S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Audio cutting out 2010 s550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Audio cutting out 2010 s550

So I recently had a few sections of my car painted and ever since I got it back from the body shop, my audio has been cutting out. The panels painted include; passenger front door, pass. rear door, pass. Rear qt panel, trunk, driver rear qt panel, and driver rear door. Not sure if the body work has anything to do with it but here’s what I’m experiencing.

When I first start the car, everything is working fine. Then after a few minutes of driving (sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 10minutes) the audio just completely cuts out (except for the seatbelt alert beeping). The navigation still functions properly but am/fm, cd, aux, usb all say device not available. Sometimes I’ll turn the head unit off and on again and it’ll come back on but sometimes the whole screen turns off and doesn’t turn back on except for the ac display at the bottom which will continue to function while the rest of the screen won’t accept any input. It almost seems as if the audio cuts out when I hit a bump or accelerate in a jerky fashion but it will also cut out sometimes in park, so it’s not occurring exclusively while in “drive”. I’ve taken it to Mercedes Benz of calabasas where they charged me nearly $400 for a diagnostic which yeilded worthless results. They told me it could be the satellite control module($1,400), fiber optic cable, or just replace the entire head unit($5,400). They recommended replacing the satellite control module for roughly $1,700 with labor but stated that this may or may not fix the issue. At this point I’m pretty aggravated as I feel like the body shop probably made some careless mistake as many of my interior panels and trunk lining, etc were very carelessly reassembled as they were loose and not “clicked” back in all the way. Also the fabric-like cover inside the wheel well was loose with a few broken clips. But since I’ve been reading about other people’s similar issues, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s just a coincidence that this problem occurred while at the body shop as it was there for nearly three months cause they accepted the job knowing they were extremely backed up and couldn’t begin work for at least a month, but since it was an insurance claim, I let them keep it and proceed with their circus, especially since they were covering my rental after insurance stopped covering after 30 days
Old 12-29-2017, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
it could be fiberoptics line damage