first missionary and says:

"What will it be? Death...or YaYa?"

The missionary says hesitantly, "Ya Ya?"

The man is untied from the stake and the whole village takes turns boning him up the ***, then he is set free.

The elder approaches the second missionary. "What will it be? Death...or Ya Ya?!" The missionary replies even more hesitantly "Ya Ya?". He's untied and the whole village takes turns boning him up the ***. Then he too is set free.

The elder approaches the last missionary. "What will it be? Death or Ya Ya?!"

The missionary stands perfectly erect, stares straight at the elder and says, "Death."

"Then Death it shall be!" proclaims the village elder. "But first...a little Ya Ya."

So yeah, if a new member would rather just start a thread and ask the question rather than searching first, we're happy to provide actual input. But we also require a little YaYa.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
As usual, well said.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
In addition to an extended warranty, also look for a reputable independent shop that will do the same quality work for cheaper. Companies such as Arnott industries make good quality remanufactured parts and save you alot. A rear air strut is right around 2,000 dollars for the part alone at the dealer but for a remanned from arnott it is 500 which is alot more manageable.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Sorry if we've become progressively less formal by the eightieth time we've answered the same question. The OP got a lot of good, solid input, and we got to have a little fun. It reminds me of a joke:

Three missionaries lost in the jungle get captured by a tribe of savages. The three men are each tied to a stake in the center of the village, surrounded by the entire tribe. The village elder approaches the first missionary and says:

"What will it be? Death...or YaYa?"

The missionary says hesitantly, "Ya Ya?"

The man is untied from the stake and the whole village takes turns boning him up the ***, then he is set free.

The elder approaches the second missionary. "What will it be? Death...or Ya Ya?!" The missionary replies even more hesitantly "Ya Ya?". He's untied and the whole village takes turns boning him up the ***. Then he too is set free.

The elder approaches the last missionary. "What will it be? Death or Ya Ya?!"

The missionary stands perfectly erect, stares straight at the elder and says, "Death."

"Then Death it shall be!" proclaims the village elder. "But first...a little Ya Ya."

So yeah, if a new member would rather just start a thread and ask the question rather than searching first, we're happy to provide actual input. But we also require a little YaYa.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 S550 4matic
I brought a warranty from GMAC/ General Motors 3years/36months on my 09 s550 for 3k. And it paid for itself in the first 3 months my command control wasn't working. To it to the MB dealership it was 2600 . They wanted to know what type of warranty did I have that paid for it with no hesitation.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB S550
It pays big times to buy extended warranty,if your mb factory warranty still active then you can buy MB factory extended warranty it covers every thing except battery and there is no copays,I had 2009 S550 and I bought 3 years 100k miles for $3000 plus tax it was in special from MB and it paid for it self time and time again,I sold the car and had 8 months left on it,the care sold at retail price in 10 days the reason was the warranty.all that and you have peace of mind.now I have 2015 S550 which I will buy extend warranty before factory warranty expires.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:38 AM

2015 MB S550
dose any body know how to burn/transfer music from CD to car music registry 2015 S550?
Old 11-26-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 designo
Originally Posted by xxfightclubxx
im going to look into usaa.
I have the USAA/Assurant warranty and highly recommend it. My indy found a fault code for the power folding drivers mirror (intermittent fold in and out) and Assurant paid over $700 to replace the assembly with zero hassle. It is also a zero deductible warranty, but I did have to pay $49 out of pocket because my mechanics diagnostic rate is that much more than Assurant covers. I did not complain....

My mechanic was astounded they covered it.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by marcos1996
dose any body know how to burn/transfer music from CD to car music registry 2015 S550?
Insert the disc into an open slot. Go to the Register in COMAND. Select REC. the system will start ripping tracks from the disc to the HDD. If it's a commercial disc the title and artist info should import as well. Note that if power is interrupted (if you shut the car off before the entire disc is ripped) you'll end up with a fragment of the rip with no way to resume.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Love these forums, definitely going to do the MB 7YR75K warranty, found a dealer willing to sell me one for around 3K

The Thomas J;6607887
Where is this dealer located? At that price People will flock to him in droves with fists full of money.
Who do we contact to get this deal/pricing?!?!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 PM

2015 MB S550
Red face

some times MB dealers has specials on extended warranty if your original warranty is in effect ,the dealer I contacted for the warranty was MB of white plains but I bought it from Globe MB at the time and it is MB of Caldwell
Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 PM

2015 MB S550
Insert the disc into an open slot. Go to the Register in COMAND. Select REC. the system will start ripping tracks from the disc to the HDD. If it's a commercial disc the title and artist info should import as well. Note that if power is interrupted (if you shut the car off before the entire disc is ripped) you'll end up with a fragment of the rip with no way to resume.
Thank you
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S550 4MATIC
Endurance warranty for high-mileage 2007 s550

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread to talk about warranties. I am getting a 2007 s550 4MATIC with ~130K miles; it is too much for USAA but Endurance will give sort of a power-train+ service contract for ~$4800 for 5 years/100K miles. They call it "Xtra Supreme" if that helps.

