MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221-74/)
-   -   Analog Clock / COMAND-APS NTG3 Problems (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/727345-analog-clock-comand-aps-ntg3-problems.html)

KiloWatt 11-16-2018 04:49 PM

Analog Clock / COMAND-APS NTG3 Problems

Hey all,

I experienced a weird problem related to the clock functions recently (June 2007, MY2008 S320CDI, European version). First I thought this was caused by old and weak batteries, but swapping both the engine bay and trunk batteries (original parts from MB dealer) did not help unfortunately.

The analog clock does not synchronize with Comand time any more. After disconnecting and reconnecting the power in the trunk, the pointers move to 12.00 and it starts running like a "stand alone" clock. Yes, if I reconnect the power at 12.00 exactly it will show time approx. correctly (at least for a while I guess).

The Comand system receives the correct time by GPS as it should but does not seem to transfer this time to the analog clock anymore. Moreover, the date in the Comand system is incorrect (March 2003) and it cannot be corrected manually before it receives GPS signal. If I try to correct it manually, it will change the year to 2018 but hop back from November to March, when it receives GPS signal.

The official MB dealer's workshop made a software upgrade in order to solve the problem, but that did not do any difference unfortunately. They are clueless regarding this phenomenon and suggest a new Comand unit (a hefty 4000 EUR).

Any ideas that could avoid a new Comand unit would be greatly appreciated? And no guarantee from the dealer that a new unit would fix the problem of course...

(Unfortunately, I got "distronic plus inoperative" and "park assist inoperative" messages right after I left the MB dealer's yard. I brought the car back to the dealer and a faulty right front bumper radar sensor showed up in the SD. The dealer said it has no relation whatsoever to what they did to the car. Very strange coincidence as Distronic Plus and Park Assist had worked absolutely flawlessly for many many years.)

Beeson 11-17-2018 12:54 AM

I posted about this the other day and someone replied to try and change the time on key position one. Mine was glitched for a few days but I kept messing with it and ultimately fixed it. The clock on mine just changed by itself one night. Keep trying to change the time back to normal. Also odd, but totally not related, after having these glitches I was driving on the highway and got a “cruise control inoperative” message. It went away after cycling the computer (turn off car->open door->close door->start car.) What’s odd to me as that many people are starting to experience this glitch. My date was going back to March 22,2018. Which seems to be the date others were going to.

KiloWatt 11-17-2018 03:55 AM

Wow that's odd, thanks for sharing your experience! EXACTLY, March 22, 2018 it is.

Could updating the map data help in any way? My map data is a couple of years old so it's due for an update anyway.

I going to open another thread regarding the annoying Distronic Plus / Park Assist issues.

S70Houston 11-17-2018 12:43 PM

Exact same issue for me, EXACTLY. March 22, 2018 it is.
My clock as well did not update at first, but eventually did. Date is still wrong, but that does not bother me as it is not visible while inside the car.

There must be some kind of glitch somewhere that we all get the same date.

KiloWatt 11-17-2018 03:20 PM

Actually, today it had reached April 3 2018. It just seems to go on running from the day the power was reconnected.

Noticed today that Comand will show the manually entered time and date correctly after it loses GPS signal (car is parked garage over the night). As soon it receives the GPS signal, the date hops back again. Extremely odd.

McCasian 11-17-2018 05:52 PM

Hi,

I run into exact same problem like you, but in addition the memory seats are also not working. I suspect also some memory issues, because Seats cannot save or read from the memory, date is not stored in the memory, and the analogic clock doesn't read any information from the memory. This is only what I suppose to be

KiloWatt 11-18-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by McCasian (Post 7606191)
Hi,

I run into exact same problem like you, but in addition the memory seats are also not working. I suspect also some memory issues, because Seats cannot save or read from the memory, date is not stored in the memory, and the analogic clock doesn't read any information from the memory. This is only what I suppose to be

Yes, that makes sense, good point! Not unusual that memory starts getting problems after a decade or so. Is all that memory (including seats etc.) located in the Comand unit?

McCasian 11-18-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by KiloWatt (Post 7606719)
Yes, that makes sense, good point! Not unusual that memory starts getting problems after a decade or so. Is all that memory (including seats etc.) located in the Comand unit?

unfortunately this is still a question for me too.

Do you also encounter issues with the memory seats?

KiloWatt 11-18-2018 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by McCasian (Post 7606810)
Do you also encounter issues with the memory seats?

Only the odd coincidence with the Distronic Plus system ( https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...st-issues.html ) after the Comand software was updated. Seat memory and everything else work without any issues.

McCasian 11-18-2018 05:36 PM

In this case, I am afraid that I am not really right considering that some memory can be the root cause.
I see that the date is actually evolving every day, but it still have the offset(today-2003 some month). When I park the car in some underground parking lots, the car loses the GPS signal and the date can be then manually adjusted. When the GPS is reconnected, the date is again automatically adjusted to year 2003.
I can‘t figure out why do I have this date offset, and how to „adjust“ it.

KiloWatt 11-19-2018 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by McCasian (Post 7606828)
In this case, I am afraid that I am not really right considering that some memory can be the root cause.
I see that the date is actually evolving every day, but it still have the offset(today-2003 some month). When I park the car in some underground parking lots, the car loses the GPS signal and the date can be then manually adjusted. When the GPS is reconnected, the date is again automatically adjusted to year 2003.
I can‘t figure out why do I have this date offset, and how to „adjust“ it.

Yeah, it's so weird. Got the 2003 year first too after I reconnected power in the trunk. But after manually adjusting the date without GPS signal it only went back to march 2018 and is now running from there. I think it's April 6 today. Very odd. Maybe your trunk battery is worn out so that it starts similar to a reconnection of the power?

