S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Dealership Flashed my ECU - Now Backup Camera No Longer Works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 S550
Dealership Flashed my ECU - Now Backup Camera No Longer Works

My transmission blew up a clutch pack and had to be replaced.
Dealership did and excellent job and updated the TCM to the latest version.
However, my backup camera was not OEM, but rather an aftermarket camera. Dealership said it's aftermarket and can't re-initialize it (not my fault a $96k car didn't come with a BU camera).
Now it seems that I have to pick up a Vehicle In Motion (VIM) harness and install this with the code that tells the ECU command module to allow the display to show the rear view.
I've checked with a few high end auto stereo shops and only one of them seemed to know anything about it and they were a little vague. Saying that they don't like to work on BMW's or Mercedes cars.
Just seems such a waste to spend $235 to install the module then remove it just to trick the ECU into showing the backup camera.
Anybody have any alternative ideas or suggestions?
TIA,
Sal
Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I am not following what you are saying and what it would have to do with the ECU or transmission coding. The OEM backup camera sits on CAN-B and connects to the COMAND control unit, which when in reverse, activates the camera. I am not sure how your camera was installed but it sounds like a COMAND coding issue if nothing is being displayed when the car is in reverse?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Aftermarket backup camera and TCU update should have nothing to do with each other.

More likely when they were doing the work on the transmission something related to the backup camera got disconnected. Maybe they yanked a wire or something.

Depending on what the problem is, look at the wiring and start from scratch. Does it power up? (if not, check ground and power wiring). Does it power up but show no video? (check cables to backup camera, etc.) Perhaps your camera died or part of the system went flaky around the time they had the car.

Something is up with your aftermarket system and/or the wiring for this system. I'd have someone familiar with electronics check it out. They are usually very simple (power, ground, camera wiring, etc.) and relatively easy to diagnose.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 S550
Nope, on a car that didn't come with a factory backup camera the default ECU flash does not permit it.
Cars that came without a camera will not display any video while moving (even in reverse) unless Command Telematics has been updated.
This is only an issue with 2007 & 2008 m/y cars.

Camera worked 100% of the time before the trans was replaced. So the dealership must have flashed everything back to OEM. More than likely this was done in order to load the TCM v.3 to my trans conductor plate since the new trans had the latest mod valve body.

@megacrazy you are correct, it is a coding issue, I have double checked the camera output video through a portable monitor with the single video RCA output and it worked.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...on-s-class-cl/

I was looking for a high end auto stereo store that could update the telematics because evidently my dealership doesn't know how.

My windows are so darkly tinted with ceramic tint that I NEED a backup camera.