MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221-74/)
-   -   My transmission is done (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/605031-my-transmission-done.html)

castroadan 11-05-2015 10:19 AM

My transmission is done

Car is currently getting towed to a transmission shop to see how much damage I am looking at. :(

WHPH28 11-05-2015 01:29 PM

What happened? Symptoms or just out of the blue?

castroadan 11-05-2015 02:59 PM

just out of the blue, I was driving home from school, started hearing like the wheels were or the bearings were squaliing a little then all the sudden losing power to heard grinding noise and clunk.
I think the tranny is shot.

I will find out later.

xxfightclubxx 11-05-2015 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by castroadan (Post 6605535)
just out of the blue, I was driving home from school, started hearing like the wheels were or the bearings were squaliing a little then all the sudden losing power to heard grinding noise and clunk.
I think the tranny is shot.

I will find out later.

Sorry to hear that hope it all gets fixed pretty quick. when the vehicle is parked. can you turn on your car. like have the motor run and tranny be in parked? do you have a warranty for you car?

WHPH28 11-05-2015 03:51 PM

Are you keeping the car or going with something else if you need a new one?

Mike5215 11-05-2015 05:16 PM

My 220 coughed up a tranny out of warranty. The best option was a reman from some company out of Germany. My indie said by the time he got done tearing it down and rebuilding mine it would be the same money, but the reman had a 2 year warranty. It was $6k installed, and then I dumped the car.

KNBS550 11-05-2015 07:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your car. How many miles do you have on it? I thought a 2009 S550 would be safe from the early W221 7G Tronic transmission issues.

castroadan 11-06-2015 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by KNBS550 (Post 6605769)
Sorry to hear about your car. How many miles do you have on it? I thought a 2009 S550 would be safe from the early W221 7G Tronic transmission issues.

The car engages in park, drive, reverse. And still moves it just sounds like some broken metal moving around in there. Soon as that happenend.i shut it off and had it towed. Still waiting on a diagnostic. And no warranty :/

Mike5215 11-06-2015 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by castroadan (Post 6606163)
The car engages in park, drive, reverse. And still moves it just sounds like some broken metal moving around in there. Soon as that happenend.i shut it off and had it towed. Still waiting on a diagnostic. And no warranty :/

Well handled. You may have saved yourself a fortune. Mine imploded, wouldn't engage at all. The only warning was earlier that morning when it seemed to slip. No idea what could be rattling around in there on yours...it's not like they have extra internal parts that can drop off...but if it's still shifting I'm guessing it can be saved.

castroadan 11-06-2015 01:55 PM

So I got a call back from the tranny shop. He said the drive shaft needs to be replaced for sure. He said not sure if the tranny is bad yet, but wants to replace the drive shaft first. quoted me 400-500 in labor.
So now I am looking for a used drive shaft.

castroadan 11-06-2015 01:56 PM

Once I get this fixed I will most likely dump the car. And not sure what I will buy next.
Probably not another mercedes

castroadan 11-06-2015 02:11 PM

he said the drive shaft is shot, that's probably what I was hearing clunking. We are going to replace the drive shaft, found a used one on ebay for 200$ shipped.

He said the next step is get it installed, put it in gear and see if the differential is good, then the transfer case, then the transmission.
But he needs the drive shaft to get it to move.

Mike5215 11-06-2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by castroadan (Post 6606556)
he said the drive shaft is shot, that's probably what I was hearing clunking. We are going to replace the drive shaft, found a used one on ebay for 200$ shipped.

He said the next step is get it installed, put it in gear and see if the differential is good, then the transfer case, then the transmission.
But he needs the drive shaft to get it to move.

That's good news. I've had three S class (2 220's and the current 221) and the cars are great when they're properly sorted out and the occasional repairs are free. If not a CPO car, you have to get a 3rd party warranty.

Nuru 11-06-2015 05:45 PM

Take a look at the prices on these sites:
www.getmercedesparts.com - in USA
www.mercedespartssuperstore.com - in USA
www.mercteil.com - in Europe

castroadan 11-07-2015 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 371544

mrbobby 11-07-2015 06:45 AM

If the noise is coming from the drive shaft I suspect that the center support bearing is pooched.

Nickthegreek 11-07-2015 11:59 PM

Either the center support bearing is pooched like mrbobby said or the flex discs that connect it to the differential and tranny may have failed. I would replace the flex discs as well just for good measure. If in fact this ends up being the issue then it is not a transmission issue. consider yourself lucky. Happens to any car though. that center support bearing ususally goes. My friend's hyundai santa fe had a bad center support bearing that I replaced for him last week. You need a press to do it by yourself. BTW how many miles do you have on yours?

castroadan 11-09-2015 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nickthegreek (Post 6607847)
Either the center support bearing is pooched like mrbobby said or the flex discs that connect it to the differential and tranny may have failed. I would replace the flex discs as well just for good measure. If in fact this ends up being the issue then it is not a transmission issue. consider yourself lucky. Happens to any car though. that center support bearing ususally goes. My friend's hyundai santa fe had a bad center support bearing that I replaced for him last week. You need a press to do it by yourself. BTW how many miles do you have on yours?

Does the drive shaft come with the center support bearing?
I will talk to my mechanic about replacing the flex disks.

And I have 120k miles on the car.

Nickthegreek 11-09-2015 11:08 PM

the one in your picture does have a center support bearing. Just not sure what Kind of condition it is in. It also has the flex discs but again you dont know what condition they are in and if the former driver drove it like he stole it

Nickthegreek 11-09-2015 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by castroadan (Post 6608935)
Does the drive shaft come with the center support bearing?
I will talk to my mechanic about replacing the flex disks.

And I have 120k miles on the car.

My friend's went at about 150K. I would say its not all that far off. They fail but you can replace them. If your driveshaft has no damage I would just have the center bearing/fekx discs replaced on it and not bother buying a used one. On our cars its a ***** to do because theres a million heat shields you gotta remove

mrbobby 11-10-2015 06:53 AM

I agree with Nick. Changing the center bearing and flex discs (might as well change the discs because you're there) shouldn't cost anymore than a couple of hundred dollars plus parts.

With a used shaft you don't have any guarantee of the existing bearing and discs lasting for a long period of time. This way you're sure.

castroadan 11-10-2015 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mrbobby (Post 6609966)
I agree with Nick. Changing the center bearing and flex discs (might as well change the discs because you're there) shouldn't cost anymore than a couple of hundred dollars plus parts.

With a used shaft you don't have any guarantee of the existing bearing and discs lasting for a long period of time. This way you're sure.

So do you think I should go ahead and buy a new center bearing while the drive shaft is being installed?

And also purchase the flex disks as well?

castroadan 11-10-2015 09:08 AM

Well I called to let the mechanic know the drive shaft is on its way only to find out that the front drive shaft is the one that is bad.

jahquan3 11-10-2015 02:20 PM

That sux that this happened to your ride. I hope all is fixed at a reasonable price and that you can proceed without additional issue.

castroadan 11-10-2015 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jahquan3 (Post 6610451)
That sux that this happened to your ride. I hope all is fixed at a reasonable price and that you can proceed without additional issue.

thanks man, I really love this car and I hope I can get this fixed with out dropping thousands into it.