S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

W221 ANDROID touchscreen...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CL63 AMG (C216)
Originally Posted by megacrazy
Yes that's the AUX box. People have had mixed luck with it. I couldn't get mine to work no matter what I tried. You can definitely tap the wires like you mentioned. The harness that comes with the unit is a 1 to 1 extension where not all pins are being used. If you trace it out you'll notice it uses very few of the pins. The AUX pins have no connection on the other side of the extension.

Also installation instructions are on the unit...in a PDF or something as far as I remember.
I did some more research into the pins and you are correct. I googled W221 Command Pin Out and this diagram popped up. 5 and 15 are the right and left audio and 6,16 are the common audio. This diagram also shows the orientation of the pins relative to the plug direction.

Lastly, FYI I was not sent the two wifi antennas with the screen I got. I emailed Koason about it and they said those antennas are for 4G bands in China so it doesn't apply to us. I have trouble believing that, however I screwed in an antenna off an old wifi router and it seems to fit fine. I'll have to go that route if I can't get good wifi signal when I install the screen.

Last edited by cl63amgdave; 02-20-2019 at 02:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CQHall (03-01-2023)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by cl63amgdave
I did some more research into the pins and you are correct. I googled W221 Command Pin Out and this diagram popped up. 5 and 15 are the right and left audio and 6,16 are the common audio. So in theory you should be able to use either. This diagram also shows the orientation of the pins relative to the plug direction.

Also the two 4x2 plugs I was referring to in a previous post is referenced in the below diagram, it looks like it is used for NAV-TV.

Lastly, FYI I was not sent the two wifi antennas with the screen I got. I emailed Koason about it and they said those antennas are for 4G bands in China so it doesn't apply to us. I have trouble believing that, however I screwed in an antenna off an old wifi router and it seems to fit fine. I'll have to go that route if I can't get good wifi signal when I install the screen.
Are you trying to reinvent the wheel? All this info, including wiring diagrams is literally in this thread. The pins are directly from the Mercedes Comand wiring schematics from SDS.

The plugs you mentioned are not for nav tv. That's a third party product that's unrelated. The plugs are 10 pin LVDS plugs. The comand connects to the display via a serializer which shoots TTL to a deserializer located on the display. It's 3 data channels (+/-), a clock (+/-) and 2 grounds for a total of 10 pins. You can't do anything with those plugs in regards to this project.

The antennas might be 4G as the wifi range is pretty terrible with or without antennas connected. Do a test and see if you get better signal with them connected or not.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM

2008 CL63 AMG (C216)
Are you trying to reinvent the wheel? All this info, including wiring diagrams is literally in this thread. The pins are directly from the Mercedes Comand wiring schematics from SDS.

The plugs you mentioned are not for nav tv. That's a third party product that's unrelated. The plugs are 10 pin LVDS plugs. The comand connects to the display via a serializer which shoots TTL to a deserializer located on the display. It's 3 data channels (+/-), a clock (+/-) and 2 grounds for a total of 10 pins. You can't do anything with those plugs in regards to this project.

The antennas might be 4G as the wifi range is pretty terrible with or without antennas connected. Do a test and see if you get better signal with them connected or not.
No I am not trying to reinvent the wheel. I've looked at your wiring diagram which has been very helpful. The one thing I didn't understand was which one on the command plug were actually Pins 5,6,15 and which direction you start counting the pins from. After seeing the diagram above I understand it now. I was merely sharing it for others who may have needed to see it.

My bad. I'll remove that part of my post.

I'll try it and let you know. Full disclosure, I haven't started starting installing this yet so at the moment I'm just going off videos online and this thread. I'll start on it on the weekend.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 WALD Black Bison S550 4matic
Just received my unit today from Chris the Swede.. I chose to buy from him as he and I shared several conversations prior to the forum banning him for link posting.
I too wanted to be sure I had English speaking, experienced contact and support.. Also the exchange rate was favorable and I got my item for about 750 or so shipped Big thanks to MEGACRAZY as well, your PM directions have been very valuable.

