S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 S600 - Power Steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S600
Cool 2011 S600 - Power Steering fluid change

I recently changed the ABC fluid on my 2011 S600 (you should too every so often if you have ABC). Easy to do and could save $$$$,$$ bucks.
I noticed that the manual states Pentosin for the PS fluid as well, BUT when I looked, the green CHF11s is NOT whats in there. Not sure what it is, but it is gold in color.
1. Is there a Gold colored Pentosin I'm not aware of? and if not...
2. Whats the best way to get a drain on the PS pump and rack without making a huge mess on the garage floor...? Suction and refill the reservoir, and repeat?
Thanks in advance
Touringman
Old 02-19-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 S63 AMG Designo Performance P3
I had the same thing happen in 2016 when I had the ABC and Power Steering fluid changed in my 2011 S63. The manual stated Pentosin for both ABC and Power Steering fluid but the dealership put regular power steering fluid in there. They thought it should take Pentosin but when they looked, it had the regular power steering in there so they replaced with the same.

I came to this board and some said I should put Pentosin in there but others said to leave it alone if that is what was in there from the factory. I called several dealers to include an AMG Performance Center and they assured me that the regular gold color power steering fluid is the correct fluid and that some of the MB maintenance manuals are not updated and/or accurate. I left the gold fluid in there.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Mercedes Benz S600
Originally Posted by Touringman
I recently changed the ABC fluid on my 2011 S600 (you should too every so often if you have ABC). Easy to do and could save $$$$,$$ bucks.
I noticed that the manual states Pentosin for the PS fluid as well, BUT when I looked, the green CHF11s is NOT whats in there. Not sure what it is, but it is gold in color.
1. Is there a Gold colored Pentosin I'm not aware of? and if not...
2. Whats the best way to get a drain on the PS pump and rack without making a huge mess on the garage floor...? Suction and refill the reservoir, and repeat?
Thanks in advance
Touringman
Please tell me how you did this? The return line appears to enter the bottom of the ABC fluid reservoir and is buried/difficult to get to. Did you raise the entire reservoir itself for better access?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S600
Originally Posted by lionsfan54
Please tell me how you did this? The return line appears to enter the bottom of the ABC fluid reservoir and is buried/difficult to get to. Did you raise the entire reservoir itself for better access?
No. Much simpler; if arguably not as effective as the dealer. A company called AGA (All German Auto) makes a tool for the DIY folks. This tool and the computer "RODEO" program makes it possible to change the fluid in the garage, on your car in about 15 minutes. the tool replaces the filter in the system temporarily so you can pump the old fluid into a bucket or...? You CAN use the suspension raise and lower button on the dash to do a so-so approximation of the "rodeo" if you dont have the computer program. it is not as effective as the true rodeo method but you still get the vast majority of the dirty fluid out.
you will also need about 11 litres of Pentosin and the MB 3 micron filter.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
lionsfan54 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:12 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
Originally Posted by Touringman
No. Much simpler; if arguably not as effective as the dealer. A company called AGA (All German Auto) makes a tool for the DIY folks. This tool and the computer "RODEO" program makes it possible to change the fluid in the garage, on your car in about 15 minutes. the tool replaces the filter in the system temporarily so you can pump the old fluid into a bucket or...? You CAN use the suspension raise and lower button on the dash to do a so-so approximation of the "rodeo" if you dont have the computer program. it is not as effective as the true rodeo method but you still get the vast majority of the dirty fluid out.
you will also need about 11 litres of Pentosin and the MB 3 micron filter.
Good luck!
http://www.agatools.com/tool/mercedes-abc-flush
Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
Did you ever figure out how to remove old power steering fluid?
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Mercedes Benz S600
Did you ever figure out how to remove old power steering fluid?
Yes, yes I did! Ended up just suctioning out the old stuff from the reservoir and then adding new, Pentosin in. Then start the car, move the wheel around, rev the engine and suction it out again. I did this 3 times until the Pentosin held its color. Figure you'll need about 1.5 liters of the stuff to do the job right. Was easy though.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 S63 , 1997 SL500 La costa edition (sold) 1987 560SEC (sold)
Yes, yes I did! Ended up just suctioning out the old stuff from the reservoir and then adding new, Pentosin in. Then start the car, move the wheel around, rev the engine and suction it out again. I did this 3 times until the Pentosin held its color. Figure you'll need about 1.5 liters of the stuff to do the job right. Was easy though.
So are you saying it's ok to mix the two?
Old 05-26-2020, 04:26 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
Originally Posted by Xguy
So are you saying it's ok to mix the two?
My answer was only in regard to ABC fluid flush. I think they use the same fluid, from the same reservoir but I can't be 100% certain.