S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I finally bought it Fellas!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 e350, 2013 C250, 2004 C320, 2003 C320, 1998 CLK 320
Originally Posted by RichM
This is correct. You need to provide proof of ownership and VIN# to order the key. You need to find out if you are required to bring the car in when you pick up the key. MBUSA has been requiring dealers to do the "synchronizing" process instead of just handing over the key and letting the owner do it. You need to make sure they will give you the key without the car being present.
The MB dealers in the Atlanta area all require the car to be there. It has to be there to order the key and it has to be there to pick up the key. I kid you not. We were down to one key on the CLK and I went ahead and got another simply because you have to have the car there. If you lose the key (or have it stolen) then you have to get the car towed there TWICE. Huge pita.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
Just checked with MB of Portland. Key will arrive from Texas ready to go!

Lucked out on that one!

I called Copart.com in New York. They sent out my title yesterday. I guess third times a charm. Made sure to get a tracking number this time. Fedex says it will arrive Friday by 4:30pm.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-09-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
They are **** about theft at MB, for good reason. The cars are virtually impossible to steal without a key. I had a fraudulent theft claim once on an SL. The guy owned a dance club and claimed he'd left the car parked in front of the entrance the previous night and got too drunk to drive so he left it. The next morning it was gone.

He produced a single key and swore that was the only key, but I knew nobody hot wired an SL. The local dealer had a record of a new key being cut against the VIN two days before the reported theft.

The investigation determined the guys club was in financial trouble, and the SL was his only remotely liquid asset. It was too trashed to sell so the plan was to get a new key and have an employee drive the car down south to a rental storage unit. Once the claim was paid ($70,000) the car would be abandoned at the Lauderdale airport.

We denied and the following day the car was recovered at the airport. Good times.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by mercedesbenzs55

Lucked out on that one!

I called Copart.com in New York. They sent out my title yesterday. I guess third times a charm. Made sure to get a tracking number this time. Fedex says it will arrive Friday by 4:30pm.
Are you going to have to drag the car onto a flatbed to haul it to MB to get the key? That's nuts. In guessing you've been all thru the interior confirming the key isn't in there somewhere. Cubbies, along side or under the seats, etc.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Are you going to have to drag the car onto a flatbed to haul it to MB to get the key? That's nuts. In guessing you've been all thru the interior confirming the key isn't in there somewhere. Cubbies, along side or under the seats, etc.
I like your fraud stories mike.

I've cleaned the interior very meticulously today. No luck with the key.

I called MB of Portland and they said key will be ready out of the box, no need for the car. It was relieving to hear that.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I like your fraud stories mike.

I've cleaned the interior very meticulously today. No luck with the key.

I called MB of Portland and they said key will be ready out of the box, no need for the car. It was relieving to hear that.
Cool. You've never heard it run right?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic

Lucked out on that one!

Key still needs to be synchronized to the car. Can't just pop the key in and turn it over. Synchronization can take up to 30 minutes. There are many handshakes the key must make the first time. EIS, DAS, keyless go etc. You should get a message on the central screen saying something to the effect of key synchronizing. Do not try to start the car during this process. Hopefully this process will go smoothly for you.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope, not yet. I'm hoping that between forklifts and transportation and the car being in park without ebrake, that it hasn't acquired any tranny issues. I dont think it has, but anything could have happened.

