S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Does w221 still use pneumatic door locks and soft close?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German karts
Does w221 still use pneumatic door locks and soft close?

Hi, i am planning to buy an S-class for a hobby car, and been reading what kind of maintenance that may be needed down to road.
I was thinking either get a late model w220 or early model w221 (not the first year, at least the year after m272's balance shaft problem resolved). I'll be getting the v6 model as i live in country where v6 models are the most common, so it's easier to find one in excellent condition.
I've been doing research on both w220 and w221, and it seems the most common expensive maintenance would be the airmatic suspension (some say it is due to poor road condition, or the high humidity in our country that shorten the life of airmatic seals that eventually leads to premature failures).
On the w220, some mentioned the second problematic item is PSE system that controls central locking and soft closing mechanism, that is prone to leaks.
I wonder if w221 still use PSE to control central locking and soft closing doors? Or has mercedes switched to motors?
The airmatic system cost similar to repair, but if there are less item to go wrong in w221, it might be a good idea to get w221 instead. But if w221 also use pneumatic system that can leak, i was thinking might be a better idea to get w220 instead and has more spare budget for repair and maintenance.
Just for information only, late model (2005/6) w220 in good condition is around 19-22k USD, while earlier model (2007/8) w221 in good condition is around 33-37k USD.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by mklasse
Hi, i am planning to buy an S-class for a hobby car, and been reading what kind of maintenance that may be needed down to road.
I was thinking either get a late model w220 or early model w221 (not the first year, at least the year after m272's balance shaft problem resolved). I'll be getting the v6 model as i live in country where v6 models are the most common, so it's easier to find one in excellent condition.
I've been doing research on both w220 and w221, and it seems the most common expensive maintenance would be the airmatic suspension (some say it is due to poor road condition, or the high humidity in our country that shorten the life of airmatic seals that eventually leads to premature failures).
On the w220, some mentioned the second problematic item is PSE system that controls central locking and soft closing mechanism, that is prone to leaks.
I wonder if w221 still use PSE to control central locking and soft closing doors? Or has mercedes switched to motors?
The airmatic system cost similar to repair, but if there are less item to go wrong in w221, it might be a good idea to get w221 instead. But if w221 also use pneumatic system that can leak, i was thinking might be a better idea to get w220 instead and has more spare budget for repair and maintenance.
Just for information only, late model (2005/6) w220 in good condition is around 19-22k USD, while earlier model (2007/8) w221 in good condition is around 33-37k USD.
By PSE, I assume you're talking about a vacuum locking system? In the W221, the locks and soft close doors are fully electric. And the Airmatic system is subject to failure with age and wear. With the age of car you're considering, you should expect that system to fail at some point.

And the prices of the cars you're looking at are crazy expensive. You'd be better off buying a US car and having it shipped to your country. Your prices are $10-15k higher than what you can find an avg mileage S550 for here in the states. I think you will be seriously disappointed with the performance of the V6 in the W221 as the car is in the 4500 lb range and the V6 does not provide enough power to comfortably accelerate in traffic.
The following users liked this post:
mklasse (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
The soft close door on my 13 S63 went bad a cpl months ago... I'm almost positive the SA said it was a vacuum.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:36 AM

German karts
Originally Posted by DaveW68
By PSE, I assume you're talking about a vacuum locking system? In the W221, the locks and soft close doors are fully electric. And the Airmatic system is subject to failure with age and wear. With the age of car you're considering, you should expect that system to fail at some point.

And the prices of the cars you're looking at are crazy expensive. You'd be better off buying a US car and having it shipped to your country. Your prices are $10-15k higher than what you can find an avg mileage S550 for here in the states. I think you will be seriously disappointed with the performance of the V6 in the W221 as the car is in the 4500 lb range and the V6 does not provide enough power to comfortably accelerate in traffic.
Yes I am fully prepared to repair the airmatic system, or if i am lucky to find one that has recently been serviced/replaced.
Yes I was talking about the vacuum locking system. I haven't researched well on the rate of failure of PSE system, but I just thought motor is going to be a lot easier to repair (ie. doesn't need to find source of leak, just replace the faulty unit and done, correct me if i'm wrong).

The main reason the car price is so ridiculously high here is because of our import tax. The new base model W222 S400 (non hybrid V6, I think this model only exist in handful markets) is close to W222 S600's price in the US. Also, the larger the engine displacement, the more expensive the annual road tax is, so the smaller engine is more popular here. My F25 X3 with 2.0 engine has cheaper road tax than the old W220 S350, crazy

Thank you for your reply, this definitely help in my consideration whether to get W220 or 221
Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
124, 140, 211, 220, 221, 996
mklasse, have you decided on what car you're getting?

I had a 2001 S320 for 10 years that I had just sold. I had the pumps replaced 2 times (on all doors). The last time I had them changed was 3 years ago and they cost me IDR 3,5m per door.

If you don't mind not having soft closing doors and sunroof, you might want to have a look at the facelifted 03+ S280 LWB. The prices are lower than the S350 and just slightly different in terms of options.

My dad has a 2009 S350 for 2 years now and never had a problem with the soft closing doors, though he has had to replace the ECU (IDR 25m) and the rear airmatics recently.

Where are you located in Indo?

Last edited by schwarz; 01-26-2017 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mklasse (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 AM

German karts
Originally Posted by schwarz
mklasse, have you decided on what car you're getting?

I had a 2001 S320 for 10 years that I had just sold. I had the pumps replaced 2 times (on all doors). The last time I had them changed was 3 years ago and they cost me IDR 3,5m per door.

If you don't mind not having soft closing doors and sunroof, you might want to have a look at the facelifted 03+ S280 LWB. The prices are lower than the S350 and just slightly different in terms of options.

My dad has a 2009 S350 for 2 years now and never had a problem with the soft closing doors, though he has had to replace the ECU (IDR 25m) and the rear airmatics recently.

Where are you located in Indo?
No I have not decided yet, both cars have their pros and cons
I was going to get W212 E-class for my 2nd car, but then I thought to try an S-class for a change, though I know the maintenance is going to be more expensive, but I figured it's a price to pay for a more comfortable car (and right there I know I am getting old )
Financially, it may make more sense to just get the W220 since this is just going to be a hobby car, and so I have a lot more to spare for maintenance and repairs, but my heart is kinda leaning towards W221 more. So for now I'll just keep my option open.

I'm located in Bandung.
Thanks for your input and the price of the parts