S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

w221 oil usage , worn engine or bad technicians

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
w221 oil usage , worn engine or bad technicians

Hello. Ive bought w221 on 240k miles on the clock . First trip i had was like 2k miles . in the middle of my way back home yellow light come to add some oil . i did add 5w30 and after another 1000km lamp came back. total i added like 3Litres for 3000km. came back and serviced the car from A to z. car runs very well . when idle no smoke coming from exhaust . when driving hardly and kick down a little black/grey smoke comes out . Turbo has no moves( donno how is the word) . its basicly new ( 20k miles droven with it ) . car runs very good but where the oil came ??? nothing shows on star , no check engine ? when changing oils i have replaced 2 orange seals around the turbo charger , they were broken . the only mistake star gives is 2644 something about the MAF sensor i think . nothing else . car puls out very good . and here comes the question , spoke to 3 technicians not in official dealreship but others , all they think engine worn out . pistons /rings ... something like that . but until i open the engine and see nothing is sure . fixing this would cost me around 2k gbp and am not going to do it . before i sell the car for spares repairs i eant to be sure im not making mistake . please help me . what are the symptoms if pistons are worn out ? also i have a little oil in the left air filter box . engine is so quiet and running so good that i cant belive it can be worn . turbo is good , what else left ?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM

W203
help
Old 11-10-2017, 06:37 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
what year? what model?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 AM

W203
sorry , 320cdi . 2007.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:47 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

you replaced the turbo intake (orange) seals so this is good.

next check carefully under car on the back of the engine if there is a leak through the overflow hole. if there is oil coming out of there it is you oil cooler seals- very common on the om642 motor. oil will either drip on the ground or on the exhaust and will burn without a trace.

if no oil on the back of the engine remove Y- shaped intake and run the engine with the turbo impeller visible. have an assistant pump the throttle in quick succession and observe if the impeller spills oil in a centrifugal manner. if it does it is your oil seals despite the fact that turbo shaft has no play (luft).

if no oil coming out of the shaft have a static compression test performed on cylinders to determine piston seals and valve guides condition. this is somewhat not trivial and is usually done by a dedicated diesel engine shop.

good luck

Last edited by alx; 11-11-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 PM

W203
Originally Posted by alx
you replaced the turbo intake (orange) seals so this is good.

next check carefully under car on the back of the engine if there is a leak through the overflow hole. if there is oil coming out of there it is you oil cooler seals- very common on the om642 motor. oil will either drip on the ground or on the exhaust and will burn without a trace.

if no oil on the back of the engine remove Y- shaped intake and run the engine with the turbo impeller visible. have an assistant pump the throttle in quick succession and observe if the impeller spills oil in a centrifugal manner. if it does it is your oil seals despite the fact that turbo shaft has no play (luft).

if no oil coming out of the shaft have a static compression test performed on cylinders to determine piston seals and valve guides condition. this is somewhat not trivial and is usually done by a dedicated diesel engine shop.

good luck

mate turbo has no luft . attaching photo of under engine

Old 11-11-2017, 05:28 PM

W203

right side clean

left side

left side

no bracket in that circle thing , the hose has no bracket to stick it hard .

new seals

left side
one of the photos in oil on the ground , am not sure if it was from my car . was in the mall parking and i had just parked in the place of other car .but there is oil under the engine cover as u can see . and engine itself is littlemoily from the left side . i just dont understand how oil is going to the exhaust and car burns it ? this part i dont understand ? oil going through where ? have a look at the nest photos . right side around right filter box is clear . left side is very oilish .
Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

good pictures.

i would say your oil cooler seals have failed. somewhat common at that age and mileage.