I'm confident the engine runs well.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RichM
Key still needs to be synchronized to the car. Can't just pop the key in and turn it over. Synchronization can take up to 30 minutes. There are many handshakes the key must make the first time. EIS, DAS, keyless go etc. You should get a message on the central screen saying something to the effect of key synchronizing. Do not try to start the car during this process. Hopefully this process will go smoothly for you.
I asked the Mb rep. about synchronization. He said I wont have to do that. Could MB have added that "feature" after 2007?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
I asked the Mb rep. about synchronization. He said I wont have to do that. Could MB have added that "feature" after 2007?
One less thing to worry about.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by DaveW68
The dude is from Brooklyn, right? And now he's gone from an S-class to a Maserati? The first thing I'd say about it is that you're likely buying into another fantasy. New York City cars are often the most abused cars in the entire country. They run through potholes on an almost daily basis, hit curbs, bumper taps while parking, etc. The Airmatic suspension, if still alive, is likely on its last leg. The car likely has very few highway miles on it....at least in the time that he owned the car. Judging by the receipts, it looks like he never went to the dealer for repairs (not necessarily bad), and only tires and brakes were done (a pad slap....yuck!). To me, it appears he did the bare minimum to keep the car road worthy until he got rear ended. Once you do get the body fixed, plan on a minimum of $5k per year for repairs and maintenance....although that number could go far north of that figure.

If you're really considering having a W221 S-class as your family truckster, you should consider dumping that thing and buy a lower mileage good one in the $22-28k range where you can get a good warranty at a reasonable cost. It will cost you several thousands less over a 5 year period, even with the extra cost of the car and warranty. A used S-class is not for the faint of heart. Only 33k miles on mine and over $11k in warranty repairs in just the last 16 months....which doesn't even include other items such as brakes, tires, batteries, oil changes, etc. The car is a ball-breaker without a warranty....and that's on a car that has been fully serviced since day one at MB dealers where I have a full stack of service records an inch thick. If there was only 1 very good thing that I've learned from this and the BMW M5 board I used to be a part of: DO NOT OWN THESE CARS WITHOUT WARRANTY COVERAGE!!! Unless you have such a big stash of cash that it doesn't matter any way (usually the first owners of these cars).

I know that this thread is dedicated to your hysterical experience (or inexperience) of repairing an S-class on an unrealistic budget, but you need to look at where you will be once the car is made road worthy again. It isn't likely going to be pretty at your mileage.
The roads here are horrible. However there aren't to many cars around here on their last leg. It's also not a stretch that Mr. Vitalie went from an S class to a Maserati. The Maserati has become the hot car to lease/own the past 3 or four years. The lease on the ghibli is way less than a new S class and Maserati pushes them hard out here. I get a mailing from them at least once a month the past couple of years and I see quite a few of them running around.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Ok... I'll admit, I just read this whole thread and I'm hooked!!! Can't wait for the next episode titled "The key arrives"!
Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure about 07, but I had a key for 12 E class shipped from Germany and it started up the car without any synchronization.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
The roads here are horrible. However there aren't to many cars around here on their last leg. It's also not a stretch that Mr. Vitalie went from an S class to a Maserati. The Maserati has become the hot car to lease/own the past 3 or four years. The lease on the ghibli is way less than a new S class and Maserati pushes them hard out here. I get a mailing from them at least once a month the past couple of years and I see quite a few of them running around.
+This

The previous owner of my E went to a Maserati after trading it in. I see them all the time in North Jersey, they're definitely becoming the talk of the town so to speak lately.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rear black OEM bumper + rear sensors ordered this morning.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Subbed!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Rear black OEM bumper + rear sensors ordered this morning.
If it were me (and it wouldn't be because of all the dumb crap I have done with cars I have learned my lesson long ago) I wouldn't be sinking a penny into buying parts until I have heard that car start, run and possibly drive.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's a good call, I am being a bit hasty.
I'm riding on Mr.Vitalie's good word that the car rides with no issues.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-10-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s55K / s550 4Matic / GX470 / A8L /
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
If it were me (and it wouldn't be because of all the dumb crap I have done with cars I have learned my lesson long ago) I wouldn't be sinking a penny into buying parts until I have heard that car start, run and possibly drive.
I am going to unsubscribe this thread no one will learn anything from this, most of us know never to touch a wrecked mercedes and an sclass dont even think abt it, anyone else who makes the same mistake dont deserve to have the money lol
Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dildil,

Your bashing is weak, and points are fragile.

