S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Cold weather causing a few problems with ABC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Cold weather causing a few problems with ABC

Decided to do a late night Walmart run and noticed some odd behavior on my 08 s63 With ABC. It’s about 5 degrees f in Chicago at the moment. The fan was running very loud. From beginning to end. Even after shutting the car off. Car was at regular operating temperature the whole time. I’m thinking it might be a thermostat issue.

Then after getting up to temp I would hear the power steering pump moan a little when turning. Then I look under the hood to find what looks like hydraulic fluid leaking from the power steering tank. I open the tank and saw lots of bubbles. Almost foam in there. What could I have going on? Could it just be the cold? I’m thinking maybe the accumulators have ruptured and caused nitrogen to be shot back into the system causing the bubbles. Also maybe the moanimg due to low fluid levels due to the now ruptured nitrogen tanks filling with hydraulic fluid.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Old 01-23-2019, 12:34 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
There is a filter within the reservoir, when it clogs up the fluid foams and overflows. Remedy is to replace the reservoir
Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by knowbenz
There is a filter within the reservoir, when it clogs up the fluid foams and overflows. Remedy is to replace the reservoir
so it will overflow from the power steering reservoir? You say the remedy is to replace the hydraulic reservoir (with the pop dipstick) or the filter? I ordered the filter but it’s a few days away. Are you saying the entire reservoir contains a non replaceable filter inside? I was under the impression there was a replaceable micron 3 filter under the cap. Anyone have a part number on the reservoir?

Last edited by Zerocarpileup; 01-23-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Quick test for fault codes. Attachments cover filter and flushing (if necessary) https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/345.0_en.html

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 AM

Benz
Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup

so it will overflow from the power steering reservoir? You say the remedy is to replace the hydraulic reservoir (with the pop dipstick) or the filter? I ordered the filter but it’s a few days away. Are you saying the entire reservoir contains a non replaceable filter inside? I was under the impression there was a replaceable micron 3 filter under the cap. Anyone have a part number on the reservoir?

No the P/S reservoir has an internal filter. This is from a 216 CL550, same reservoir. all the grey stuff is debris covering the screen filter, mesh in the screen is very fine. I have one portion cleaned out on bottom pic for comparison.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 AM

Benz
You can verify if its plugged by turning the wheel back and forth multiple times, depending how plugged it is will determine how long it takes to foam. sometimes right when the car is started and wheel turned once, sometimes ten times. Either way the system should have no problem keeping up with that kind of demand and will not foam or overflow on a properly functioning system
Old 01-25-2019, 01:33 AM

2008 S63
You can verify if its plugged by turning the wheel back and forth multiple times, depending how plugged it is will determine how long it takes to foam. sometimes right when the car is started and wheel turned once, sometimes ten times. Either way the system should have no problem keeping up with that kind of demand and will not foam or overflow on a properly functioning system
so the filter you show is inside of the power steering reservoir I have circled? Or the other reservoir with the dipstick? I found a filter in that tank also. How did you remove the filter from the reservoir?

Old 01-26-2019, 01:40 AM

Benz
Yes, inside that power steering reservoir is the filter shown in hand in the pictures. It is not serviceable, have to replace the reservoir. I got that out by cutting the reservoir along the seam in half and pulling it out

You have the ABC reservoir pictured with replaceable filter.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 PM

2008 S63
While attempting to replace the pulsation damper, the bolt at the top sheared right off. Any ideas on how to get it off now? 08 s63.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 AM

Benz
While attempting to replace the pulsation damper, the bolt at the top sheared right off. Any ideas on how to get it off now? 08 s63.
Which bolt?

The 17mm thing on top of the damper itself?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM

2008 S63
Which bolt?

The 17mm thing on top of the damper itself?

yes, it broke off trying to turn it. It was impossible to turn even with the bolt, I can’t imagine it turning with a strap wrench.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 PM

Benz

yes, it broke off trying to turn it. It was impossible to turn even with the bolt, I can’t imagine it turning with a strap wrench.
Air hammer with a chisel end, kind of dig into the housing in the direction to unscrew and they pop loose. old ones didn't have the nut so you have to do that unless pulling the pump