S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 W221 Interior Ambient lighting swap.. Who's in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
14 & 07 S550, 15 S8, 14 750i, 04 GS 430
S550 W221 Interior Ambient lighting swap.. Who's in?

Hey everyone,
I'm new here, so all of your kind assistance will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure what I'm about to ask is most likely already addressed in one of many Threads here in this great Benz community. However, I haven't seen a step by step DIY write up in one place.

So, here it goes.

My project car is going to be a 2007 S550 4Matic with an AMG appearance Package.

I'm trying to swap out the existing "very dim" interior ambient lighting with mostly likely 5050 led strips to give it a more of the new 2014 and up S class look. I'm sure many of you here are interested in doing so as well. I did see a few people do it, but haven't seen an actual complete write up from start to finish. And this is what I'm trying to accomplish here. With all of your help, I will document everything from start to finish so it will be here in one place. I will take everyone's advice and proceed accordingly.

Here are the Questions:

1. Currently, MY 07-09 has only 1 led color option (orange), with only 2 wires connected to the led (fiber optic strip) which is the red for power and black for ground. Should I make things easier and swap it with a 1 color led strip or go for a RGB led strip (which will require me to build some sort of circuit)? If I go with the easier option (1 color led strip) which will have the same power up connection as the existing (red for power and black for ground), could I just simply connect it to the existing cable feeding the existing Leds? The current set up is 3 leds supplying light for the entire front trim and 1 led in each of the door trims. So my concern is, if I connect a strip of leds (with multiple leds) to the existing power source, will it light up all of the new leds? Does the existing power supply have enough wattage/Amps to support the strips? Will this cause any blown fuses or mess up my electronics. I really don't want to run any new power supply from the fuse box or any other places. I want to keep it as simple and "stock" as possible. Also figured this way, I can adjust the brightness of the new leds with command or go back to the original set up just by reconnecting the power back to the fiber optics. I do understand that some trimming to the back of the wood trims will be required to fit the new led strips. Finally, any suggestions on the type of led strips I should use?

2. I have a basic idea of how to remove the front wood trim and the doors. But if anyone have any videos or a step by step write up, please post it here. I will document my work from start to finish, but any help will be greatly appreciated. Again, the point of this project is to have everything in one place and to make this project as simple as possible for those who want to try it afterwards.

I apologize if this post is very long and boring. I really want to try new things with this car, and want to document everything step by step with videos, pictures and a complete write up. I'm sure with all of your help I can get this done. I have many other ideas I want to try, so please give me your honest opinions. Thank you all in advance!!
Old 07-06-2017, 04:35 AM

Common everyone. I know you all are busy. But please, give me some advice. I would really like to get started on this project.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W221 forum...
Old 07-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MJ50
moved to W221 forum...
I'm sorry, did I post this in the wrong forum? This was my first post. How do I move It to the right place?
Old 12-09-2020, 07:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 S550 4-Matic (W221)
Did you ever complete this project?
Old 12-10-2020, 07:25 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
My 2010 had 3 colors. Ice blue, bright white, warm white. I keep it set to warm white.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 w221 s600
hello, I change the ambient light on my w221 s600 with 64 color led light its amazing I love it, I got the kit from
https://www.dmpcardes********/index....=ambient+light

I removed the door panels, removed the wood the took out the old led strip and installed the new one "note" the old strips have groove that sits on the wood but the new ones dont, so I had to use glue to hold it in place and connected the 2 wires on the factory connection in the panel. now for the control unit I gave it power from the lighter socket.

exuse my poor english guys

I do have some videos If you want me to send it to you contact me.

this is wireless kit you dont need to drag any wires from door panles to the control moudel
just remove the old ones and install the new one and give it power from the old plug connection.
for the dashboard I manged to make the led strip one piece and hooked two light bars on each side because the light will get dimmer the longer it gets.

​​
Old 12-21-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 S550 4-Matic (W221)
Originally Posted by Salman s600
hello, I change the ambient light on my w221 s600 with 64 color led light its amazing I love it, I got the kit from
https://www.dmpcardes********/index....=ambient+light

I removed the door panels, removed the wood the took out the old led strip and installed the new one "note" the old strips have groove that sits on the wood but the new ones dont, so I had to use glue to hold it in place and connected the 2 wires on the factory connection in the panel. now for the control unit I gave it power from the lighter socket.

exuse my poor english guys

I do have some videos If you want me to send it to you contact me.

this is wireless kit you dont need to drag any wires from door panles to the control moudel
just remove the old ones and install the new one and give it power from the old plug connection.
for the dashboard I manged to make the led strip one piece and hooked two light bars on each side because the light will get dimmer the longer it gets.

​​
Looks real nice man, how long did the installation take you? I'm looking to tackle this project over the weekend!
Old 12-21-2020, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 w221 s600
Originally Posted by Owais Khan
Looks real nice man, how long did the installation take you? I'm looking to tackle this project over the weekend!
took me about 1 hour for each door panel, make sure to have glue gun stick ready.

and took about 2 hours for the dash its the hardest part in the install. I gave the control unit power from the cig lighter wires.