Can I ask a few questions, sorry if they are redundant or have been covered and I just didn't see..
  • If I plan to use google maps and my telephone for navigation here in the USA.. does the GPS antenna and splitter really matter?
  • What the heck is that speaker for?
  • Are some of these included accessories just not needed in our install, such as the 3.5mm headphone adapter parts, wifi antennas, fiber optic loop wires etc?
  • Lastly, how can one be totally sure of the Vehicle type settings and resolution?

I am having a friends shop install this tomorrow.. so I just want to cover all bases.. and I want to have as much information as possible for him ahead of time.

Last edited by Bmccann101; 02-20-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Bmccann101
Just received my unit today from Chris the Swede.. I chose to buy from him as he and I shared several conversations prior to the forum banning him for link posting.
I too wanted to be sure I had English speaking, experienced contact and support.. Also the exchange rate was favorable and I got my item for about 750 or so shipped Big thanks to MEGACRAZY as well, your PM directions have been very valuable.

Can I ask a few questions, sorry if they are redundant or have been covered and I just didn't see..
  • If I plan to use google maps and my telephone for navigation here in the USA.. does the GPS antenna and splitter really matter?
  • What the heck is that speaker for?
  • Are some of these included accessories just not needed in our install, such as the 3.5mm headphone adapter parts, wifi antennas, fiber optic loop wires etc?
  • Lastly, how can one be totally sure of the Vehicle type settings and resolution?

I am having a friends shop install this tomorrow.. so I just want to cover all bases.. and I want to have as much information as possible for him ahead of time.

Here are my thoughts on this:

- Yes the GPS antenna matters. The car antenna has better signal by a wide margin. Yes you can also use the provided antenna and it will work fine. Why use your phone when you can download something like Sygic and have it run on the unit itself

- As far as I understand, that speaker is for outputting phone call audio on some cars. Apparently that was an issue. So no, you won’t need it.

- if you’re taking this to a shop to install, they should know how to do it. You are paying for their expertise. Otherwise you can do the install yourself in about an hour with all the info in this thread.

- Not all accessories are needed. The fiber optic loops and AUX boxes (TV or AUX) are optional if you wire directly to the command.

- There seems to be some confusion about the harness of the unit. It’s basically a short extension of all pins on the back of the command, with some pins tapped for the new unit (CAN, power etc). So you have a male plug into the back of command->short extension->female plug where the original factory male plug goes. The harness also provides audio and video OUT on a separate connector. The wires were white, red, black and yellow with a 4pin connector. You clip this connector off and connect the audio wires to the command AUX pins. You connect these wires however you see fit. I actually have the pins that go into the OEM harness. I took the AUX extension wires out of the harness because they are not used by the new unit at all, terminated the audio out wires and plugged them into the connector that goes into the command unit. You can use wire taps or whatever else works. You also need to relocate the factory fiber optic wires from the stock harness into the plug that goes into the back of the command unit. Otherwise they’d be plugged into a blank extension socket going nowhere.

- Play around with the vehicle type and resolution settings until you get a full correct picture of the NTG system. You won’t break anything.

I am not sure why you guys are so confused by this. There are literally 3 wires that need connecting to get sound. Once you have the units take a look at the harness and it should all make sense haha.
The following 3 users liked this post by megacrazy:
Bmccann101 (02-20-2019), JJKCMO (05-07-2020), vervuurt (03-28-2022)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:14 PM

My dude.. that was the concise information everyone is dying for.. youre a hero my man lol.

Makes total sense now, you hit on all points.. perfect! Thank you so much.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
I asked this question before but never got an answer...

If I have the iPod kit intalled (currently using Tune2Air) would I maintain that functionality on AUX as I'm doing now? Or, better yet, would I be able to pair the Android unit to Tune2Air for all sound output?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216

My dude.. that was the concise information everyone is dying for.. youre a hero my man lol.

Makes total sense now, you hit on all points.. perfect! Thank you so much.
Haha no problem. Post pics of stuff installed or any new info that might pop during install. I am sure some things will be different. The units are made in China after all.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by EasyPhil
I asked this question before but never got an answer...