It doesn't cover the suspension but does cover things like Luxury Electronics. Does cover cooling system but not radiator. Does cover A/C and heating.

Not exclusionary, or so they claim.

So, is this worth the money? They were pretty hard-sell about wanting me to sign up "but you can always call up and get a refund" which I generally don't like. But it seems like it would cover most of the expensive stuff that could go wrong (other than Airmatic).

Note that this car has been well-serviced at an indy dealer for most of its life (since 30K miles) so I'm pretty sure there are no gotchas that they know about.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:56 PM

2015 MB S550
you want to make sure that MB dealers accept this warranty.i would not buy any warranty from any after market company, because when it comes to a claim they will give you the run around.ask MB dealer if you can buy after market warranty through MB dealer,then you are guaranteed to collect the claims,$4800 sound high or it dose not cover the things they say it is covered
.good luck
Old 12-10-2015, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by marcos1996
you want to make sure that MB dealers accept this warranty.i would not buy any warranty from any after market company, because when it comes to a claim they will give you the run around.ask MB dealer if you can buy after market warranty through MB dealer,then you are guaranteed to collect the claims,$4800 sound high or it dose not cover the things they say it is covered
.good luck
Honestly, that all depends on the company. Mine has never given me any issues and has always paid claims without any hassles whatsoever. In the year plus I've had the car, the company has already paid out more than triple what I paid for the policy without complaint.

The OP doesn't have many choices with his mileage. He needs to thoroughly investigate the company to see how they rate for paying claims and customer service. I'd be a little worried about any loopholes, especially on a warranty that will go up over 200k miles. The price seems very good, but going with a named component policy could still end up costing the OP a lot of cash when repairs are needed. He also needs to read all of the fine print, and have a sample contract sent to him, not the brochure that is available at most dealers or on the company's website. If the company offers an exclusionary policy, even if it costs a couple thousand more, it is definitely worth it if he's going to keep the car that long.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Luthian
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread to talk about warranties. I am getting a 2007 s550 4MATIC with ~130K miles; it is too much for USAA but Endurance will give sort of a power-train+ service contract for ~$4800 for 5 years/100K miles. They call it "Xtra Supreme" if that helps.

It doesn't cover the suspension but does cover things like Luxury Electronics. Does cover cooling system but not radiator. Does cover A/C and heating.

Not exclusionary, or so they claim.

So, is this worth the money? They were pretty hard-sell about wanting me to sign up "but you can always call up and get a refund" which I generally don't like. But it seems like it would cover most of the expensive stuff that could go wrong (other than Airmatic).

Note that this car has been well-serviced at an indy dealer for most of its life (since 30K miles) so I'm pretty sure there are no gotchas that they know about.

Thanks!
Endurance is one of several companies that send deceptive mailers to consumers giving the impression the mailer is coming from the manufacturer. They look a little too "official" to be official but people fall for them and call the number, which leads to your basic high pressure boiler room sales rep. Usually, the call is handled up front by a low level "qualifier" who's job it is to see if you're ripe for the sales pitch. Then you get handed off to the high pressure guy.

There is no actual claims department in a company like that, because they pay nothing out in claims. But they will have a department that processes denials, and a group of people who handle requests for cancellations, which also get denied. The hardest working department though is collections, with people who's job it is to hound you for the unpaid balance of your contract, after you've blocked the recurring charges on your credit card.

No reputable third party company is going to warranty an S Class to 230,000 miles for $4000. But for fun, call them back and ask for a list of shops in your area that they've honored claims from. I'm guessing that's "private information". They're going to tell you that the special deal you were going to get...and really your car is over on miles to even qualify but he got his manager to approve you... expires today.

On the odd chance they give it to you, call those shops and see how much they like dealing with Endurance.