This sort of challenge isn't for the feint hearted. I'm not making this for others to get the idea to do it too. Its a documentary of what can be done.
The following 2 users liked this post by mercedesbenzs55:
compaddict (03-10-2016), jahquan3 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Dildil,

This sort of challenge isn't for the feint hearted. I'm not making this for others to get the idea to do it too. Its a documentary of what can be done.
Um, aren't you the guy who insisted that you are a perfectionist and would make your wreck as good as new with a budget of under $1k with a rubber mallet, a new bumper cover, and some used tail lights?

And aren't you the same guy who stated that the rear fender creases were not a part of the accident and were purposely dented by the previous owner to make sure that the car was totalled? Aren't you already over budget without actually having fixed anything?

While I agree that there is definitely a lot to be learned here for everybody who has ever considered such an endeavor, I think it will you who will learn that your expectations will eventually get you in over your head (you said you have a very limited budget to work with), especially when you find out your budget will likely be 5-10 times higher or more, just to get the car presentable....which doesn't even address the potential problems with the rest of the car and the forthcoming high repair and maintenance costs.

I want to see you succeed with this project, but this thread should not be seen as encouragement for others with limited funds to try the same thing. In all honesty, it was an ill conceived idea and I wish you would have done a lot more research before committing yourself to it.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s55K / s550 4Matic / GX470 / A8L /
Dildil,

Its just plain stupid to buy a car for 12.5k or 13k thats salvage title, wrecked , and needs atlest 5 to 10k to make it presentable ... when 1 can buy a perfectly running car for 15k )
Old 03-10-2016, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Um, aren't you the guy who insisted that you are a perfectionist and would make your wreck as good as new with a budget of under $1k with a rubber mallet, a new bumper cover, and some used tail lights?

And aren't you the same guy who stated that the rear fender creases were not a part of the accident and were purposely dented by the previous owner to make sure that the car was totalled? Aren't you already over budget without actually having fixed anything?

While I agree that there is definitely a lot to be learned here for everybody who has ever considered such an endeavor, I think it will you who will learn that your expectations will eventually get you in over your head (you said you have a very limited budget to work with), especially when you find out your budget will likely be 5-10 times higher or more, just to get the car presentable....which doesn't even address the potential problems with the rest of the car and the forthcoming high repair and maintenance costs.

I want to see you succeed with this project, but this thread should not be seen as encouragement for others with limited funds to try the same thing. In all honesty, it was an ill conceived idea and I wish you would have done a lot more research before committing yourself to it.
I am still the perfectionist I said I was. 1k and rubber mallet was wishful thinking and humor. You were the one touting sarcasm and understanding it, now you are the one who cannot.

If you kept up with the thread you would see that in fact I did say it looked like fraud. I posted that as a suggestion, until a member with more experience explained otherwise.

My budget will likely be 5-10 times higher? Explain to me how this project will be 50-100k, when the car costs 90k new? Part of your statement here is wishful thinking on your part.

It may be true that you want my project to succeed, but perhaps without as many pitfalls as you hope there will be.

It is your opinion that it was an ill conceived idea. I think it is a fun project.

..I bet you secretly harbor a hope that my car won't start.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by dildil
Its just plain stupid to buy a car for 12.5k or 13k thats salvage title, wrecked , and needs atlest 5 to 10k to make it presentable ... when 1 can buy a perfectly running car for 15k )
Unfortunately, you will not find any perfectly running W221 with 80k miles for $15k. Those are closer to $20k. The later model W220 S500's are more in that price range. But none of that changes the fact that the project doesn't make any sense. Even with a fully repaired car, the branded title gives it a minimum 40% hit to value compared to a comparable car that is not branded. So even if the car is repaired to a high standard, the after repaired value wouldn't be any more than $12k.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dildil
Dildil,

I expect you will soon begin posting threads on here so about how this and that began breaking because you took a loan on a poser S550 for 15k with 150k miles on it.

Good luck Chief.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Quick Reply: I finally bought it Fellas!