S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Very easy dashcam install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:08 PM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Very easy dashcam install

Looked at a lot of different ways to do this, including pulling off trim and hunting for fuses to tap into.

Found a WAY easier way to do a dashcam install in a 2007 S550 (should be same for all W221

Stick the dashcam to the trim that covers the mirror base. That way it's basically on the windshield but you never see the cam.

Pull the headliner down gently on drivers side and stick the wire behind it.
Look at the rubber weatherstripping that seals the door. It basically pulls off. This is the weatherstrip between the metal (ie. door jamb) and cloth (ie. interior carpet, a-pillar trim, etc). Shove the wire in the cavity that is exposed on the 'interior' side of the pinch weld. You'll see the pinch weld that the rubber sits on put the wire on the 'interior' side of this. Run it all the way down till you get to the bottom edge of the dash.

Push the rubber back on. Remove 3 torx screws that hold the under dash cover on (where the cover meets the dash you'll see the 3 torx. Put the wire in and resinstall.

Now open your cupholder door and look at the 2 rubber bumpers in the corner. They pull out and there are 2 torx behind those. Remove torx, pull cupholder.

Now the cigar lighter/ash tray assembly slides rearwards and comes out.

Now snake the wire you pulled from the dash cam into the ashtray area. You don't need to go behind the console, just pull it between the vertical and horizontal parts and the gap is big enough for a thin wire to go through.

Three wires on the cigar lighter - left one is brown, middle one (can't remember) and right side (can't remember colour). Use the right side one (opposite side from the brown).

Install wire tap to this wire. Below the cupholder you'll see two torx bolts that hold the console to the body of the car. Loosen one and put your ground wire underneath with a proper crimp ring.

Reinstall and all good. Dash cam comes on with the car in accessory or run mode, then shuts off when you power it down.

I played with lots of fuses and spent 2h trying to find a good fuse that ran only in the ignition or start position. Then I spent no more than 15 mins and installed it this way.. came out perfect!

Just posting here since I finished it minutes ago and remember most of the details. It's really quite easy.

Only tool you need (other than wire stripper/crimps/etc) is a torx screwdriver
The following users liked this post:
Gramma_Benz (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLC 63 AMG Coupe
Which DC did you use?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:09 PM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by K507
Which DC did you use?
Aukey Dr02 J from amazon

it is called a 4K cam but apparently it is 2.6k. It wasn’t more expensive than their HD camera so i bought this one. They also make the HD cam as a dual channel if you want a back camera too.

I bought a hardwire kit that takes 12v one end and outputs mini USB on the other. Simply wire it to the cigar lighter and go

99% of people would never see the cam in my car. It’s visible from outside but only if you are looking for it. Inside it is behind the mirror so basically invisible.

I dont need need to see the sceeen other than. To adjust it once. Now it’s hidden and I can always pop it off the mount, plug a USB cord and laptop into it, or remove the micro SD if I need video from it.
The following users liked this post:
Gramma_Benz (10-30-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 S550
BHA,

Upload some pics please.

Hd