S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My S550 Exhaust and Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 W221 S550 (mine), 2006 W211 E350 (family's), 2015 W205 C300 (family's)
My S550 Exhaust and Update

Hello everyone, haven't posted any updates in a while to my car so figured I do a quick right up. About a month or two ago I finally caved to the modding desire and decided to modify my exhaust. After countless hours researching the forum I decided to take bits and pieces from other people's setups and have mine built. I decided to do a resonator delete, secondary cat delete, and a custom X-Pipe welded in place. All of the fittings and pipes were stainless steel and the pipes were factory size (can't remember if 2.5" or 3".) I had everything done at Performance Exhausts in Evansville, Indiana, and they did an absolutely wonderful job. Cost was $425 or so after tax, but well worth it imo. The sound is very good, deep, and aggressive but not loud or obnoxious.

Honestly, the most impressive thing about it was the performance gains. I noticed significantly more power through my butt dyno and so did my friends. It feels more responsive and significantly quicker. In a spirited run in Mexico, it drastically closed the gap between my friend's 2015 Charger RT (5.7 Hemi, ZF 8 speed, 370HP, straight piped) and mine. In a run done on a private road in Mexico, the cars used to be pretty close until the Charger got into third gear eventually gapping the S by like 5-6 cars lengths. Now it's consistently the same with the Charger leading with half a car gap to V-Max. It just feels like the car is running better. I'll attach some clips towards the bottoms (or links to clips.)

Last night I ordered a tune for the M273 through OE Tuning which had some rave reviews on the 211 and 212 forums. It should be here soon and I'll give my review/thoughts on that. Other than that the car has been great and I've been driving it a lot. I'm currently at 99,910 miles in my driveway and she's still running like a champ. I replaced the old, worn out original Xenons with Osram Xenarc 7K bulbs tonight and I'm super happy with the outcome. They're extremely bright, but the cutoff is perfect so I don't blind everyone. The color is a perfect white with a slight blue tint too. It's not rice-y or anything like that, but reminds me of modern cars with LEDs. It's actually a little less blue than the Adaptive Intelligent LED system in my family's C300 W205 but I think even brighter. I tried to replace the Fogs with LEDs today, but I forgot to order resistors that plug in and it would just flash off and on due to the can bus. Also, despite what some on the forums say, you do NOT have to remove the wheels to get to the lights. I just turned the wheel all the way to the right and undid the clips/screws/retainers in the drivers side to remove the plastic liner with the wheel still on. It was annoying but worked. The passenger side is VERY easy though and only requires removing one bolt on the coolant reservoir and tilting it away. Then just unscrew the cap and go for it. (Also, I say this as a 6'3-6'4 impatient teenager with really large hands. ) It's significantly easier than the halogen setup on my family's E350 W211.

I also updated the sound system, but I'll revise my previous thread as that doesn't interest everyone .

Osram Xenarc 7K Xenon bulb

Lowbeams

The following users liked this post:
SALES@OETUNING (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 s550 4matic w221, 2014 GL 450 X166
Very nice! I too am interested in having this done. I am to understand that your car still has the factory mufflers correct?

Thank you for sharing
The following 2 users liked this post by Madhatterman:
Beeson (06-19-2019), SALES@OETUNING (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Sounds good. Pics under the car???? And let us know if you gas mileage gets better, after you done flooring it, cause that last tank is gonna be horrible.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Madhatterman
Very nice! I too am interested in having this done. I am to understand that your car still has the factory mufflers correct?

Thank you for sharing
Yes my car has the factory mufflers. Oddly, the Sport Package exhaust is actually different than the normal exhaust and has AMG logos stamped all the way back to the resonators and secondary cat. It sounded good stock but really quiet. This is a happy medium and I love how aggressive it sounds on the inside.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
Sounds good. Pics under the car???? And let us know if you gas mileage gets better, after you done flooring it, cause that last tank is gonna be horrible.
Honestly about the same, if not slightly better. My average was around 13-14 MPG last year with a mix of city and high (I’ve always had a lead foot) but has been around 15-16 lately. But take that with a grain of salt because my job is much farther away now and it’s mostly highway. The car hasn’t ran anything but 93 octane in the past two years and I did notice a slight bump in economy after I did a chevron Techron treatment. I’ll take some pics later. I have some old ones of the factory AMG mufflers though, which throughly surprised me.

