S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Odd Distronic Plus / Park Assist issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S320CDI
Odd Distronic Plus / Park Assist issues

After this visit in the MB dealer's workshop that included an update of the Comand system ( https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-problems.html ), I got Distronic Plus / Park Assist inoperative messages at the first traffic light stop right after I left the dealer's yard.

The dealer says there is no connection whatsoever to what they did in the workshop and state it must be a really strange coincidence as Distronic Plus worked absolutely flawlessly for many many years before this workshop visit. They say a faulty right front bumper radar sensor is triggering this issue according to Star Diagnosis and want to start replacing it as a first step without being sure it will help.

This does not make sense to me as Distronic Plus / Park Assist works flawlessly for a couple of minutes after the engine is started. Restarting the engine even without opening the door will make it work again for the couple of minutes. Shouldn't a faulty radar sensor trigger the error message immediately if this is really the source of the problem???

How can the system work perfectly for a couple of minutes with a faulty radar sensor and then reproducibly shut everything off with the error message every time?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-17-2018, 03:35 PM

S320CDI
A software update of the Distronic Plus system unfortunately did not make any difference. Swapped left and right radar sensors and checked all connectors behind the front bumper. Again no difference.

It will be interesting to check on Monday if it is still the right sensor that shows up in Star Diagnosis now that I swapped them. If it's the left one now, I guess that sensor really became defective right during the workshop visit. Otherwise I really don't no what's going on? Strange coincidence either way.

Today I measured the time it takes for the error message to show up and shut off Distronic Plus: 4 min after the engine is started (every time). It does not matter if the car wasn't moved (engine just idling in P), going at high speed with Distronic on or off, etc. It all makes no difference.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM

S320CDI
The error in SD followed the swapped sensor. So, after replacing it, everything is back to normal so far (regarding the Distronic Plus/Park Assist issues).

Very odd that such things have happened to this car right after leaving the yard of the official MB dealer's workshop quite a few times.