If I have the iPod kit intalled (currently using Tune2Air) would I maintain that functionality on AUX as I'm doing now? Or, better yet, would I be able to pair the Android unit to Tune2Air for all sound output?
You did get an answer from me....as far as I recall at least haha. I don’t think you can maintain the iPod interface and use this unit at the same time. Also the tune 2 air takes Bluetooth input and outputs over the iPod/whatever connection. That becomes irrelevant. You can simply connect your Bluetooth device directly to the unit via Bluetooth and play music that way.

If it’s physical aux that you’re after...what’s to stop you from splitting the command aux pins into multiple inputs. One could be for the head unit...another could be for 3.5mm aux etc.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic

You did get an answer from me....as far as I recall at least haha. I don’t think you can maintain the iPod interface and use this unit at the same time. Also the tune 2 air takes Bluetooth input and outputs over the iPod/whatever connection. That becomes irrelevant. You can simply connect your Bluetooth device directly to the unit via Bluetooth and play music that way.

If it’s physical aux that you’re after...what’s to stop you from splitting the command aux pins into multiple inputs. One could be for the head unit...another could be for 3.5mm aux etc.
I see...I guess that means you can just install an app like PowerAmp on the Android unit, load your music on an SD card and play it from the unit?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by EasyPhil
I see...I guess that means you can just install an app like PowerAmp on the Android unit, load your music on an SD card and play it from the unit?
Yup, you can do an SD card, or flash drive via USB...or stream from your phone via bluetooth.
EasyPhil (02-21-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
S550
Dear Member - it seems - i have the exact same setup as yours - were you able to figure out the install ?

'i basically have an ipod cable in the glove box and currently i have a bowie bluetooth dongle which intergrates with the system
once i select the AUX feature from command

any advice or guidance would be really helpfull
thank you again
Old 02-25-2019, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
More pics please of pretty screens.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Quick update to hookup instructions.

Cars with media interface. The unit comes with 2 additional harnesses I forgot about.

One that’s essentially a tap on the harness that comes from the car to the back of the media interface plug in the glove box. This would connect to the aux harness coming from the unit. Based on your car’s configuration this plug might not work.

The second plug is 3.5mm audio on one end that would plug into the media interface 3.5mm out and connect into the aux from the android unit from the other end.

Why all the confusion? Well there are many different configurations for these cars. So here’s what I know so far:

- Fiber optic box (AUX/TV box) does not seem to work for anyone so far. If yours is working, post how you got it to work.
- Cars with iPod interface: Completely remove iPod interface and wire directly to the comand aux pins.
- Cars with no aux at all: Activate aux via star diagnosis then wire directly to the aux comand pins.
- Cars with media interface: use provided aux harness and connect to 3.5mm in glove box.
dlafever (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 02:26 PM

2008 CL63 AMG (C216)
Quick update to hookup instructions.

Cars with media interface. The unit comes with 2 additional harnesses I forgot about.

One that’s essentially a tap on the harness that comes from the car to the back of the media interface plug in the glove box. This would connect to the aux harness coming from the unit. Based on your car’s configuration this plug might not work.

The second plug is 3.5mm audio on one end that would plug into the media interface 3.5mm out and connect into the aux from the android unit from the other end.

Why all the confusion? Well there are many different configurations for these cars. So here’s what I know so far:

- Fiber optic box (AUX/TV box) does not seem to work for anyone so far. If yours is working, post how you got it to work.
- Cars with iPod interface: Completely remove iPod interface and wire directly to the comand aux pins.
- Cars with no aux at all: Activate aux via star diagnosis then wire directly to the aux comand pins.
- Cars with media interface: use provided aux harness and connect to 3.5mm in glove box.

Hey Megacrazy,

Thanks for the guide. I ran into a few issues during installation and was wondering if you encountered the same issues?

1. So my AUX halfway works. I've tapped the harness wires into the 5,6,15 pins. When I go to the original COMMAND and set the video to AUX and then go to Bluetooth music in the Android screen to play music, it will play for 5 seconds with some static and then I will lose music. When I go back to the original COMMAND screen and check AUX, it turns off by itself. I'll check my wirings later to see if the wire taps went all the way through because sometimes the wire taps don't go all the way through to the wire.