Stock AMG muffler on the Sport S550

Last edited by Beeson; 06-19-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Realize exhaust system modifications that are not EPA approved, especially removal of the secondary cats, is a federal crime. In states that require emission testing, your vehicle will not pass unless it has an OEM or EPA approved exhaust system. This may also be an issue at the time you decide to sell or trade your vehicle. See https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...hsysrepair.pdf
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by steveb9771
Realize exhaust system modifications that are not EPA approved, especially removal of the secondary cats, is a federal crime. In states that require emission testing, your vehicle will not pass unless it has an OEM or EPA approved exhaust system. This may also be an issue at the time you decide to sell or trade your vehicle. See https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...hsysrepair.pdf
I live in Indiana and we don’t have emissions tests and I only removed the secondary cats. The secondary cats only have a slight effect on cold starts before the main cats warm up (or so I was told.) There wasn’t any O2 sensors or anything connected to them and it doesn’t throw a CEL with it removed.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:56 PM

OETuning M273 tune

Today after work I decided to finally install my tune from OETuning. My first reaction is WOW! It seems pretty similar in the first few gears, but the true difference is in the highway pulling speed. It just relentlessly pulls and never runs out of steam. Once I get more experience and the car fully adapted to the tune I’ll do a full write up. But as of right now I’m happy out of the box. Also, don’t know if this is a placebo (or even possible) but a few of my friends and I remarked the exhaust sounded slightly different after the tune. Just more aggressive in the lower revs. The first gear pull is pretty “gnarly” for lack of a better term. Accelerating from 3500-4000k RPMs in first gear throws you WAY harder in to the seat than before.

The tuning process was pretty simple, even for a first timer. The MyGenius device and softer worked very well and took a total of about 30-40 minutes going back and forth from the car to a desktop (not including the wait for OE to email you back, but they’re pretty punctual and their customer service seemed VERY good. Answered my questions really quickly and politely.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 s550
Interested

OTE=Beeson;7782636]Hello everyone, haven't posted any updates in a while to my car so figured I do a quick right up. About a month or two ago I finally caved to the modding desire and decided to modify my exhaust. After countless hours researching the forum I decided to take bits and pieces from other people's setups and have mine built. I decided to do a resonator delete, secondary cat delete, and a custom X-Pipe welded in place. All of the fittings and pipes were stainless steel and the pipes were factory size (can't remember if 2.5" or 3".) I had everything done at Performance Exhausts in Evansville, Indiana, and they did an absolutely wonderful job. Cost was $425 or so after tax, but well worth it imo. The sound is very good, deep, and aggressive but not loud or obnoxious.

Honestly, the most impressive thing about it was the performance gains. I noticed significantly more power through my butt dyno and so did my friends. It feels more responsive and significantly quicker. In a spirited run in Mexico, it drastically closed the gap between my friend's 2015 Charger RT (5.7 Hemi, ZF 8 speed, 370HP, straight piped) and mine. In a run done on a private road in Mexico, the cars used to be pretty close until the Charger got into third gear eventually gapping the S by like 5-6 cars lengths. Now it's consistently the same with the Charger leading with half a car gap to V-Max. It just feels like the car is running better. I'll attach some clips towards the bottoms (or links to clips.)

Last night I ordered a tune for the M273 through OE Tuning which had some rave reviews on the 211 and 212 forums. It should be here soon and I'll give my review/thoughts on that. Other than that the car has been great and I've been driving it a lot. I'm currently at 99,910 miles in my driveway and she's still running like a champ. I replaced the old, worn out original Xenons with Osram Xenarc 7K bulbs tonight and I'm super happy with the outcome. They're extremely bright, but the cutoff is perfect so I don't blind everyone. The color is a perfect white with a slight blue tint too. It's not rice-y or anything like that, but reminds me of modern cars with LEDs. It's actually a little less blue than the Adaptive Intelligent LED system in my family's C300 W205 but I think even brighter. I tried to replace the Fogs with LEDs today, but I forgot to order resistors that plug in and it would just flash off and on due to the can bus. Also, despite what some on the forums say, you do NOT have to remove the wheels to get to the lights. I just turned the wheel all the way to the right and undid the clips/screws/retainers in the drivers side to remove the plastic liner with the wheel still on. It was annoying but worked. The passenger side is VERY easy though and only requires removing one bolt on the coolant reservoir and tilting it away. Then just unscrew the cap and go for it. (Also, I say this as a 6'3-6'4 impatient teenager with really large hands. ) It's significantly easier than the halogen setup on my family's E350 W211.

I also updated the sound system, but I'll revise my previous thread as that doesn't interest everyone .

Osram Xenarc 7K Xenon bulb

So i have a 2008 s550 and im yrying to go today to do the exhaust system. Im in florida and doing the 2nd cat and res delete. With stock mufflers. My cat has the amg styling package number 772. I was told to buy the magnaglow sport mufflers. Im not doing that yet but do you get the drone sound in the cabin? And what stereo upgrade did you do. I saw the seicane and it looks great. Also eventually I'm gonna do the control console facelift as well. I got 20 inch rims for free staggered!!

[/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
SALES@OETUNING (11-28-2023)