S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 ANDROID touchscreen...

Old 12-16-2018, 03:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w221
CKMDES********
Old 12-16-2018, 03:56 AM

w221
Ckmdesign Hit up chris the swede or megacrazy
The following users liked this post:
Kevo79 (04-16-2019)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550
Anyone install this on a w216 CL yet? Chris im very interested in purchasing this setup for my CL, someone please contact me with info on this

chris
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 AM

2010 CL550
Originally Posted by megacrazy
The confusion stems from the fact that the unit comes with 0 instructions, not even a harness pinout. Labels on the plugs are partly English and partly Chinese...so that's no help either.. But whatever, it is made in China after all. Here are connection instructions that I keep for myself for future reference. But wait...I should only distribute these to people that bought the unit from me like all the "vendors" here and Chinese suppliers on alibaba haha. I made these from memory after installing the unit so they should be mostly accurate.

Number 4 on the list does not come with the unit and needs to be bought separately.

Hopefully this helps some people and clears up some of the confusion.

Mega, was this installed on your CL?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts
W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by COUPCONNOISSEUR
Anyone install this on a w216 CL yet? Chris im very interested in purchasing this setup for my CL, someone please contact me with info on this

chris
There is no difference for a W216. All is just the same.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Mega, was this installed on your CL?
Yup it was. Wire colors differ here and there from the W221 otherwise you can use my diagrams to install without issues.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Chris The Swede
There is no difference for a W216. All is just the same.
The unit that is....
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 PM

2010 CL550
Yup it was. Wire colors differ here and there from the W221 otherwise you can use my diagrams to install without issues.
Thank you mega, and chris
where did you purchase from? did any wires need to be spliced? what year is your CL? im seeing some discussion about a "TV box" I dont know if my CL has that. What else do i need to purchase in addition to the unit?

Chris
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Thank you mega, and chris
where did you purchase from? did any wires need to be spliced? what year is your CL? im seeing some discussion about a "TV box" I dont know if my CL has that. What else do i need to purchase in addition to the unit?

Chris
You can purchase wherever. The TV box is a box that ships with the unit that's supposed to make integration with cars that have the stockTV package easier. The other flavor of the unit is with an AUX box...or you can wire straight to the comand and bypass all the nonsense like I did. The only extra part you need is the GPS antenna splitter, which is listed on my diagrams and several other posts in this thread.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:08 PM

w221
After u wire into the commad where does the other end of the harness go? Or what wires do you tap into on the android unit?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:51 PM

2010 CL550
You can purchase wherever. The TV box is a box that ships with the unit that's supposed to make integration with cars that have the stockTV package easier. The other flavor of the unit is with an AUX box...or you can wire straight to the comand and bypass all the nonsense like I did. The only extra part you need is the GPS antenna splitter, which is listed on my diagrams and several other posts in this thread.
i would need the aux box i believe. as my w216 doesnt have the tv option, but it does have the aux, and the ipod,and 3.5mm headphone jack in the glovebox. im interested in the fakra or whatever lol
Old 12-26-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 S550 - Diamond White
Did the no-audio bug from the Android tablet ever get fixed? I'd buy it if works.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
no-audio bug ???
Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 S550 - Diamond White
no-audio bug ???
Yeah, in previous posts it was mentioned that there was no audio working from the Android tablet in the kit and you had to use COMAND's audio for music.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
Talking

Originally Posted by Jefe47
Hello everyone?
I bought & installed 1 of these screens but I don't know how to hook up the AUX harness..... If I splice the the wires into the pins on the back of original command plug, where or what does the other end of the harness plug into?
2. The buttons to raise the car, dim the dash or turn off & on park sensors doesn't work or do anything & I have the orange LIN cable connected to as the instructions say can anyone help please!!!????
I experience exactly the same issue here...
I asked them for a diagram / schematic.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W222 S63L, ML/GLE350
Originally Posted by Bamzilla
Yeah, in previous posts it was mentioned that there was no audio working from the Android tablet in the kit and you had to use COMAND's audio for music.
You always use the comand for any sound.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
3 different factories. 3 versions.. Dont know what differs.
can someone post links for all three versions and the price for each ?
Old 12-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S211, W140, W208
Originally Posted by Bamzilla
I guess you are reffering to my post that I haven't got audio to work. I still haven't but it isn't a bug. The problem is my car that is a Japanese import. It has different wiring than the Euro/US versions. Still haven't got it to work, I have tried 2 different MOST boxes (one which says "W221 AUX 2010-2013", and one which says "W221 with TV") but still no sound. And I don't have the AUX wires as described further up in the thread, so I will not be able to splice the 3 wires directly to the main connector as described in the thread. So, I am a bit confused what to do now...

I am attaching the wiring diagrams for the EU/US version(1 sheet) and the Japanese version(2 separate sheets), if somebody would care to check them out to see if there is any hope for me...

Another question; If I connect the supplied external speaker, will it channel all sound from the Android unit? That might be a last way out for me, at least I would have speach for navi on android unit from the external speaker, and still sound from original comand through the original sound system..

Last edited by paalw; 12-29-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by paalw
I guess you are reffering to my post that I haven't got audio to work. I still haven't but it isn't a bug. The problem is my car that is a Japanese import. It has different wiring than the Euro/US versions. Still haven't got it to work, I have tried 2 different MOST boxes (one which says "W221 AUX 2010-2013", and one which says "W221 with TV") but still no sound. And I don't have the AUX wires as described further up in the thread, so I will not be able to splice the 3 wires directly to the main connector as described in the thread. So, I am a bit confused what to do now...