2. With the heater controls unplugged and wooden facia removed from the car my night vision, rear shade doesn't work and parking guidance is inoperative. When I plug the facia and reconnect everything the rear shade works and parking guidance message goes away but my night vision doesn't work. I contacted Mark who posted a few messages ago and he said the car might need to be updated/reprogrammed by Mercedes for those to work again. Did you have to do all that?

3. Were you able to get the cluster switch (suspension lift, esp off and parking guidance on/off buttons to work?). Originally I plugged the orange wire from the Android unit to the connector to the car which did nothing. I then cut the orange wire from the android unit and tapped it into the grey/yellow wire in your instructions and again it did nothing. At one point I even got the SRS Malfunction light which I've never seen before. Now when I plug the connectors in the wooden facia back it, the passenger light will turn on so that's a step further than before. ESP off, suspension lift and parking guidance still won't work. This one is not as big of a deal as I rarely use these buttons.

Last edited by cl63amgdave; 02-25-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by cl63amgdave
Hey Megacrazy,

Thanks for the guide. I ran into a few issues during installation and was wondering if you encountered the same issues?

1. So my AUX halfway works. I've tapped the harness wires into the 5,6,15 pins. When I go to the original COMMAND and set the video to AUX and then go to Bluetooth music in the Android screen to play music, it will play for 5 seconds with some static and then I will lose music. When I go back to the original COMMAND screen and check AUX, it turns off by itself. I'll check my wirings later to see if the wire taps went all the way through because sometimes the wire taps don't go all the way through to the wire.

2. With the heater controls unplugged and wooden facia removed from the car my night vision, rear shade doesn't work and parking guidance is inoperative. When I plug the facia and reconnect everything the rear shade works and parking guidance message goes away but my night vision doesn't work. I contacted Mark who posted a few messages ago and he said the car might need to be updated/reprogrammed for those to work again. Did you have to do all that?

3. Were you able to get the cluster switch (suspension lift, esp off and parking guidance on/off buttons to work?). Originally I plugged the orange wire from the Android unit to the connector to the car which did nothing. I then cut the orange wire from the android unit and tapped it into the grey/yellow wire in your instructions and again it did nothing. At one point I even got the SRS Malfunction light which I've never seen before. Now when I plug the connectors in the wooden facia back it, the passenger light will turn on so that's a step further than before. ESP off, suspension lift and parking guidance still won't work.
1. That sounds like a Bluetooth issue or wrong settings issue. Check the settings in the unit make sure you have AUX selected. I forget the exact menu but you go to "NTG settings" hold down the first option for 5 seconds and you get 2 more options. One of those menus should have a AUX or TV option. Switch that around see if it helps. What do you mean is switches itself off? What settings does it go to instead of AUX? Does music play fine if you don't use Bluetooth?

2. That doesn't sound related. Yes, you get all sorts of errors with the center section unplugged. They should all clear after you plug everything back in and power cycle the car. Make sure everything is plugged in. Night vision doesn't have anything to do with the center panel.

3. Make sure you tap the correct wire. It'll definitely throw things off if it's the wrong wire. Mine was grey/yellow but colors can vary. I've seen yellow/white and other combinations as well. The ESP buttons and ABC up/down work fine on mine.

Generally, make sure the car is off when you're wiring stuff. Unplug the battery as well just in case. Some errors you might need SDS to clear, like SRS and a couple of others. Also don't start it with stuff unplugged. It tends to throw a fit. My headlights turn on automatically if I have the center panel unplugged.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 S550 Black on Black
Won't the touchscreen play Bluetooth audio from your phone directly? I don't understand why you would want to connect through the "Aux" cable in your car?
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 PM

I don't think anybody understands what this product is.... you're not replacing anything in the vehicle other than a display screen..... basically like putting a new flat screen on your wall at home.

everything that would have normally been plugged into the flat screen on your wall like an Amazon fire box or Roku or your cable box is still all the same. . However there are some sources that are in the TV itself ... which means that if you want to hear them you have to select them just like you would on a TV on your wall... those signals don't magically metamorphosize themself into the audio system . you have to select an input and in most cases it's the aux and in some cases it would be the TV input. so how do you hear anything thru the factory audio system that is created by the new screen/Bluetooth source, USB source, Netflix, YouTube etc?

well you have to select a comand audio input for it.. just like anything else you would listen to .. satellite radio CD Etc

so when you're using any audio Source that's coming into this world through the new screen yes you have to select to listen to that but it's not any different than anything you do for any other source.

