S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Researching a w221 to purchase in the future

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Lexus LS430
Researching a w221 to purchase in the future

Hello everyone.
I am currently researching a w221, 2012-2013 S550 4matic with 50-60k miles to purchase in the future. I would like to ask some questions about different areas of the vehicle.
1. Is Bluetooth system capable of playing music from a smartphone?
2. Is there a USB plug to play music from a flash drive?
3. I see from pictures that steering wheel has volume up and down buttons but are there forward and reverse button to change tracks/CDs in the changer?
4. Is there drivers seat shoulder adjustment like in BMWs?
5. How reliable are the multi contour front seats with massage?
6. Any known problems overall I have to be prepared for?
I will add more questions as they pop up.
Thank you.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by gamelovers11223
Hello everyone.
I am currently researching a w221, 2012-2013 S550 4matic with 50-60k miles to purchase in the future. I would like to ask some questions about different areas of the vehicle.
3. I see from pictures that steering wheel has volume up and down buttons but are there forward and reverse button to change tracks/CDs in the changer?
Thank you.
1. Yes, with a Tune2Air adapter plugged into the iPod cable.
2. No
3. Yes
4. If you mean side bolsters, then yes if the car comes with active seats.
5. My car is 11 years old and they still work just fine.
6. A potentially infinite supply. Although most of the problems from the early models, especially the 7 speed auto trans were corrected in the later models. Make sure you purchase a warranty with the car. If you purchase a 2013, you may still have an opportunity to buy a certified one with 1 year of warranty coverage that can be extended out to 3 years for around $4k. The more these cars age, even with low mileage, the more problems rear their ugly heads.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gamelovers11223
Hello everyone.
No, not as equipped from the factory. Aftermarket solutions exist, that either plug directly in to the MDI port in the glove box, or as a separate bluetooth adapter that plugs in to the included 30 pin Ipod adapter. Text display of song/album data and overall control varies depending on the adapter, and the phone you are using - with iPhone/Ipods being more supported.
Yes there is, in the glovebox on the left side. I believe, but have not confirmed that unlike the SDcard slot, it will support larger >32GB devices and hard drives that do not draw more than 800ma of power so long as they formatted as FAT32. Both VBR and CBR MP3 files (and the first version of WMA with the same bit rates) are supported. Other file formats like OGG and other lossless formats are definitely not supported.
To change the tracks you use the left and right steering wheel controls to select the Audio display menu, then the up and down controls to change tracks. You cannot change audio sources, CDs, or albums using just the steering wheel buttons. You can also change tracks by using voice commands, or from the command control knob.
There is a separate set of adjustable air bladders that support the shoulder blade area in the upper part of the seat. This is similar to the BMW adjustment IMO.
No problems so far on my 2013. I do not use the dynamic active seat feature however, and I'm under 155 lbs.
Best advice besides the usual test drive, and play with every button/feature to make sure it works - is to find someone that has a Star Diagnostic tool, and bring it with you. Ask the seller/dealer if it's ok to do a quick scan for error codes. They will likely think you're going to plug in a generic OBD2 code reader. The SD tool will give you insight however, as it logs intermittent faults, recurring issues with accessories and non-powertrain issues. Also, get to know what the car has - if you post the VIN here, someone will get you the original data card with all the options down to the build level listed out. If you're buying from a dealership, there is a high possibility they will have the service history of the vehicle, called the VMI or Vehicle Master Inquiry. They may not let you "have it" but they should have no problem with you looking through it while you're there. In my case, they let me have a full copy of it, after they cut out the previous owner identifying information.

Thank you.

Good luck!!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2006 S430 AMG
Here is my best advice....

a) make sure you have an entire Service history of the vehicle before you even consider it. Preferably from Mercedes! They keep history of these cars well and will share it.
b) Condition of exterior and interior is a great indicator how much previous owners cared
c) Take it to a dealership for pre buy inspection and pay the price
d) go for the latest model year vs earlier ones
e) pick one of these 2: a) will learn and do my own work whenever possible or b) will pay large sums of money when things go wrong. NOTE: Even a) can easily end up costing LARGE sum of money. Be prepared.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
S550
I'll be shopping for a 2012 or 2013, next year. I'm on my third w221 (2007, 2010 and 2011). I try to buy MB's at about 35k miles and trade in at 95k. I've had good luck, maintenance wise. My biggest expenses have been regular service and tires. I had a bit of warranty left on the 2011, and I had a thermostat changed under warranty.

I think all three of my cars were lease returns.