S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key Fob Locked in Trunk - How is This Possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S550
Key Fob Locked in Trunk - How is This Possible?

The other day I put my key fob in my backpack. I approached the locked car and opened the trunk using the handle above the license plate. Then I put the backpack with the keyfob in my trunk and hit the close button on the trunk.

Surprisingly, the trunk closed and the car was locked. I've made the same mistake before and the trunk wouldn't close. All I can think of is my son was trying to unlock open his door at the same time.

2013 S-550 4-Matic
Keyless Go

Has anyone ever had this happen?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Happened to me and I was locked out of my car, trunk locked. I did the same thing, had my keys in the backpack and stuck it in the trunk. My daughter had to drive me the spare key to get back into the car. Dealership said it should not do this but who knows.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S550
Maybe the car doesn't sense the key fob because there are other items around it (i.e. in the backpack).
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
S550
I did the same thing. I was hiking way out in west Texas. On one of the last mornings, I threw a pair of dirty shorts into the trunk as I got ready to check out of the motel. The key was in a pocket. The key worked to unlock the car but wouldn't unlock the trunk after I closed it.

The long version of this fiasco:

1. I was at a hotel in the middle of nowhere. Immediately called AAA. They were sending someone from a Chevy dealer who could get into the car. He was about 30 miles away. The closest MB dealers were 130 miles west or 150 miles east.
2. After a bit, it occurred to me that the Chevy guy might get into the car but not be able to access the trunk. Called AAA back and got this confirmed. They cancelled the lock guy and conferenced me with the MB help center.
3. The help woman said she could remotely open my 2010 s550 but still couldn't get me into the trunk. She said we'd have to tow the car to El Paso , and she ordered a truck. It was then about 11am on a Saturday.
4. Half hour later, another thought occurred-- was anyone going to be working late enough to help, once I got there? Called the MB lady, again, and she found out that the mechanics would quit at 1 but the dealer would be open till 6. She found out that a Mercedes guy would be available to be called in to open/reprogram the car, once I got to town. He'd charge $100 but was completely qualified.
5. Then, I realized that the tow truck wasn't coming from near me but was coming from El Paso, which meant a 5-6 hour round trip. I'd be getting to town late on a Saturday afternoon with no car or hotel and depending on some guy to show up and rescue me. I was tense already and, now, started sweating bullets.
6. On schedule, a very nice truck showed up, loaded the car and me and headed for El Paso doing about 80. I was happy to be on the way but was still worried about getting my car working.
7. When I got 30 minutes out, I called the MB person back (still the same woman), and she contacted the lock guy. Got to the MB dealer, waited 20 minutes, and the lock guy showed up. Gave him a $100 bill and headed back.

TOTAL CHARGES, other than the $100, WAS ZERO DOLLARS. HOW'S THAT FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE? Never been more impressed, and I'm on my 4th s class, now. It's going to be tough to change brands.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
If you have MBrace, you can unlock your vehicle via the Internet
Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
car needs to be read with star/das. one of your rear half of the car keyless go antennas is dead (usually open circuit)