I am attaching the wiring diagrams for the EU/US version(1 sheet) and the Japanese version(2 separate sheets), if somebody would care to check them out to see if there is any hope for me...

Another question; If I connect the supplied external speaker, will it channel all sound from the Android unit? That might be a last way out for me, at least I would have speach for navi on android unit from the external speaker, and still sound from original comand through the original sound system..
I don't see a way to wire the jap version short of using one of the "boxes" to channel sound on the MOST bus by mimicking the TV/AUX funcitons.

I remember somebody mentioning that the external speaker was used for phone audio only. I tried the speaker and the unit didn't channel any sound to it, though I didn't try phone calls.

However, nothing is stopping you from putting jacks on the audio cables coming from the headunit (red/white/black) and wiring to your own speaker, instead of the AUX port on the COMAND. There are various MOST adapters floating around...see which one works for your version.

I'm going to take a look inside the MOST adapter aka "box" that comes with the unit and see what's inside. I find it strange that it didn't work in your case or mine.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I've been following this thread for a while. This seems like the perfect thing to update this car. I've just been waiting for all bugs to be worked out. Many sell this car because they may want newer tech, better infotainment, and this is pretty cool I must say. MORE PICS if any of your have. Would be cool to see more close-ups and pics a little further back showing the clarity, etc.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
I have the iPod kit installed in my car with a Tune2Air bluetooth doo-hickey, if I installed this would I be able to set my audio to AUX and pair the Android tablet to the Tune2Air and all sound from the tablet would flow through the system in same way it does with my connected bluetooth phone?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:28 PM

S211, W140, W208
I don't see a way to wire the jap version short of using one of the "boxes" to channel sound on the MOST bus by mimicking the TV/AUX funcitons.

I remember somebody mentioning that the external speaker was used for phone audio only. I tried the speaker and the unit didn't channel any sound to it, though I didn't try phone calls.

However, nothing is stopping you from putting jacks on the audio cables coming from the headunit (red/white/black) and wiring to your own speaker, instead of the AUX port on the COMAND. There are various MOST adapters floating around...see which one works for your version.

I'm going to take a look inside the MOST adapter aka "box" that comes with the unit and see what's inside. I find it strange that it didn't work in your case or mine.
Thanks a lot for your effort to help me mega, very appreciated. I haven't thought of the option you mention to connect external speakers directly to the three wires, but that would be a good last resort solution if it works!

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but would it be possible to connect a pair of speakers to the wires, to get stereo sound? If I buy a small set of speakers and hide one under the steering wheel and the other one under the glovebox. Like these for example https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/ts-44
How would the red/white/black connect to the speakers in such scenario? The speakers have 2 wires to connect on each speaker? Red/White to speaker and black somewhere to ground?

Yes that is strange. In my case it made no difference to anything. If I set it to TV in Comand, I would still just get the same "snow signal sound" from the speakers along with the "snow" screen, just as before I connected anything of this..
Old 01-03-2019, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Thanks a lot for your effort to help me mega, very appreciated. I haven't thought of the option you mention to connect external speakers directly to the three wires, but that would be a good last resort solution if it works!

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but would it be possible to connect a pair of speakers to the wires, to get stereo sound? If I buy a small set of speakers and hide one under the steering wheel and the other one under the glovebox. Like these for example https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/ts-44
How would the red/white/black connect to the speakers in such scenario? The speakers have 2 wires to connect on each speaker? Red/White to speaker and black somewhere to ground?

Yes that is strange. In my case it made no difference to anything. If I set it to TV in Comand, I would still just get the same "snow signal sound" from the speakers along with the "snow" screen, just as before I connected anything of this..
Well I would look into a MOST adapter first that would allow you to hook up the lines from the unit.

The speakers are easy to hook up. You essentially have a left/right/ground connections. Every speaker would get either left or right AND a ground. Depending on the size of the speakers you obviously have to power them properly. You could easily get something like this
Amazon Amazon
and some small, powerful laptop speakers. That'll get you decent audio from the headunit and would be easy to install.

Audio from the android unit is not on par with stock anyway so you wouldn't be missing much.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:37 PM

S211, W140, W208
Well I would look into a MOST adapter first that would allow you to hook up the lines from the unit.
I have tried 2 of the ones from the supplier, I wouldn't know what else to look for.

The speakers are easy to hook up. You essentially have a left/right/ground connections. Every speaker would get either left or right AND a ground. Depending on the size of the speakers you obviously have to power them properly. You could easily get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-DRO...C+DROK+TPA3116 and some small, powerful laptop speakers. That'll get you decent audio from the headunit and would be easy to install.
Aha, so if I get only those Pioneer speakers, it would be as easy as white/black to one of them and red/black to the other one? I am trying to not make it too complicated with external power supplies and amps, so if I can avoid that and get useful speech without it, I would try that first.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I have tried 2 of the ones from the supplier, I wouldn't know what else to look for.

Aha, so if I get only those Pioneer speakers, it would be as easy as white/black to one of them and red/black to the other one? I am trying to not make it too complicated with external power supplies and amps, so if I can avoid that and get useful speech without it, I would try that first.
You can definitely try those speakers. I was thinking of something you could install behind the dash easily and get good sound. Don't be scared of the power supply...

Install 3.5mm jack on wires coming from the head unit
give the power supply some power
connect speakers to power supply

install behind head unit

Oh and yes it would be that easy white/black and red/black and you should have some sound.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W221 ANDROID touchscreen...