Everyone's making this vastly more complicated than it is in rslity, and they're all valid questions, but they can easily be seen in the available videos on YouTube . Hope that helps.
MBKarma (03-08-2022)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550
How do I update this thing wthout losing the boot screen?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I don't think anybody understands what this product is.... you're not replacing anything in the vehicle other than a display screen..... basically like putting a new flat screen on your wall at home.

everything that would have normally been plugged into the flat screen on your wall like an Amazon fire box or Roku or your cable box is still all the same. . However there are some sources that are in the TV itself ... which means that if you want to hear them you have to select them just like you would on a TV on your wall... those signals don't magically metamorphosize themself into the audio system . you have to select an input and in most cases it's the aux and in some cases it would be the TV input. so how do you hear anything thru the factory audio system that is created by the new screen/Bluetooth source, USB source, Netflix, YouTube etc?

well you have to select a comand audio input for it.. just like anything else you would listen to .. satellite radio CD Etc

so when you're using any audio Source that's coming into this world through the new screen yes you have to select to listen to that but it's not any different than anything you do for any other source.

Everyone's making this vastly more complicated than it is in rslity, and they're all valid questions, but they can easily be seen in the available videos on YouTube . Hope that helps.
Very good way to explain this. Makes perfect sense. I always knew this, it’s just a new screen and the guts of the command system are still there behind a NEW FACE with some extra options.

I just want to see more photos of screens that I haven’t seen in the videos.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by COUPCONNOISSEUR
How do I update this thing wthout losing the boot screen?
You already have the latest version. What do you want to update?
Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550
You already have the latest version. What do you want to update?
I’m not in my car at the moment, I thought it said the version was from 2016, but your probably right lol
Old 02-27-2019, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by COUPCONNOISSEUR

I’m not in my car at the moment, I thought it said the version was from 2016, but your probably right lol
Nope that wasn't me. It looks just like the latest version of the firmware so I think you're good.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:25 PM

2008 CL63 AMG (C216)
Originally Posted by Jason B
More pics please of pretty screens.
Here you go! Excuse the missing trim panels. The screen is nice, I like it. Huge upgrade from the original and brings this car up to date.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:37 PM

2008 CL63 AMG (C216)
1. That sounds like a Bluetooth issue or wrong settings issue. Check the settings in the unit make sure you have AUX selected. I forget the exact menu but you go to "NTG settings" hold down the first option for 5 seconds and you get 2 more options. One of those menus should have a AUX or TV option. Switch that around see if it helps. What do you mean is switches itself off? What settings does it go to instead of AUX? Does music play fine if you don't use Bluetooth?

2. That doesn't sound related. Yes, you get all sorts of errors with the center section unplugged. They should all clear after you plug everything back in and power cycle the car. Make sure everything is plugged in. Night vision doesn't have anything to do with the center panel.

3. Make sure you tap the correct wire. It'll definitely throw things off if it's the wrong wire. Mine was grey/yellow but colors can vary. I've seen yellow/white and other combinations as well. The ESP buttons and ABC up/down work fine on mine.

Generally, make sure the car is off when you're wiring stuff. Unplug the battery as well just in case. Some errors you might need SDS to clear, like SRS and a couple of others. Also don't start it with stuff unplugged. It tends to throw a fit. My headlights turn on automatically if I have the center panel unplugged.
Thanks. It seemed to have worked and AUX will remain selected. Still no music but I believe it is because of the wire taps, I'll check those in the next few weeks, I'm out of town so I don't have to mess with it further. Still waiting on my Fakra cable (almost here) before I start working on it again.

Hmm I'll check it again to see if there is another color, mine is an 08 and I did tap the grey/yellow wire. Maybe it has something to do with everything being plugged in. I haven't tested it with everything plugged in yet.

SRS light went away and hasn't come back on, it was a one time thing. I also noticed my headlights were on automatically as well and could not be turned off. I'll post an update once I have time to mess with the system again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W221 ANDROID touchscreen...