Personally, I would advise you not to buy the car, unless the asking price is under $10k. BTW, "It doesn't cover the suspension but does cover things like Luxury Electronics. Does cover cooling system but not radiator. Does cover A/C and heating.

Not exclusionary, or so they claim."

That is exactly the definition of exclusionary...a list of parts or systems that are excluded from coverage.

Last edited by Mike5215; 12-10-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
thoughts on $3783 OTD price for 2 year CPO extension on S550. This I believe carries an MSRP of $4695.

Is this an awesome deal ?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera
thoughts on $3783 OTD price for 2 year CPO extension on S550. This I believe carries an MSRP of $4695.

Is this an awesome deal ?
Yeah. I think I paid $4400 for the extra two on my CPO.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM

2007 S550 4MATIC
I've done most of this...

Originally Posted by DaveW68
Honestly, that all depends on the company. Mine has never given me any issues and has always paid claims without any hassles whatsoever. In the year plus I've had the car, the company has already paid out more than triple what I paid for the policy without complaint.

The OP doesn't have many choices with his mileage. He needs to thoroughly investigate the company to see how they rate for paying claims and customer service. I'd be a little worried about any loopholes, especially on a warranty that will go up over 200k miles. The price seems very good, but going with a named component policy could still end up costing the OP a lot of cash when repairs are needed. He also needs to read all of the fine print, and have a sample contract sent to him, not the brochure that is available at most dealers or on the company's website. If the company offers an exclusionary policy, even if it costs a couple thousand more, it is definitely worth it if he's going to keep the car that long.
They (claim) they don't offer exclusionary for the mileage on my car. They really didn't want to send me the sample contract (another bad sign) but, in the end, they did. It went straight to my spam folder (yet another bad sign!) but I've given to the indy dealer (is it okay to name the indy dealer here?) to look over.

Currently, I'm not driving very many miles so the 5 years will expire long before the 100K miles.

As you say, more research is needed!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:08 AM

2007 S550 4MATIC
Good advise...

[snip]No reputable third party company is going to warranty an S Class to 230,000 miles for $4000. But for fun, call them back and ask for a list of shops in your area that they've honored claims from. I'm guessing that's "private information". They're going to tell you that the special deal you were going to get...and really your car is over on miles to even qualify but he got his manager to approve you... expires today.
I take it you're against this.

They've already tried that but I got them to send a sample contract that the indy dealer is checking out now. I'll try asking them for shops in my area to which they've paid claims and see what I get back.

On the odd chance they give it to you, call those shops and see how much they like dealing with Endurance.

Personally, I would advise you not to buy the car, unless the asking price is under $10k. BTW, "It doesn't cover the suspension but does cover things like Luxury Electronics. Does cover cooling system but not radiator. Does cover A/C and heating.

Not exclusionary, or so they claim."

That is exactly the definition of exclusionary...a list of parts or systems that are excluded from coverage.
I thought this was more of named coverage where they say what they will cover rather than exclusionary where they say they cover "everything but..."

Unfortunately, it's too late to not buy the car and it wasn't under $10k.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Luthian
I take it you're against this.

They've already tried that but I got them to send a sample contract that the indy dealer is checking out now. I'll try asking them for shops in my area to which they've paid claims and see what I get back.

I thought this was more of named coverage where they say what they will cover rather than exclusionary where they say they cover "everything but..."

Unfortunately, it's too late to not buy the car and it wasn't under $10k.

The one time I bought a 3rd party service contract I worked backwards. I called the MB dealership that handled most of the work on my previous car and asked about it. They gave the company a tepid endorsement...they got most work approved, but it was a process, and most of the time there was a little remainder that MB charged but the contract wouldn't cover, in addition to the deductible. My indie flat out refused to deal with them at all. I'd have to pay him and then try to get reimbursed.

This was an EasyCare contract, who is generally considered a good warranty provider. On a 2004 S430 with 30k miles it was $4k. When the contract was set to expire at 70k, they wanted $8k to renew it. Those are the numbers I'd expect to see on a high mileage S from a company that actually expects to pay out on repairs. $4k for 100,000 miles on an S with 130k miles sounds like a company that has no plans whatsoever of paying anything.

I guess call your local MB dealer or indie and ask them about their experience with an Endurance contract.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I payed $3400.00 with tax for a 7/75K extended warranty from MB on a still in warranty S550. That is 3 more years of coverage or 48K miles of coverage for me. There is a warranty thread in the general forums that outlines all of the warranty deals.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an extended warranty