S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 headlight change (Night vision)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me: S500 '09 (w221), Wifey: SLK200 '04 (r171)
W221 headlight change (Night vision)

Hi guys,

I have a W221 S500/S550, with bi xenon headlight, active curve assistant, and night vision.

Unfortunately the drivers side headlight takes in moisture, after a small damage in the front. It has been like that in about one year, and lately it started to give me error code : "Active curve system out of order" (translated from danish, may sound different in english). The lights work fine, and I can not see any difference, other than the yellow message in the dashboard.

Originally, I planned to get a friend of mine, who is a bit more good with technics than me, to disassemble the headlight, dry it, and maybe check if the motor for active curve system has taken to much moisture in, and need to be cleaned with contact spray.

BUT, then suddenly I saw on the danish version of eBay, that a dude, had a headlight for sale, for about 300$, and thought, instead of repairing the old one, why not change it.

The other guys headlight looks the same like mine, however he does not have night vision in his car.

I contacted the local MB-dealer, to check whether the cars headlights suited each other, and they responded:

As far as I can see, it can not be done, because the headlights from WDD2210711A213*** has the night vision.

It actually gets the same part number for headlight, on both cars, but I do not think that the night vision + active curve light will come to work... Also maybe the connectors are different.

WDD2210221A194*** has code 615 (Bi-xenon for traffic on the right side of the road)

WDD2210711A213*** has code 615 (Bi-xenon for traffic on the right side of the road) + 610 (night vision).

He also attached 2 pictures, to show what he mean...

So my question for you guys is, can any one tell me whether the headlights are interchangeable ? And can I just move the module for night vision, from my old headlight to the new one maybe?
Attached Thumbnails W221 headlight change (Night vision)-image004.jpg   W221 headlight change (Night vision)-image003.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
If you want night vision to work it has to be a night vision capable headlight they are different

Originally Posted by Moore Michel
Hi guys,

I have a W221 S500/S550, with bi xenon headlight, active curve assistant, and night vision.

Unfortunately the drivers side headlight takes in moisture, after a small damage in the front. It has been like that in about one year, and lately it started to give me error code : "Active curve system out of order" (translated from danish, may sound different in english). The lights work fine, and I can not see any difference, other than the yellow message in the dashboard.

Originally, I planned to get a friend of mine, who is a bit more good with technics than me, to disassemble the headlight, dry it, and maybe check if the motor for active curve system has taken to much moisture in, and need to be cleaned with contact spray.

BUT, then suddenly I saw on the danish version of eBay, that a dude, had a headlight for sale, for about 300$, and thought, instead of repairing the old one, why not change it.

The other guys headlight looks the same like mine, however he does not have night vision in his car.

I contacted the local MB-dealer, to check whether the cars headlights suited each other, and they responded:

As far as I can see, it can not be done, because the headlights from WDD2210711A213*** has the night vision.

It actually gets the same part number for headlight, on both cars, but I do not think that the night vision + active curve light will come to work... Also maybe the connectors are different.

WDD2210221A194*** has code 615 (Bi-xenon for traffic on the right side of the road)

WDD2210711A213*** has code 615 (Bi-xenon for traffic on the right side of the road) + 610 (night vision).

He also attached 2 pictures, to show what he mean...

So my question for you guys is, can any one tell me whether the headlights are interchangeable ? And can I just move the module for night vision, from my old headlight to the new one maybe?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by S500 Man
If you want night vision to work it has to be a night vision capable headlight they are different

Thanks, but would it be possible to move the module from my old to the new headlight ?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Sounds like a non-starter.
Here are a few from USA eBay - if you have not seen them yet.
$699
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-20...NW4ySI&vxp=mtr

$649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIGHT-VISION...pWSkQ0&vxp=mtr

$500+
http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-Mer...NWz3QE&vxp=mtr
Old 04-01-2016, 05:42 AM

Hi Nuru,

Thanks.

D*** its expensive.... I am from Denmark, so might have to check eBay europe, and find one here instead...

Wouldn't it be possible to buy a non night vision, and move the night vision module from my own?

Do you have any tips, to make some quick fixes? Thinking about trying to disassemble the complete whole light, and clean it for moisture and clean the electric parts with contact-cleaner, and hoping it could come to work... As mentioned the error occurred, together with the headlight having some small moisture inside it.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 482 Likes on 368 Posts
2015 S550
If you have any kind of crack in the glass, you likely won't be able to fix it and make it look good. If you have a crack in the seal, then that is something you can resolve with a good rubber sealer after cleaning it out. If you have the time to dedicate to this project and don't mind your car being down while working on it, then it couldn't hurt to give it a try to fix it yourself. After you've repaired it, if the message doesn't go away then you can try taking it to the dealer to see if they can clear the message.

I believe the guts and casing of the Night Vision headlights are different than the ones without, so you likely cannot just swap the internals over. When searching eBay, you will have to find an exact match of the part number because curb illumination depends on whether the car is LH or RH drive....and the side opposite the driver is the only side that will illuminate.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM

Dear Dave,

Thank you very much

No cracks in the glass! The car is going in workshop for facelift, so thought they could do it at the same time.. It's worth a try :o)

I have STAR tester myself, so can maybe even delete the message myself, after "fixing it" :o)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Yes, +1 on what Dave says, I also believe the internal circuitry is different, so it would need to be more than a single module swap.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 AM

Thanks

I will try disassemble it and see if I can fix it.. And if not, I will have to buy another headlight...