I think it still could be a memory issue. Depending on where the memory has gone bad, different things are affected.

KiloWatt 11-23-2018 10:16 AM

Found out that lots w221 (and even 211) owners have the exact same problem in Germany since a couple of weeks.

​​​​​​https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/datu...-t6474878.html

They have not been able to fix this problem. They just have come up with a couple of workarounds to correct the displayed time and arrival time.

KiloWatt 11-23-2018 10:47 AM

Could be this issue, Comand firmware is probably sometimes not able to handle GPS weeks > 999:

https://spectracom.com/resources/blo...-you-need-know

Hatzenbach 12-02-2018 02:39 PM

I found a workaround on the German Forum:for not being able to set the clock:
When you get into the car first thing in the morning, you have a short time window (maybe 1 min) where you can actually adjust the clock via Command
So wait until the car had a "good night's sleep" and give it a try.

KiloWatt 12-02-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach (Post 7619047)
When you get into the car first thing in the morning, you have a short time window (maybe 1 min) where you can actually adjust the clock via Command

Yes, that works. In my car something is so oddly wrong that the analog clock won't accept the input from the Comand anymore. As the analog clock always starts at 0.00 when power is connected, I disconnected the power in the trunk, waited until it was exactly midnight and reconnected the power. Since then the analog clock shows the correct time.

kunzy80 12-15-2018 08:34 PM

Dear All
all the above information is soo helpfull - unfortunately -i have been affected by the same problem
anyone came up with any other workarounds then the 1 minute window - or the date changing in a garage where gps is not working

It makes me soo frustrated that the analog clock is showing the wrong time :(

KiloWatt 12-17-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by kunzy80 (Post 7630897)
Dear All

It makes me soo frustrated that the analog clock is showing the wrong time :(

If you cycle power at midnight as I described, the analog clock should show the correct time. Mine has shown the correct time for more than a month, and time for Comand navigation is working without an issues too. No problems at all (until next DST I guess).

kunzy80 12-17-2018 03:43 PM

Thank you soo much for the response - i apologize for sounding like a complete dummy
but please can you help me with a step by step cycle power at midnight

your help is greatly appreciated

Regards

KiloWatt 12-18-2018 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by kunzy80 (Post 7632299)
Thank you soo much for the response - i apologize for sounding like a complete dummy
but please can you help me with a step by step cycle power at midnight

your help is greatly appreciated

Regards

Sure, no problem at all!

I put the car in a my garage (not sure if it's necessary, if the weather is fine). At least 15min before midnight I open the trunk and lift the floor. To the right you will find a thick black cable that is bolted to the metal chassis of the car. By loosening the bolt and bending away the cable you will cut the power from the accessories battery. Secure the cable to make sure it doesn't touch any metal surfaces.

30 seconds or so before midnight, reattach and bolt down that cable again. Do not wiggle it unnecessarily so that it loses contact again during the tightening process, make sure it gets one good contact, hold it against the metal and tighten the bolt.

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Pitek 12-19-2018 10:17 PM

Worked for me!

Hi Hatzenbach,
My car was affected by the same problem on past Saturday. The analog clock was off (slow) about three and a half hours. I tried to set the correct time and the date. It did not allow me to save the new and correct data.
I turned for help to this Forum and I found your suggestion/solution.
I "gave it a try" "first thing in the morning". I adjusted both the time and the date via Command in less than 40 seconds after entering the car. I saved them.
It still held the new settings after work in the afternoon. I have just checked it again (about 14 hours later since the morning), and it is still correct. Let's hope it will stay that way. I am crossing my fingers.

Thank you,
Pitek

Pitek 12-23-2018 04:00 PM

Update

Originally Posted by Pitek (Post 7634419)
Hi Hatzenbach,
My car was affected by the same problem on past Saturday. The analog clock was off (slow) about three and a half hours. I tried to set the correct time and the date. It did not allow me to save the new and correct data.
I turned for help to this Forum and I found your suggestion/solution.
I "gave it a try" "first thing in the morning". I adjusted both the time and the date via Command in less than 40 seconds after entering the car. I saved them.
It still held the new settings after work in the afternoon. I have just checked it again (about 14 hours later since the morning), and it is still correct. Let's hope it will stay that way. I am crossing my fingers.

Thank you,
Pitek

Hi again,

Just a quick update. The correct and newly set up time is still correct on the analog clock.
However, the date reset itself to the previous and incorrect date. I tried, again and again, to set it up. It resets itself overnight.

Thanks,
Pitek

Pitek 12-24-2018 11:10 AM

I have just checked the date today in the morning. It correctly shows the correct date: December 24, 2018. It corrected itself overnight.

Rimola 01-05-2019 09:24 PM

Ran into the same issue about a week ago. Glad I ran into this thread. Will give it a try myself as well.

McCasian 01-22-2019 09:22 AM

Hello,

I have found some solutions to my problems:

1. Not working memory seats - That was happening because I changed the old battery to the new one, and all windows, sunroof, steering wheel and seats had to be "recalibrated", this meaning that you have to turn windows, sunroof, steering wheel and seats in all directions from minimum positions to maximum positions. Then everything worked like a charm

2. Analog clock adjustment - Go somewhere on an underground parking were you have no GPS signal at all, wait a few minutes and then you are able to set the date and time from minute to minute. Also the analog clock will then sync with COMMAND and will remain as it should overnight, at least so happened to me. I have also read somewhere that you are able to adjust it immediately after unlocking and entering the car, because in the first 20-30 seconds the car is not yet connected to GPS satellites

Regards,

MrTracy 02-26-2019 06:04 PM

Sleep

"Wait till the car had a good night sleep" LOL that is funny as hell. Whats not funny is that I have the same problem with my S550