S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Intermittent starting trouble

Old 08-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S550 4Matic
Intermittent starting trouble

New to me, 2011 S550 4matic, When I use the key or push button start, doesn't matter which. I turn the key, dash lights come on, no start. try again, no start. then try again it does start. starts fast like nothing is wrong. Sometimes it will start, but then immediately turn off. I thought the key battery was dying so I replaced it, but problem persists. Tried the second key, has the same issues.
Do keys "wear out"?
Maybe the replacement battery was also weak or dead? Does it sound like a key problem to you?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by supralance
New to me, 2011 S550 4matic, When I use the key or push button start, doesn't matter which. I turn the key, dash lights come on, no start. try again, no start. then try again it does start. starts fast like nothing is wrong. Sometimes it will start, but then immediately turn off. I thought the key battery was dying so I replaced it, but problem persists. Tried the second key, has the same issues.
Do keys "wear out"?
Maybe the replacement battery was also weak or dead? Does it sound like a key problem to you?
Check battery terminals. This is common
Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
s550
Originally Posted by supralance
Do keys "wear out"?
had this happen to me ended up just changing out the starter battery under the hood.